User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 3. Racism in CM. Should it be allowed?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rule 3. Racism in CM. Should it be allowed?

This is a thread to continue a discussion that was brought up in a recent staff report. Should rule 3 be revised? I want to take a more in depth look at it and find out the communities thoughts on the subject.

Rule 3. Don�t be a dick - Harassment, racism, bigotry, homophobia, exploiting bugs, cheating, hacking, and just plain being an asshole. Giving out plot spoilers to any media with malicious intent is not allowed, but the general discussion of plot that contains spoilers about media released 1 year ago or longer is fine.

As written it allows for no leeway in any direction. However for as long as I have been a staff member it has always been acceptable to allow for minor IC racism. And it has been enforced by staff as such. The definition of minor being subject to the interpretation of the mod team on at the time.

This has been a topic of a lot of debate amongst the staff team.
    Some of the questions that were brought up have included whether it should be changed to make it more lenient. To coincide with the way staff actually follows the rule.
    Whether it should be harsher. Racism of any kind should not be tolerated and staff should begin following the rule as written with strict punishments awarded to those who break it.
    If allowing IC racism at all actually adds anything to the server at all.

I ask that when you keep this discussion "High School Friendly." Racism is often a heated topic. Do not argue against the individual, but rather, their argument. Keep the thread on topic. It will be monitored. If you are not adding to the discussion and keeping it on topic, your comment will likely be removed. If you make a comment that is out of line, you can have made the best point in the world, but it will still be removed. No shitposting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Allow less 'Racial Caricatures', especially outlandish ones.

2. Make Racism/Sexism/whatever against marine law and briggable.

My only ideas about it right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidofmk771 View Post
    1. Allow less 'Racial Caricatures', especially outlandish ones.

2. Make Racism/Sexism/whatever against marine law and briggable.

My only ideas about it right now.
    Absolutely agree with this man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always been, at least to me, that IC racism was always okay from a rule standpoint. If the person being targeted is bothered by it and ahelps, then I'm technically obligated to tell the offending party to stop or tone it down. OOC/LOOC racism, or racism in IC that is very clearly not IC, on the other hand, has never been okay, and carry fairly hefty consequences. I don't think personally that the current staff policy needs to change.

Donor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make it an IC issue via Marine Law, keep a section in the rules about being overly racist though as we shouldn't be advocating for those kinds of people to hop on and insult our sensitive pixel men, as divided as you guys are in opinions you can usually tell when someone's going out of their way to ruin someones round.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd keep it how it always was, that IC racism was left okay. if 9 out of the 10 are laughing but one isn't. Just tell the other 9 to cool it off. I never thought it got bad because we as mods have actually been pretty okay at calling it out. But this is the internet and a video game. I honestly don't care if someone wants to roast me for being a nazi or a jew or a terrorist or something. They can come meet me in extendeds op without RANK. I promise you it will be a ass kicking of the century.

But if I HAVE to compromise this is as far as I would go.

Less OOC Punishment for it and more IC Punishment should be the path I want this to take.

Because if someone says Nigger in OOC its a ban, but if someone says it IC. They should obviously expect an ass kicking and spend 30 minutes in medbay hell or getting the next 30 minutes getting the shit kicked out of them in their brig cell by the other inmates.
    Last edited by Bancrose; 01-11-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make it IC punishable as of right now. The only thing that can be punished IC is only if its disrespecting a superior. You can genuinely tell when a player wakes up and goes around being a dick for no reason calling someone "NIGGER,FAGGOT" with no actual incentive so its not that hard to differentiate the two as a staff member.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main thing I see complained about isn't use of slurs, it's the exaggerated stereotype characters that tend to set that sort of chain off to the point that people get upset.

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the way it was written I would say it only applies to OOC, however IC and OOC can blur lines at sometimes. This makes me feel that our best policy on the matter would be to only respond to said IC comments when aHelped. If a player is having issue with racist comments directed at him IC we should be fully in our right to ask the other player to stop it.

I don't think there is a better way to handle this than our current as needed system. Our current method of handling it still allows people to RP it if they're both ok with it, and protects those who are not. The only gray area is when a non involved person ahelps it, and that leaves it up to the discretion of the moderator.

Overall I don't think there is a better way for us to handle this. Zero tolerance would make decision making easier, but isn't really in the spirit of the game.
    Clancy Long
    Ethan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. On the the stereotyping of characters:

No, we have many players who follow the rules and play the game who do this myself included. We have characters play as Japanese, Spanish, Black, French, English, Russian, etc...

As long as these language quirks aren�t over the top, it shouldn�t be an issue. Why would you want to kill someone�s roleplaying on what is intended to be a roleplay server

2. Add a stipulation to the rule out lining what IC minor racism is so us as mods know what to enforce and what not to enforce. I am not offended if a Black character wants to RP if he�s from the hood and says �what�s up my nigga.� I am not offended if someone plays a Jewish character and says OY VEY or speaks Yiddish insults. As long as someone does not do stupid shit like log on and say �I HATE RACE X� or does LRP stuff like making swastikas with objects or writing hate speed akin to LRP/WGE
    Last edited by ThesoldierLLJK; 01-12-2019 at 06:18 AM.