User Tag List

Thread: khlorghaal - Developer Application (Multiple)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

khlorghaal - Developer Application (Multiple)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Khlorghaal

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Multiple

If Coder, what languages?
    C/C++, Java, Kotlin, Python, Javascript, assembly

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    none

Proof of any previous or current work:
    How well do you know Git?
    comfortable with branching, can push without generating merge commits, not comfortable with squashing or rebasing

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I can do coding if required, but there was a bit of controversy last time I applied so I'm not focused on that, especially since I'm busy with my own game.

My application this time is focused on spriting. I'm a newb at vfx and need experience. Ideas I can think of for effects include:
    fire which tessellates better
    shockwaves for explosives
    queen scream shockwave
    blood spatter animations
    ricochet/spallation dust
    better spit projectiles
    visible pheromone sparkles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Khlorghaal, at the moment we only accept applications that are specifically geared towards one of the three areas defined within the Development team. Mapper, Spriter, and Coder. While we're aware the form allows the selection of multiple, and internally more often than not the defined roles fall short of the skillsets of our team members, we require your application focus specifically on one of those three, with only brief mention of your other skills.

Seeing your final section response, I will be treating your application as a spriter application. It will be viewed as such from now on.

Having reviewed your DeviantArt and Git commit history, I see you're very interested in generative media and artworks. While certainly applicable to other developments, we have an internal set of sprite rules that all Spriters are required to follow, and your style doesn't exactly fall in line with what we expect to come from our Spriter team.

In order for me to issue you the Spriter test, I'm going to need to see some examples of more traditional artworks and spritework if applicable before seriously considering your application for the testing stage. By 'traditional' I refer to direct application of color to canvas, medium does not matter. Water colors to digital gouache art, etc. Anything that's been made at your hand, and not generated.

If you do not have additional work to show, you can instead write a brief section on how you think you'd be able to contribute to the game sprite wise, what tools you are familiar with in that regard, and explain your personal understanding of the CM art style.

I look forward to your response(s).
    Last edited by Triiodine; 01-10-2019 at 08:42 AM.

I am the art style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Blender particles + fluidsims to generate flipbooks. It works well for any resolution.
    Also I don't have to be a hard-committed team member either, I could just ask what is wanted and submit things.

Two things I've done recently, though I've not done much period, which is why I need the exp.
    https://gyazo.com/51ae23adc762283d9796391900427477
    https://gyazo.com/f3d4f51b68549e8d1402f5fcdef69cb3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to the exceptionally unique nature of your application, I'm afraid I will be unable to issue you any of the documented tests we have on file. However, instead of auto-declining your application, I will instead ask of you a few things since I am interested in what you have to offer.

However, understand that there is a stark difference between being a contributor and developer. Developers have direct access to the codebase, which as you know is closed source. Contributors need not make applications, however understand that we rarely accept contributions for development work, contribution is more suited for Wiki-Work and it's assigned staff.

Please export three of your simulations to these specifications:

32 x 32, 6 FPS, Full opacity on all 'simulated' pixels. Semi-transparency is not supported within Byond import functions.

I am the art style.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To cut to the chase here, your application has been declined based on internal discussion with the development team. I apologize if this has or does cause you any inconveniences.

While I personally find your application very interesting, it is very much not applicable to the game or codebase. Particle systems violate the art standards we have set in place at the moment, and will likely stay that way for the duration of the games existence.

If you would like to reapply at another time with a more proper portfolio geared towards our sprite style, we would be happy to see it. We appreciate the interest in the codebase regardless. Best of luck with your future particle simulations and adventures into generative artwork.

However, until then, application declined.

I am the art style.