User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 3. Racism in CM. Should it be allowed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
    I would like to propose something in addition, after thinking about the core of the issue I had with my player report.

1. I don't think staff should be allowed to play characters who might cause rules issues. I don't think it's appropriate that a moderator, someone who is responsible for interpreting and enforcing the rules, should also be causing problems that may require other staff to moderate. If I ahelp something and say "I think this is too far" and another staff member tells me "Well that's a moderator playing that character" I am immediately going to think "So nothing will be done about this, why even bother?" A moderator should not be playing a character in such a way that it gets ahelped.

2. Staff shouldn't be allowed to use slurs, IC or OOC, even in jest. There's nothing that really makes me feel less confident in someone's ability to be objective when they're already tossing around words like faggot because they can, even if it's entirely a joke. I'm supposed to think moderators are fair and impartial and in a place to make good judgment, but then 'lol dis nigga' scroll past and I know my issues are going to get tossed aside. Even if they never do it in an "official" capacity, that moderator tag is next to everything they say or do.
    Christ. Are you actually asking for people to play how YOU personally want them to play with no regards as to what they actually think or want to do?

I glanced over your posts and administratively it's next to impossible to get what you're after and any attempt at it would lead to a lot of people being banned because of the subjectivity of it not to mention the constant encroaching of the PC brigade's childish mindset. There are already channels in place for reports on staff and members and they have been used in the past and will be used in the future. If anything I'd advise you to make your own server because based on the attitude I'm looking at, you're the sort of person who will only play and be happy with a game once it's players are following your personal rules.
    Last edited by Mann handle; 01-12-2019 at 04:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't really care about IC racism, because it is after all IC and in most cases it doesn't go too far. However, on the topic of race steryotype characters, I'm not really a big fan of it. Not because of racism, but because it's such a cheap way of getting your character to stand out in the crowd.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a slippery slope. The "racism" on this server isn't even a big deal and do you really want to give the mod team more of a burden and police language?

Sounds like a logistical nightmare to me. I don't want PC soyboys being attracted to the mod position because they can live out their SJ fantasy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bancrose View Post
    I'd keep it how it always was, that IC racism was left okay. if 9 out of the 10 are laughing but one isn't. Just tell the other 9 to cool it off. I never thought it got bad because we as mods have actually been pretty okay at calling it out. But this is the internet and a video game. I honestly don't care if someone wants to roast me for being a nazi or a jew or a terrorist or something. They can come meet me in extendeds op without RANK. I promise you it will be a ass kicking of the century.

But if I HAVE to compromise this is as far as I would go.

Less OOC Punishment for it and more IC Punishment should be the path I want this to take.

Because if someone says Nigger in OOC its a ban, but if someone says it IC. They should obviously expect an ass kicking and spend 30 minutes in medbay hell or getting the next 30 minutes getting the shit kicked out of them in their brig cell by the other inmates.
    this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's IC issue. You cannot force people to stop being a racist, especially most in Europe. Just saying. As long that he/she is following the rules.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see an issue with minor IC racism. If you have an issue with something going on to your character you can always ahelp or say in LOOC that you're uncomfortable with how a situation is undergoing. I think it adds some nice tension between consenting characters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann handle View Post
    If you are getting ass blasted by words on the internet then generally you need to turn off your computer and reevaluate your life. Not only do you see D-chat not care for this shit they don't continue it when they die, they'd rather salt over a shit medic or cheer on an MP getting fragged by some naked marine. The times you see this are people role playing a character, being extremely consistent I might add, or you see it used in blatant jest which can be seen from space and an autistic person could work out with ease.

The current rules are good, in fact they serve the purpose required. The only thing the administration needs to do is to think about a procedure that encompasses a hands off approach and enforce it with consistency. As some have remarked, they've been warned for saying nigger once IC while others have more flexibility. The perfect system is only that has an almost complete hands off approach that gives freedom to people to RP as they like so long as it's not some text speak nonsense or lore breaking blah blah blah. In short, thick skins, stop being offended by text on a screen in a video game.

For my stance on this I'd say leave the rule as is and leave marine law as is. You roleplay as grown marines and if you can't take a dig or banter directed your way, you wont last long. By the time the speech is an issue the charge for disorderly conduct already covers this as it turns into a fist fight. Heck if you really want to get on the nerves of people and get all bent out of shape, don't be surprised when people leave you in situations you may need help in. That's life and as much of a PC snowflake you are, others around you are not and detest your attitude. God knows that if the rules were changed to reflect one report which I would sum up as "OY VEY!" the report, what would people's natural reaction be when some characters have to be toned down or knocked off the roster? Simple, people will double down and laugh at you, I would and I play some straight laced marine with a slight streak of saying shit to offend someone after they shot me in the back or ordered me to die. Heck if the rules surrounding this went closer to free speech or more relaxed anyway, I'd be extremely happy.

I'll speak from experience as a server admin in another game for around 7~ years (I think). We were a euro based server that valued the 1st, in fact we had the complete freedom of speech so long as it did not effect game play (Ie. TK's, grief, RDM, glitching etc.) We had rules and that was what you followed, if you broke them you went down the path laid out. We were ultra lax with speech and while someone would be ass blasted, it was generally laughed at and they'd leave the server to play another one. I can only count the amount of people related to that on one hand and the server had people from the US / Canada all the way to Thailand play due to how lax we were and how people didn't give a fuck as to what you said. The game has to be played and so long as the game's rules are followed who gave a shit and that was the mentality shared by everyone who were regulars. If things became extremely heated in mics we'd personally mute them all and give them a quick word saying that due to the argument taking over the game's voice communication, saying to simmer down and take it to text chat or private. Sole reason was that others couldn't talk over the argument to play the game. The only rule around speech we had was that it needed to be English in voice chat. The amount of problems this caused? next to none. People argued and shit talked but due to that people didn't take it out on shooting each other in the back and if anything, made a community.

God forbid there being a council for speech rules and long ass debates over what is or is not acceptable in the grand scheme of things. The consequences of limiting shit further is that you will get more copy paste characters, a community that has to tread on egg shells, further encroachment because if you give a PC snowflake an inch they will take an astronomical unit if they get their way once, more reports because the previous point means that encroachment will come from reports. I could go on about this but my general stance has always been that the closer to free speech one attains the better it actually becomes in general. I've seen servers and communities go down this path and most of them now are either dead or extremely shit with no content worth looking at.
    Exactly what I wanted to say. Nothing much more to say about this.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn to disconnect IC from OOC. While you might wish you were your in game character, in no way shape or form should you be taking IC offense into the next, OOC level.

Racism, as long as it isn't LRP or OOC, does not detract from the roleplay experience.

The inherent limitation on things that would be expected of a marine corps, does detract from the roleplay experience. If we've worked with this for almost four years now, I'm sure it won't be an issue, unless we fabricate, overblow it, and make asses out of ourselves yelling about a non issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone calls you a nigger/kike/gook/faggot/cocksucker whatever, punch them in the thriat. Theb get your boys ti punch him in the throat. Then tie him up and buckle him to a bed without a headset. Or talk to your swuad leader and get your friend sentry duty alone in the dark corner of the nexus. Whatever.

Resolve it IC
    Last edited by Nimiety; 01-12-2019 at 04:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It's the internet just toughen up lolol" is such low hanging fruit from autistic little shits, and having that argument spill out of the mouth of someone moderating the server says a lot. You want to be a racist piece of shit hey you own that buddy, it's insert year you do you I don't really give a shit, but don't act like you're doing me a fucking favour by subjecting me to your bullshit. You aren't scaring the straights with your too cool for school, woke bullshit, you're just being annoying.

The roleplay bar has hit rock bottom on this server since the changing of the guard so trying to obscure this behind some kind of thinly veiled excuse of hurting the sanctity of our role playing community is laughable. I don't give a shit what your furry persona is I'm just here to unga dunga, and what gets in the way of that is some fat 12 year old from Nantucket pretending he's a samurai space marine screaming over the radio to do bayonet charges for great honouru or face brig time otherwise. Keep the obnoxious bullshit to a minimum, and that includes forcing clown-like caricatures from ruining everyone else's good time.