Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Important Engine/Reactor Post

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    Atmos was removed due to the sheer amount of lag it caused. I don't think anyone on the team wanted to remove it, but it was that or we wouldn't be able to play above 120 pop.
    I agree with that, but is there a reason why radiation was removed? I bet it didn't caused much lag since basically nothing short of Uranium Walls in Big Red emitted radiation and it had potential during HvH rounds, hell, even as a mean to stop metarushes. Everything better than sudden frontline narcolepsy.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    I agree with that, but is there a reason why radiation was removed? I bet it didn't caused much lag since basically nothing short of Uranium Walls in Big Red emitted radiation and it had potential during HvH rounds, hell, even as a mean to stop metarushes. Everything better than sudden frontline narcolepsy.
    Devsa have stripped a lot of things, unfortunately, to make the game more stable and less laggy. Radiation, infections, even super small things like forensics. This is all stuff that I disagree with, but I can see why they're doing it. My only hope is that SS14, or unity station, is developed sometime in the near future and we jump off this nightmarish carnival ride that is Byond and make our way there as fast as possible.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    Devsa have stripped a lot of things, unfortunately, to make the game more stable and less laggy. Radiation, infections, even super small things like forensics. This is all stuff that I disagree with, but I can see why they're doing it. My only hope is that SS14, or unity station, is developed sometime in the near future and we jump off this nightmarish carnival ride that is Byond and make our way there as fast as possible.
    I hope so too, friend. BTW, diseases are still in game.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do we even have the current engine? is it "fun" for anyone? does it spark engaging gameplay at all? can you do literally anything creative with it? if no to all three, just fucking remove it for fucks sakes

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    I hope so too, friend. BTW, diseases are still in game.
    Sorta....

I think diseases work as some frankenstein like hybrid now. I don't think they act like vanilla SS13 viruses or diseases though, if that's what you were implying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest the reactors/engine for the Almayer mostly serve as an event trigger for staff to blow up and send all the marines down with all the gear on their backs only.

It's still funny when CIC loses power because no one is playing CE and the new MT sets the SMES up wrong though.

Essentially the same with diseases, they almost never bother anyone in a normal round anymore. Only unless staff spawn some in as an event are they ever concerned about.

But even the smallest of things are being cut from the script to save lag so I really don't expect engineering to ever get any updates regarding engine power or atmospherics for at least a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remove defcon to reduce lag thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of reasons that warranted reactors being dumbed down, but we all know they're not fun. Personally, I've been wanting better reactors for a long time, longer than the time I've spent as a dev, and I'm sure many other devs share a similar opinion. One day, if someone decides they have time in their hands to deal with this relatively minor issue (though still a stone in everyone's shoes) and a really good idea, the reactor might be fixed, and the same is valid for many stale mechanics.

TL;DR : Soon™

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of miss when some newbie would fuck up the supermatter and explode the entire end of the ship. Or when the newbie RO ordered a new crystal because he didn't know what it was, then comically touched it.