User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Comprehensive List of Viable Marine Weapons (2020 Jan)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Are xenos afraid of welder fuel flames?
    Yes.

Everything I suggest is tested by myself first.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulse rifle is good.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    flame is unironically one of the strongest tools against xenos, it fucks up almost all of their buildings, everything short of a rav or queen is vulnerable to it, unless you have a prae/boiler/vomitor with enough health to stand perfectly still in the open for a few seconds to extinguish, the xeno has to fall back to a safe distance to resist/get patted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look you are all forgetting the M39 IS good. At killing your team mates. All joking aside I strangely have more kills with it than any other weapon. I haven't been playing long but hey it's not worthless at least.
    Hi I like crayons.
    My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swumprat View Post
    Look you are all forgetting the M39 IS good. At killing your team mates. All joking aside I strangely have more kills with it than any other weapon. I haven't been playing long but hey it's not worthless at least.
    "Kills" are given to the last player who did damage. So some guy could PB that beno twice and you could just shoot it when in crit and you get the kill. M39 against anything that has armor is trash and against anything that has HP pool higher than runner it is garbage.

Whole point of M39 is to try to dual-wield it without decreasing burst and without near 0 accuracy, or screen shake that will lead you to clicking where you really didn't wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Kills" are given to the last player who did damage. So some guy could PB that beno twice and you could just shoot it when in crit and you get the kill. M39 against anything that has armor is trash and against anything that has HP pool higher than runner it is garbage.
    Yeah I know. I didn't earn those kills cause I don't even remember getting them. If I went off kills I was sure were mine I'd have a few LTB kills and TOW kills and little else.

Whole point of M39 is to try to dual-wield it without decreasing burst and without near 0 accuracy, or screen shake that will lead you to clicking where you really didn't wanted.
    You know I'd been planning to experiment with that. Just wasn't sure how I wanted to carry the ammo and found duel PB shotties to be fun but pretty much a death sentence for me. Maybe next time a pair of arm brace SMG's will be used.
    Hi I like crayons.
    My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One M39 bullet does about 0.62 of M41 damage. 8 M39 bullets = 4.96 M41 bullets, about the same as BFA M41, only with it you get accuracy way higher than 0.

M39 BC BFA is kinda viable due to faster ROF than M41.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg2002 View Post
    One M39 bullet does about 0.62 of M41 damage. 8 M39 bullets = 4.96 M41 bullets, about the same as BFA M41, only with it you get accuracy way higher than 0.

M39 BC BFA is kinda viable due to faster ROF than M41.
    Imagine having your numbers all fucked up
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm just a mere mortal. Ok, the more correct number is 0.631313131313, but whatever. Those are the only numbers that were given, at least semi-officially. I still can't believe that HPR does the same damage as M41, for example.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My $0.02

Great weapons
    Buck M37 - 1-2 taps will drop almost anything non-t3. The only "reliable" xenos killer, if you are robust enough to land those sick PBs.
    Spec RPG - Thanos snap lower castes, stun higher castes and set up kills...when a retarded unga doesn't walk into your line of fire.
    Spec GL - Less good at deleting individual xenos and probably has a lower "maximum" potential without chem nade/M15/M12 cheese, but it's ability to shoot past all mobs, easier controlability and lower FF lethality when using HEDPs means that it will usually outperform the RPG in the majority of circumstances, albeit without the ridiculous clutch shots that an RPG can get when the stars align (unless you have a researcher feeding you chem nades).
    Other shotguns - The M37 is the worst shotgun in the game, so replace it with a planetside weapon if you can. HG and Tac shotty are straight upgrades (attachment unfriendliness aside) and viable with either buck or slugs, Sawnoff and DB are extreme damage PB tools, Custom is almost a straight upgrade aside from the lower capacity (but it can burstfire), so probably use it with buck.
    Mortar - Requires a solid spotter or the mortar to be placed near the frontline and lazing it's own coords, but a good mortar can singlehandedly win the game for marines. A bad one can cause a planetside wipe with a single shot.
    CAS - Similar to the mortar, but the CAS operator can at least see where they are firing before they pull the trigger.

Good weapons
    QFA M41A - Good at getting xenos to fuck off pronto, and if you chase then you can get kills with it. Far and away the best easily acquirable general purpose weapon in the marine arsenal, and the meta weapon to have in your back slot along with a buckshot shotgun in your suit slot
    Slug M37 - Not quite the xenos slayer that an M37 loaded with buck is, but it is very good at setting up kills and is probably the strongest chase weapon in the marine side's arsenal against targets that aren't already up close enough for buck to be used. It also locks xenos out of abilities temporarily, which means that it can fight the likes of lurkers and warriors when a buck shotgun would probably just lose to their 1 click wins.
    UBGL with HEDP - The only semi-reliable way for lone PFCs to use stuns to set up kills outside of dual shotty or heavy revolver shenanigans. Fiddly to employ, but very powerful when used correctly.
    HPR - A QFA M41A with worse wield slowdown, a much greater ammunition capacity and a far better inventory profile. Ironically a more fitting secondary for engineers/medics than actual secondaries, but it's rarity means it is usually going to be used by SLs, Specs and PFCs as an easily carried general fighting weapon along with a secondary/spec weapon.
    Smartgun - More of a support/suppression weapon than a kill generator, it can still provide weight of fire during a push without taking up space on the firing line.
    Spec Sniper - very good at harrassing boilers or securing kills on unexpecting xenos skirmishers. Flak is preferred against targets that aren't near marines, but Incendiary also has it's perks.

Okay weapons
    MOU with flechettes or 1 slug + 2 flechettes - The only viable use for flechettes. Used as a secondary weapon to delete lower tier xenos or put the hurt on higher tier xenos.
    Orbital Bombardment - the amount of telegraphing it gives makes it very difficult to land kills with, but it is still on demand coord based fire support that will make xenos back off if nothing else. The trick to getting kills with it is to either land it where xenos don't expect it or fire it when xenos are preoccupied and liable to not notice it - random spots way in the back that xenos will retreat to or on the edge of the frontline are your two best bets. Or you could just hope that the hive can't rub 2 braincells together and move away from the building they just took...which works far more often than it by all rights should. Alternatively, use it for clearing terrain - it is legitimately amazing at just making buildings disappear.
    Flamer - The flamer isn't really a weapon, so much as it is an area denial and chase tool. There are 3 major ways you can use it. The first is to fire it in areas you don't want anybody going into, like in the flanks of a push or in front of an FOB cadeline. The second is to tag xenos with it and then chase them - they have to resist somewhere or they will die, so if you catch a xenos alight in the flanks/rearlines and hurt it enough before it retreats then it will often have to resist somewhere really stupid - enjoy the free kill. The third is to use it offensively to push xenos back during advances, but this requires the sort of galaxy brain flamer marine that creeps along extinguishing their own flames as they slowly push through a contested choke. I put it as an Okay weapon because actually employing it without sabotaging your own team requires an amount of intelligence depressingly above the player average, which means that in practice marines would be better off if the CO BE'd everyone wearing a flamer backpack on the dropship.
    Spec Flamer - See above.
    Heavy Ammo M44 - actual damage is garbage, but it can chain stun xenos. Basically a pocket tac shotty loaded with slugs, and those are quite good. If the ammo wasn't such a bitch to get this would be rated higher, but as is you have to be very conservative with ammo. You can in theory use a smartscope on this and shoot xenos attackers through other marines, but the stuns only work from a few tiles away and your rate of fire gets crippled to the point that you can't chain stun, so this is a bit of a trap in practice.
    Smartscope L42 - Not so much "Okay" as "Exceedingly and Consistently Mediocre". This is straight up not a good weapon, but, well, there is a reason why marine win rates skyrocketed when this was available in the PFC sniper kit. You aren't contributing a lot when you run this gun, but you are contributing come hell, high water, or masses of ungas between you and the xenos hoards. Just don't think it is a real general fighting weapon, rather than a utility weapon which makes the 15% HP difference between a xenos narrowly escaping and a xenos lying crit on the frontlines.
    Scout Rifle - With the right ammo, it is basically a tac shotty that requires req to order more ammunition for. It isn't horrendous, but something that is roughly on par with a HG and takes special ammo isn't really competitive with the likes of the sniper rifle, grenade launcher and RPG. Oh, and it doesn't really synergize with the scout cloak.
    M46C - Arguably worse than a normal M41A Mk2, but it can take a smartscope. The CO is still probably better off handing it to a trusted Unga and stripping the corpse of a smartgunner, but it is still worth something.
    Mateba - Pocket Tac Shotty with more FF potential than the Heavy Ammo Revolver. Oh, and the ammo is even rarer.
    M4A3 - Notable for having QFA Mk2 level damage output while running one handed...until the magazine runs out. This is a niche finishing and chase weapon, but it is very solid in it's niche. Custom M4A3s supposedly have 12.5% more damage, which makes them even better if you can get one off an SO, TC or pilot...or loot it from disposals. Also notable for being one of the few weapons that isn't terrible when dual wielded.
    VP78 - Don't think of it as a pistol. Think of it as a QFAless M41A that can fit in a pistol holster. It isn't good, but it is an OK general weapon in a pinch if you can't fit a real primary so long as you set it on burst and pile on attachies.
    [U]Non-GL launched grenades other than HEFA or HIDP[/I] - HEDP is nice for the stuns if you can somehow land it, and deals milder FF damage than a revolver shot. M15s will fuck up everything near them but are trickier to employ due to having a HEFA like effect on top of their blast. M12s are a pocket OB, and chem nades are a crap shoot depending on the robustness of the person making them. To really get the best out of grenades you need to cook them, and this comes with all the inherent risks involved with timed explosives in a laggy and stun filled environment.

Garbage Weapons
    HEFA - Do you like throwing enormous amounts of shrapnel around which does almost nothing to xenos but fucking obliterates marines? If so, please go take this box of HEFA and jump down the ASRS shaft, you absolute bastard.
    HIDP - Think of it as a single use pocket flamer...yeah, that sounds about as weak as it is. Not actively detrimental to your team, but you aren't actually accomplishing much.
    Non-QFA M41A - You can try to stick whatever set of attachments on it that you want, but at the end of the day you still have a weapon that is atrocious on single fire, and struggles to hit anything on burst. It sort of has some use as a point blank burst fire weapon if you slather it in attachments, but if you want that sort of thing just use a shotgun you dweeb.
    SMG - Yep, still garbage. It's temporary resurgence died a while ago and it is back to being dramatically worse than an M4A3 in every way except ammunition capacity. Oh, and you don't have to be as worried about FF, because it is virtually incapable of killing anything in less than several bursts.
    Non-Smartscope L42 - Aside from some memery involving flaming brainlet xenos and x4 scope sniping them when they resist in the open, this gun doesn't really have anything going for it other than the ability to take a smartscope. Maybe stick an S8 scope in your pocket to swap with your smartscope during FOB sieges, but for Christ's sake do not think this is a viable weapon in it's own right without a smartscope.
    Flechette M37 - Poor range, horrendous FF potential and lacking sustained DPS. The only plus side to this weapon is that it will marginally outperform a buck shotgun against armored tier 3 xenos or the queen. But that isn't enough of a reason to run it. Just don't.
    Mod 88 - Terrible burst DPS, poor sustained DPS, AP rounds make it more lethal to marines than xenos.
    Normal/Marksman Ammo Revolver - Inaccurate, low DPS, low capacity, damage per shot is high enough to seriously risk causing organ damage on every FF incident, generally garbage. Either get heavy ammo for it, or use something else.
    M41A Mk1 - Gets a better magazine size in exchange for resupply issues, but it can't run QFA so it sucks. Sorry.
    Anything with a Barrel Charger except maybe an M4A3 - Sorry, Barrel Charger is garbage now. Welcome to a brave new world, Boomer.
    Flamer/Spec Flamer in the hands of a baldie - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA STOP FLAMING PUSHES AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA QUEEN AND RAVAGER ARE FIREPROOF STHAP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YOU SET ME ON FIRE WHYYYYY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA