User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Corporate Liasions Should be Traitors (Sometimes)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Corporate Liasions Should be Traitors (Sometimes)

In one of my favorite movies of all time (and what, I presume, inspired this mod) the corporate liaison, Burke, eventually attempts to betray the marines in an attempt to try and bring back a xenomorph to the company.

Taking this with the fact that many of the other games on SS13 revolve around traitors, it makes no sense that the CL role cannot sometimes be rolled (or faxed by Weyland-Yutani) to do or be something treacherous. This is not something I think is optional, really. It is literally against the spirit of the Alien films for the CL to just be a hapless goody two-shoe, as treachery is in both of the original classics (as it is in Prometheus and Covenant as well).

Why Corporate Liasion would be a great idea:

1. It would give the CL something else to do.

2. It would make the rounds more interesting for people who stay shipside, especially the MPs who are so antsy due to how boring their job is that they'll arrest someone over the slightest infraction.

3. It would make the round more exciting just in general! Imagine if a CL was sneaking around the ship, up to weird stuff: sabotaging an engine; bribing a marine to smuggle an egg from his office (as Burke basically tried to do); or stealing something from the RD's room? Imagine how much more rewarding an MT's round might be if he found the CL sabotaging an engine and beat him down with a wrench, or if the MP found out that the CL was impregnating marines in his back office and put a stop to his evil deeds once and for all?

Perhaps the synth, as well, could occasionally be a traitor! After all, the synth in the original alien movie (Ash) also ended up betraying the rest of the crew, as did a synth in Prometheus and Covenant. Anyways, a traitor CL/synth is a fucking awesome idea and there's really no reason not to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently you forgot the motto of the server, no fun allowed. The main argument people will make against it is that it will weaken marines having an antag on the ship sometimes, and remember winning is more important than fun. Though I'm all for the idea, as really the CL should have his own evil agenda instead of just pretending to be evil like right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, to be fair, you can go down to the colony yourself to take pictures and the like, and if you find an egg, well, nothing is stopping you from going back up and breeding it. You have all the access needed as CL, and Research has all the needed items between the cells and the spare box of monkey cubes in the storage. We like initiative, well written faxes, and I personally like it when the proper format is used. So while you can't self antagonize yourself, you can still do shady things, and it might even result in corrupt xenomorphs or objectives if you're lucky.

In fact you can bribe people to smuggle eggs and otherwise do things for you, I do it all the time. Of course I also get tazed or beat up when I do that, but that comes with the territory of shady corporate rep.

Most of this is all currently stuff that's classified as an event though, but it might someday exist as something else, who knows. Try making a suggest on gitlab after getting feedback here, you never know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was offered a cup of coffee by a CL yesterday actually when i told the CO that i was not feeling good he was offered a cup of coffee from CL as well. We tested it turns out it was lexorin. The CL was executed via firing squad fun times.

I was crippled whole round though some times they are given objectives i believe not sure.
    Aden Cooper

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trench007 View Post
    Apparently you forgot the motto of the server, no fun allowed. The main argument people will make against it is that it will weaken marines having an antag on the ship sometimes, and remember winning is more important than fun. Though I'm all for the idea, as really the CL should have his own evil agenda instead of just pretending to be evil like right now.
    Actually our main reason for not wanting to do this was that it would make the marines jump at any opportunity to lynch the CL even more so if they were occasionally an antagonist. Antagonist CL was discussed a lot amongst the dev team and it's not as simple as ABC. If we had random antagonist rounds for them the marines would never trust or interact with them regardless of their status and they'd definitely be getting lynched a bunch, because we can't trust the majority of marines to keep their thick skulls in check.

Last we discussed, Tobi (I think) was interested in writing up a big rework for the CL with corporate alignment options with different sets of objectives for them to follow out, with different good or evil rewards. But that was a few months ago. A lot of us are really busy with existing projects that have been wrapping up for a good month or so now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
    Actually our main reason for not wanting to do this was that it would make the marines jump at any opportunity to lynch the CL even more so if they were occasionally an antagonist. Antagonist CL was discussed a lot amongst the dev team and it's not as simple as ABC. If we had random antagonist rounds for them the marines would never trust or interact with them regardless of their status and they'd definitely be getting lynched a bunch, because we can't trust the majority of marines to keep their thick skulls in check.

Last we discussed, Tobi (I think) was interested in writing up a big rework for the CL with corporate alignment options with different sets of objectives for them to follow out, with different good or evil rewards. But that was a few months ago. A lot of us are really busy with existing projects that have been wrapping up for a good month or so now.
    You have to also give them a way to help the marines that is relevant enough for "lynch the CL" to not be the go-to whenever things go wrong. That, or give them some kind of leverage where lynching them can come back to bite the marines in the ass. Then you can make them occasionally hostile, and they'd be a good addition to the game as opposed to largely being ignored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually our main reason for not wanting to do this was that it would make the marines jump at any opportunity to lynch the CL even more so if they were occasionally an antagonist
    That sounds like a really fucking easy issue to circumvent, give the CL something he can bribe marines or other personnel with, something that rewards cooperation with the CL, that way a marine will not just randomly kill or grief the CL because collaboration could bring in much more rewarding gameplay benefits than just killing him and getting marked for permabrig. Obviously not an infinite supply of this item but maybe a limited quantity, such as that the CL should have decide well when and who to use it on. This item whatever it might be would have to be given to the CL all rounds to prevent metagaming of ";CL HAS [name of the item], HE TRAITOOOORRRRRR!!!!11"
    Last edited by SilentMountain; 01-01-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly just want PMC and USCM fighting each other more often, make CL do shit and then see a bunch of masked operatives arrive, give it a shot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is verymuch true.

I have lads in my department as an MP who will jump to nailing the CL for the slightest thing, despite doing nothing really wrong.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd only be repeating things I have already said here, but I believe it should be down to the individual to make their own agendas up as CL, and inform WY via fax of their progress. What really does need to happen beyond all doubt, is staff need to reply to the CL more often when they send a decent fax which is asking them for something. Even if those intentions are not bad. Like trying to set up a wondrous pizza party to foster loyalty to the company.

I once loyalty implanted the CO/XO/CE/RO in a single round and had them all gather together inside the Captains office where I sat in the Captains chair giving an inspiring speech of building better worlds and taking over the ship for WY, to much applause. Though the Captain took things a little far over coms making it obvious to all what I was doing. For which I was promptly executed. However the entire time I had been faxing WY with updates and requests for support from the company to see this through, I had no reply.
    Taken further on another round I took over the MP force on the ship and planned on using them to seize command of the ship, only for the admin staff to tell me and those involved that this was against the rules. This is one of those cases in which I believe MP's should be given permission to break the rules for the sake of RP.

So to reiterate, no need for antagonistic roles, merely more reciprocation via faxes from the staff. CL's need to do the work and figure out for themselves what they want to do.