Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The absolute state of (Widely seen as) boring but necessary roles

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    The issue for engineers, mts, doctors, (and for a point mps) is that everything that made the role interesting has been removed.

You cant hardwire anything as an engineer anymore, or rewire things to fix power. Wires were removed. Generators were removed. Things like electrified grills. Atmos etc.
    You cant really build much of anything as a squad engineer but cades, and that is boooooring as fuck which is why no one does/wants to anymore.

For doctor, all the difficult things are gone. No more infections, necro, etc. Lung surgeries require a single autoinjector that we dont even have to make anymore. In fact, most doctoring nowadays seems to be stuffing people into the autodocs. Its mindlessly repetitive and boring.
    Ce and mts have NOTHING to do but load the OB and start the generator. Its a meme role.

All of the changes above have been to reduce lag and some of them good. But its at the expense of anything that made the role interesting.
    MT's have one very important and interesting job. Such job is to create RAGE CAGE and alcohol in maintenance and keep it secret from MP's while still letting PFC's to know about it.

Every job was dumbed down (but not combat roles for some reason... hehe). Doctor can be replaced with medbot who could be programed to stuff people into autodoc and entire engineering team could be replaced with floor bots who could be programed to repair engine. Hell, remove MT's and add maintenance drones for ghosts to play.
    Shipside now doesn't have anything to do, or to RP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the beginning of 2019 I was learning the game and after a week I decided to try to learn engi, I am chatting with fellow FOBits building cade lines having a good time learning.

Next round of Solaris another Engi was making the cades too close together and since I read the engi wiki I knew it was bad because it was easy for body blocking to occur, so I decided to learn how to move the cades a tile or two forward to make breathing room. However as I was reading the wiki on how to make a built cade movable a random SL walks up to the cades and calls me a retard for making the cades too close and basically repeated why I was trying to move it and the worst part was, when I asked if they knew how to move cades or at least give me an idea on how far I should move it they told me to fuck off and not play engi, and they literally just walked off.

So I am sitting here thinking, what the fuck if you're gonna criticise me for something I didn't do, helping me understand how to fix the problem would of been nice or at least not being a dick about it. Anyway I read the wiki as I didn't want to prevent the other engis this round from building the other side of the LZ and I don't really ask for help unless someone is right there or I really don't know how to fix/do something I find learning on my own more fun but I understand asking for help when you need it is important.

Anyway I fixed the cades added more defences and when xenos poked at it they got hurt, which was oddly satisfying, skip to later I am comfortable in the role and know what to do, even occasionally create the magnificent MEGAFOB. But the sad thing is, xenos never attack the FOB when I build it, like NEVER maybe once or twice out of the good few rounds I played. So skip forward some more I feel like actually shooting something, so I go PFC and head out with the squad to the front, and when I come back to the main LZ only to see a shitty single sandbag wall protecting the FOB really hurt.

Due to not fighting much I lacked robusto and ended up getting dead'd by beans, and I watched at how the xenos melted that FOB, the sad thing is I had fun that round but I was really annoyed with the how the FOB was built but didn't feel like playing Engi, that was a week ago and I still haven't touched Engi since. So that is why I actually occasionally help out engis at FOB and advise them on how to build it, instead of cursing them and leaving but it will be a while before I play engi again.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do need intern roles or a "crewman" assistant type role that can assist any department

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up playing PO because its essentially just hitting a button to move transport back and forth, marines will also treat you like utter garbage for no reason. Everytime I've done CAS nobody has JTAC and I've just sat there for two hours doing nothing.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because these roles received no updates for the past XXX years (CT) or have been nerfed in terms of fun (MT)

Honestly just apply for synth

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    We do need intern roles or a "crewman" assistant type role that can assist any department
    Such role would have to have basic skills in every department. PoWeRgAmInG!!!!!oneoneone111111!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    Assist with what? every shipside roles requires pushing 2 buttons max and walk a couple tiles

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    Assist with what? every shipside roles requires pushing 2 buttons max and walk a couple tiles
    Yeah, just play those roles. It's not like anything really bad happens if you fuck up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the problem with Squad Engineers is:
    1) You build FOB for around 5-10 minutes
    2) Then FOB is being breached in 2-3 minutes (Depending on how many marines are left/How many sentries you have), durning which you are just running around welding stuff (Super interesting job)
    3) Repeat

Personally im worried about M56d damage currently, becuse before update of the armor the MG was great against the queen and all other xenos (It dealt a great amount of damage), and now it just much much worse then the Sentry (Sentry with almost 100% accuracy, Greater fire rate (=Greater Damage), and well auto shooting).

Also as was said before most of marines will not use your cades to hide behind, and just run off in open field to get killed (Greatest example are medics, and tablefort cades; You made a square for them so they can heal people up dont worry about getting hit=They will heal everywhere around the square).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think alotta the old heads have just enough drive to shit on new people but not enough to help make the next generation prepared to do things right,it’s real hard to learn some of these things flying in the blind,and while the wiki covers a lot more than most,there’s still blindspots and assholes constantly dragging you down drags the fun out of discovering things