Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring back combat carriers.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring back combat carriers.

As title says, before this whole update fiasco and complete changes, let's say 2016, carriers were quite literally a fearsome force. They were able to instantly snap huggers into your face by simply throwing them directly at your sprite, how was this avoidable you ask? You press the throw button and pray you catch the hugger, from which then you were able to drop it and end its life. I've done this a lot of times back then and it was super satisfying knowing you just caught a game ender. You were also able to take huggers off other marines and after several hugger removals, if the carrier caught them again, it would fracture their skull by repeated melting/aciding to the face, there was the waiting game, did you get impregnated or did you not by watching the symptoms. I really want some of these mechanics back and I believe devouring should be eradicated completely as a way to balance this out.

This new permanent nesting update brought down carriers to a mere sack of shit, all they're able to do is lay traps and wait around until some warrior brings a captured to him so he can take time planting the hugger, they can't even use the eggsack properly anymore without queen being in ovi and within fifteen tile radius. Carriers are no longer feared, they're absolute garbage, please make them not garbage, thanks.

Also, this update made ungas even more aggressive with their pushes, knowing they can't get caught by a hugger that easily anymore, capture rates dropped by a lot.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you could play a uno reverse card and yeet the facehugger back at the carrier to ko it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no thanks

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    I wish you could play a uno reverse card and yeet the facehugger back at the carrier to ko it
    Marines were able to do it before until a developer made one tile throw range.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    old good new bad

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but add ol'good glue grenades. Like during WWII, you throw it at the tank and it stick to it. Now you can throw shit at benos that stick to them and cripples them no matter what. Sounds fair? I wonder.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    Hard same.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok ok i'm gonna say it......... xenos mad x24
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Whitelisted Captain/Retired WL Maintainer Snooper44's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about add back combat carriers but instead helmets give a one insta block to all hugging attempts by carriers. So it isn't an instant yeet.

Commodore Greg Lauffer

Whitelist Maintainer

January 1st 2021 - June 28th 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeknoKot View Post
    As title says, before this whole update fiasco and complete changes, let's say 2016, carriers were quite literally a fearsome force. They were able to instantly snap huggers into your face by simply throwing them directly at your sprite, how was this avoidable you ask? You press the throw button and pray you catch the hugger, from which then you were able to drop it and end its life. I've done this a lot of times back then and it was super satisfying knowing you just caught a game ender.
    Personally, I always found this mechanic to be bad and it wasn't really that satisfying to dodge or catch a hugger and bash it with your gun. The risk/reward is not nearly equal for the carrier to the marine. If the carrier managed to land the shot, you're dead or captured. You could catch a hugger three times in a row but it wouldn't really matter because the only thing the carrier suffers is losing 3 of its 10 huggers.

You were also able to take huggers off other marines and after several hugger removals, if the carrier caught them again, it would fracture their skull by repeated melting/aciding to the face, there was the waiting game, did you get impregnated or did you not by watching the symptoms.
    I feel like this is kind of counter intuitive to the direction the devs are trying to take captures. Getting hugged should not be cheap, but it should also be impactful. That is to say, getting a capture should be hard and only occur in a specific circumstance, but it should also virtually guarantee a burst. I feel like in an ideal situation, if you get hugged, you're almost guaranteed to die bursting. Also equally ideally, you shouldn't be able to be in a situation where you get hugged but you've still got several allies who can not only remove the hugger, but also provide cover. So IMO, I'm sort of on the fence about this particular feature. I'd say yes if combat hugging were more prominent, but I don't want combat hugging to be prominent.

I believe devouring should be eradicated completely as a way to balance this out.
    I wouldn't mind devouring being cut if host transportation were relegated to maybe a specific caste or type of caste (IE, drone, hivelord, burrower).

This new permanent nesting update brought down carriers to a mere sack of shit, all they're able to do is lay traps and wait around until some warrior brings a captured to him so he can take time planting the hugger, they can't even use the eggsack properly anymore without queen being in ovi and within fifteen tile radius. Carriers are no longer feared, they're absolute garbage, please make them not garbage, thanks.
    Devs have been and currently are reworking carrier to be more viable. In fact, the egg sac strain is already getting removed and replaced with the new Shaman strain Soon(TM). From what I've seen of the Shaman, it'll probably end up being a powerful strain and really make carriers a new kind of threat.

Also, this update made ungas even more aggressive with their pushes, knowing they can't get caught by a hugger that easily anymore, capture rates dropped by a lot.
    I don't necessarily have the stats to invalidate that claim, but I do believe that these changes to carrier would not be the right answer to stopping marines from charging xenos.

tl;dr Give the devs time to release Shaman and subsequently tweak the Carrier before we start criticizing where Carrier is right now with the recent egg/nest changes, because the devs already know it's an issue.