User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the In Character reason to ignore virology?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the In Character reason to ignore virology?

When on Solaris Ridge marines NEVER go virology, they head straight to ETA, Lambda and the east side of the map.

Just wondering, when admins PM you accusing why you are using meta knowledge of where the hive is, how do you justify your actions? What are the actual reasons to ignore virology completely when it is in fact the closest lab both the LZ1 and Telecommunications and would take literally 2 minutes to check?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's in the name. Not exactly the sort of place people would like to breach if they could avoid it.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the idea is if there's a disaster and there's a virology lab in the area, the limit of your search involving it is to make sure the outer walls and doors aren't breached and then go on your way. Last thing you want is to bust open the doors and find that there's some incurable airborne virus that got loose in the lab (either as a result of the disaster/incident that led to the distress signal or a result of you breaching the lab) and everyone's infected now.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume there's a biological disaster and I don't want marines in there. Power and comms are obviously priorities since we'd actually need them up to fix the colony. So are medbay and obvious Civ locations, so sending marines to scout out there make sense. If you send marines to those places you'll see xenos soon anyways. Imo Big Red is the easiest map to IC justify deployment locations.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why they tell you to set up power and not breach stuff. So you can be like oh I was in engineering and saw 1 xeno so I unga charged into the caves looking for them and found an entire hive. Same reason they send you to crashed ship and not civ residence, so you can be like oh I was in crashed ship and a xeno that lives 4 feet from me came in my view so I got the whole platoon to charge with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOCly, I think more or less it is just that people forget it exists.. Or at least I feel that way.

Kinda like how ICE has large swaths of land that often go unexplored (both above and below ground), Big Red also has some parts of the map that often don't get a lot of attention. The Virology lab is kinda out of the way, and while people do pass by it, they often don't acknowledge it being there until they see a lot of weeds growing on the walls or they already crushed lambda and ETA and don't know where else to look but there.

When you get used to a routine, it is easy to ignore certain places out of habit, like how the nearby general store hardly gets any traffic, and hydro RARELY sees much company.

Course, once the DEFCON update is prepped and ready, expect people to blow into virology more often early in the round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renomaki View Post
    OOCly, I think more or less it is just that people forget it exists.. Or at least I feel that way.

Kinda like how ICE has large swaths of land that often go unexplored (both above and below ground), Big Red also has some parts of the map that often don't get a lot of attention. The Virology lab is kinda out of the way, and while people do pass by it, they often don't acknowledge it being there until they see a lot of weeds growing on the walls or they already crushed lambda and ETA and don't know where else to look but there.

When you get used to a routine, it is easy to ignore certain places out of habit, like how the nearby general store hardly gets any traffic, and hydro RARELY sees much company.

Course, once the DEFCON update is prepped and ready, expect people to blow into virology more often early in the round.
    Hey Reno, do u have a link to the info on a DEFCON update. I�ve heard a little bit about it, but not really where.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, IC reasons are - first you check civ buildings and only after that breach any research facility. Being the closest to LZ1, Viro is the furthest for marines after the initial scouting. I believe, every unga rush can be far-fetched quite easily...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vispainius View Post
    Hey Reno, do u have a link to the info on a DEFCON update. I�ve heard a little bit about it, but not really where.
    Alas, I don't know much about it myself, let alone got to experience it.

All I know is that it'll give incentive to fully explore maps and play defensively over constant, poorly planned rushes, meta or otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renomaki View Post
    Alas, I don't know much about it myself, let alone got to experience it.

All I know is that it'll give incentive to fully explore maps and play defensively over constant, poorly planned rushes, meta or otherwise.
    From what I saw in an event-type round the admins ran a week or two ago, aliens got bonuses from staying on the defensive, marines got a lot of bonuses from recovering intel, such as being able to get thousands of metal and plasteel, deploying the tank or a full platoon of troops as reinforcements, eventually having the option to just nuke the planet, which does exactly what it sounds like.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere