User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: do you like sorokyne?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eh..from what I've seen, it's okay, like other say, too big though, better than ice/prison, worse than bigred/lv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best map, looks good plays good and i love the DS sieges

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Sorokyne is one of the worst of the maps in rotation, possibly THE worst.

The tight spaces, slow movement, lag, and intermittent freezing cold blinding snowstorms just make the map slow and aggravating to play on.

I honestly think the map needs a complete do-over, and should take some inspiration from Corsat, which I feel plays WAY better.

Things sorokyne needs:
    1. Wider lanes so there's room to actually maneuver
    2. Lanes, as in, actual lanes, like DOTA and LOL have. Like Corsat has. Paths which xenos/marines push back and forth, with defined flanking paths, rather than wide open everything go anywhere
    3. Less snow space. Cut out 90% of the snow; create some sort of open battlefield type area like LV has at the river, have that be where the snowstorms and snow are, with the rest of the map being clear

These changes would help speed up the gameplay, and make the fights more fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes the same mistakes that all the other new maps make, and also doesn't learn from the mistakes of Ice

its basically underground Ice except worse since its jungle walls instead of r-walls with tons of flank points that can't be dependably covered (since most of the fighting happens in far caves as everything before caves is a MASSIVE clusterfuck of CQC buildings that neither side wants to fight in)

it looks good as a map, but so does Ice, yet it fails in its primary objective as a CM map; be mechanically good.

to make it better as a map it has to either cut out the atrocious blinding effect from storms so more fighting can be done in the spacious snow areas or make the inside buildings wider by one or two tiles to not make it so bad that marines need to CAS / Mortar / OB the shit out of them to make way for any sort of long term fighting

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    makes the same mistakes that all the other new maps make, and also doesn't learn from the mistakes of Ice

its basically underground Ice except worse since its jungle walls instead of r-walls with tons of flank points that can't be dependably covered (since most of the fighting happens in far caves as everything before caves is a MASSIVE clusterfuck of CQC buildings that neither side wants to fight in)

it looks good as a map, but so does Ice, yet it fails in its primary objective as a CM map; be mechanically good.

to make it better as a map it has to either cut out the atrocious blinding effect from storms so more fighting can be done in the spacious snow areas or make the inside buildings wider by one or two tiles to not make it so bad that marines need to CAS / Mortar / OB the shit out of them to make way for any sort of long term fighting
    Yeah I've noticed that most of the time on Ice and Soro marines will just bomb the shit out of any area that the xenos can turn into a choke point (north hangars, east LZ1, most buildings).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marines do that not simply because it's the easiest/effective choice, but because everyone who tries to physically push these tight buildings and chokepoints quickly dies, the marines get pushed out, and xenos have the numbers that pushing back in becomes impossible without the fire support.

It's not planned so much as an organic consequence of map design and gameplay.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what I mean, there's no reason for marines to try and push on Ice or Soro since you can just call in CAS until all the buildings are destroyed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    Exactly what I mean, there's no reason for marines to try and push on Ice or Soro since you can just call in CAS until all the buildings are destroyed.
    .... You know, that is basically the US Army's actual approach to urban combat for small units where there are no civilians, and the threat of heavy casualties is real. Rather than spending the lives of your troops (the old "Soviet" approach, as some might say), you use the enormous amount of supporting arms and indirect fires to neutralize those chokepoints.

I would like to get dedicated UGL grenadiers with demo grenades for that purpose, but with our (specifically MY) bad luck at launching grenades in tight spaces, it is probably for the best that we use indirect fires.
    Last edited by Jackson T. Murphy; 01-16-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling, adding idea about grenades

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson T. Murphy View Post
    .... You know, that is basically the US Army's actual approach to urban combat for small units where there are no civilians, and the threat of heavy casualties is real. Rather than spending the lives of your troops (the old "Soviet" approach, as some might say), you use the enormous amount of supporting arms and indirect fires to neutralize those chokepoints.

I would like to get dedicated UGL grenadiers with demo grenades for that purpose, but with our (specifically MY) bad luck at launching grenades in tight spaces, it is probably for the best that we use indirect fires.
    Oh man a grenade that could tear down a wall would be fucking amazing.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson T. Murphy View Post

Yeah, I do know. It's effective in this game too for the very same reason, no cover means that fire support is even more effective. So if you destroy the cover, marines have an even easier time.