User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you be a Bug?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maybe, at least as a special event.

23 25.00%
  • Yes, I want to collect limbs and suck brains.

51 55.43%
  • No, acid runs through my veins.

18 19.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would you feel about a new alien species?

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimo View Post
    smart apes from planet of the apes
    Ehh, we already have Delta for that.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BatHoovyDood View Post
    Ehh, we already have Delta for that.
    It applies to Delta? You obviously didn’t see the word “smart” in that description.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a different alien species would be really cool but it would require a massive amount of development. Not knowing whether you're going up against Xenos or not would be super interesting but like I said, the devs would practically have to make an new game.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the alternative sprites more than the current ones.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we should put to use those amazing non xenomorph sprites that triio spent like 2 years making then got canned aside

Maybe a better and easier way of adding new antag faction, would be to have different "hive strains" that queen players could choose. Each with different stat upgrades but also downgrades to balance them out, and keep marines on their toes as they never quite know what type of xenomorph their fighting. Maybe even a special hive specific caste or strain for each one
    Last edited by Dreven; 05-08-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    we should put to use those amazing non xenomorph sprites that triio spent like 2 years making then got canned aside

Maybe a better and easier way of adding new antag faction, would be to have different "hive strains" that queen players could choose. Each with different stat upgrades but also downgrades to balance them out, and keep marines on their toes as they never quite know what type of xenomorph their fighting. Maybe even a special hive specific caste or strain for each one
    My god, imagine if the roundstart queen could decide to be necromorphs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post

This has the possibility to lead to so much round start saltiness, especially once a meta gets established:

“The queen chose X strain? F it, I’m going cryo.”
    “We’re xenos, we cant cryo.”
    “Not with THAT attitude.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanna do my part!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't speak for anyone else, but I have a couple concerns:

1. A big part of why I play a lot of xeno is because, like others have said, they're xenomorphs.

2. Starship Troopers bugs, regardless of whether you're talking book-canon where MI are the big brothers of Space Marines with pocket nukes and standard-issue flamethrowers or movie canon where they're basically underequipped PDF, are cannonfodder themselves. They die in droves. If you wanted to do them properly (and this applies to pretty much any serious full-replace antagonist faction) you'd have to essentially write the game over for it to have any hope of being balanced. ST bugs should outnumber the marines and have very forgiving respawn mechanics because they're either going to die in droves or not be even remotely lore-compliant. The way the game is set up now is specifically set up for xenomorphs, which are supposed to be big terrifying monsters. This also plays into the problem with zombies where it's fun for the people who get to shoot them, much less fun to be the ones who keep getting gunned down. Think Left 4 Dead PvP: they didn't make the zombie players normal zombies because that would suck a bag of dicks, even if you had unlimited lives.

If we did do ST bugs, it'd have to be a situation like a forlorn-hope defense where the marines have a time period to build up a FOB and then have to hold out for a set time period to get evac, with bugs being spawned in frequent waves and trying to overwhelm the defenses before the timer ends. Both flavored like the film (we don't talk about the other ones) and inherently set up to avoid the four hour match problem. Limiting marine supply and removing the need for "xenos" to carefully shepherd their lives makes the FOB play a lot less slow and static as people playing the bugs can just slam into the cades and do as much damage as possible, since they'll be back pretty quick, whereas marines can't just spam CAS and OBs for half an hour interspersed with firing off twenty tons of ammo.

3. I'd be interested in seeing a 40K rework with IG and tyranids, but that's not remotely likely both because of the work involved and because GW would C&D everyone involved before it even reached a playable state.

Basically, I'm down for events, but not events that ask benomains to be target practice. I'd rather they be something radically different from the norm, stuff like Hive vs. Hive, Human vs. Human, &c., not just "Hey, do you like playing xeno? How would you like playing something that's kinda xeno but not really and probably not very well balanced yet?" Doubly so because marine balance and meta is tuned around xeno balance and meta so closely, and as was said upthread I suspect any attempt at an alternate antagonist faction would either get pasted or be really overpowered in an attempt to avoid said pasting.
    Last edited by Flying Dice; 05-13-2020 at 05:43 AM.