Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nesting Gameplay 2020 Discussion

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by havokman View Post
    I see nobody is willing to point out the elephant in the room, which is that the entire facehugging->bursting gameplay element is a shit mechanic that will never not be shit, and the design tweaks that it has gotten recently are the equivalent of polishing a turd. We can get into a discussion of how much agency should a nested player have, how many Xenos should be devoted to the xenos equivalent of FOB duty, how many larva should burst out of half a dozen baldie retards when they effectively throw the match in favor of xenos by wandering out of the FOB and getting capped an hour into the round, how to make the carrier less aids etc, but no matter how much you shine it up, hugging and bursting will always be a lump of poo.

Spicy take - tell the person doing the new xenos sprites to hurry up and get them in a semi-polished condition, get Cakey or whoever to finally release the Structures update, and then jettison the entirety of xenos lore and the facehugging+nesting+bursting system, and have the new non-IP-infringing xenos fuel their replacements entirely off permadead bodies, which become draggable only once permadead. Then balance the game so that turning bodies into more xenos is a significant but not overwhelming bonus for having good map control over an area where xenos inflicted casualties over marines, instead of a braindead easy way of turning a guarenteed xenos loss into a boring 40 minute hour stall and then 40 xenos coming up on the Alamo because each fuckwit marine who gets capped gives 1-4 xenos, who eventually become worth 3-12 marines once they and the other xenos who use the extra t2/t3 slots they provided get the chance to mature. This way, we don't have to have a discussion about how to balance between making xenos miserable by having them guard captures who will kill themselves and possibly take a couple of xenos with them given half a chance, and making marines miserable by having the last 5 minutes of their round be spent tied up in a pitch black resin box with nothing but the sounds of resin doors opening, the comms chatter of other marines actually having fun, and an aching sensation in their stomach to keep them company.
    This. I said this on Discord and basically everyone was in agreement, the xeno gameplay loop of acquiring marines to get more xenos is bad. Multibursting is bad. Permanent nesting is bad. Just give xenos a certain number of respawns/burrowed larva at the start of a match and that is ALL they get. Give them the option to get more spawns/lives by accomplishing objectives or something, a xeno version of defcon.

And yeah all the people who have been saying for years that the devs are xeno mains or don't even play the game are only vindicated now, since this change is something only an extremely bad xeno player would want.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just played queen recently on Corsat, evolved in a dying hive. This new nesting shit went from seven xenos up to 25ish in half an hour, when marines were literally at doorstep of the hive. I didn't even bother setting defences or anything, literally just left nests full of marines about 20 tiles away from combat and was enough to gather even more by screeching and neurotox spamming each time I went back. Remove this shit, it's broken, especially combat queening.

"B-B-Bwuuht it takes longer to nest!!!" bullshit, rofl, adding 4-5 secs more doesn't do shit against castes that literally capture.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah exactly. 10 second nesting doesn't matter when carrier exists and can just throw a facehugger at you that stuns for 2 minutes, or a warrior can punch you into paincrit.
    Or a runner can tackle you once and then devour you, spit you out next to a sentinel, and then you get nested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever play xeno you'll see that usually 2/3rds or more of the useful nest guards refuse to leave the frontline. Nest guarding is just not fun, saying that "it's a sentinel's job" will never be an effective way to get anyone to stop having fun and return to the nest to be bored.

This change will likely get removed as it is too much of a buff for xenos, but I think there does need to be a middle ground change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am of the opinion that this update was nothing but a step in the right direction, just maybe one that needed some secondary updates to accompany it. Sitting in the hive as a sentinel and watching marines is boring as FUCK, but there are other changes that can be made (Like maybe removing devouring) which can A. make marines more likely to be rescued, and B. give marines more of an opportunity to fight back before they are nested. I hope this isn't reverted.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spookydonut View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.
    ah thats unfortunate, I was hoping TGMC would go 24/7 and not jettison aliens lore so all the MUH RP douchebags would go there and CM could be fun again.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before the 3 second delay, I really enjoyed both nesting and being nested, especially when there are nearby marines/larva the tension is high and I personally got a rush of adrenaline the few times I have escaped long enough to break even on the burst/killed larva ratio. As for sentinel, it's boring as shit to nest people who literally cant resist for three whole seconds after getting up, i used nest guarding to git gud at old sentinel, and would spend many a round juggling multiple hosts with little to no help, it was personally enjoyable and while i understand most people dont like it, I love it. Before the delay anyways, now it's dogshit, if you're gonna get rid of this pivotal part of the lore/aliens experience, just axe it entirely and think of something else because this is the definition of unfun.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straight up buff for benos.
    Compare this to marines who could abandon LZ and FoB and get 0 punishment for it. Marines can't do it, because the will be fucked, benos now can have 100% of their forces deployed in battle.
    Remove/reduce-to-few-tiles beno x-ray vision to balance it out so marines can sneak past benos and fuck their main hive, so they are forced to have some guards anyway, just like marines have to. - Just for now, untill:
    Add those beno structures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta agree, pretty clear xeno buff here, and it WILL need counterbalancing.

But, the whole nesting mechanic is really meh in the first place, so as people have said, step in the right direction.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The update is absolutelu baffling and removes a fun part of the game completely. When able to resist out of the nest, you still have a small, very small chance to get out, while giving the xenos a challenge in keeping captures secure.

Now it's just: get infected>log out.

Why are we catering to shit xeno players who have no patience in getting better and taking the fun challenging parts of the game away? Whats next, aim assist? Oh wait..
    Last edited by Dorkkeli; 01-11-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho