User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Distancing from the Aliens Universe might be a blessing in disguise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distancing from the Aliens Universe might be a blessing in disguise.

I think we all have noticed several changes happening to, admittedly minor, elements of the server, namely changes from Copyright-Protected names and so on, Weston-Yamada instead of Weyland-Yutani for example, in order to avoid getting a call from "The Mouse".

While this might seem like an unpopular, if understandable design decision, it offers great opportunities for new ingame elements.
    Sprite artists and developers can now make creative decisions without having to reconcile them with any source material. In essence, they have way more creative freedom than before. We now have the chance to see weapons, equipment, items, or mechanics that are either wholesale original creations by the team, or just references to other IPs, without any need to base it on a singular fictional universe.

So, what do you think of this idea? Stupid, or did I manage to make you think about it?

Also, I am aware that several players have a rather cynical view of the developer team, with thoughts of them wanting to make CM13 into "2D Call of Duty" going around, but let's ignore that for a second. Maybe this thread makes them reconsider, who knows?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Staffmemes will stick to the Aliens like glue anyway. You won't get much new things during this Neo-Apop era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The changes are shit tbh. If I wanted to play in a fanfic-tier setting I would play corporate mercenaries. The game is low rp as it is, why sink it deeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from petioning Fox/Disney not to get butthurt, I really don't see the Dev team having any other choice but to roll with the changes.

Granted those changes could either be good or bad as OP said but I'm willing to trust the Dev team and the community to steer the ship in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dislike the changes and think it will be worse for the atmosphere overall (what hooked me on Colonial Marines was just how immersive it was into the Aliens lore)... that said, the devs aren't the ones to blame for this, Fox is. All we can do is give them credit for handling these changes as gracefully as they can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Silence and Grub on this. I joined CM because it was an Aliens Game. Seeing it lose its identity, and not by choice either, is just really upsetting.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined this server because it was/is set in the Alien's universe. TBH, I'll have a hard time sticking around if we switch to CM:SS13 Fanfic edition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weston Yamada is.. not.. seriously name. I mean, it's strange. It's ruining every atmosphere. Bring back old good Weyland Yutani which sounds like real corporation.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/weston-yamada-1376208a

CEO of this new corporation seems like a nice pred.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm indifferent about the entire change to it, granted it is annoying to have to run away from the entire identity of the server's original inception.

But to you all that want to stay as is/was, the heck are you gonna do. We NEED to change. We can't use Weyland-Yutani & Potentially the Aliens because big bad angry Mouse and the scummy FOX's don't want us using their dumb copyright. If we keep it as is, we will be fighting corporations and their Cease & Desist stupid lawsuits because they don't like people using their license cause WAHH WAHH I WANT ALL RIGHTS AND MONI FOR THIS THING, SO NO YOU NOT ALLOWED TO USE IT.

This is literally the only way for the server to keep living (unless you are prepared to take down the big corpos and win, which YEA WE SHOULD AT SOME POINT SO W-Y DOESN"T BECOME A REAL THING). As it stands there's no way we can currently stand up to them but this sadly.
    Last edited by Grentex; 12-20-2019 at 05:15 PM.