User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Supplementary guide to Intelligence Officer (In-Depth)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Supplementary guide to Intelligence Officer (In-Depth)

Updated 6/10/2020 - Another New Intel Update! Intel computer time. Check it out! (Chapter 6)

Acknowledgements

This guide is inspired by a previously made and similar guide by the author Soapbar, titled - "How To: Intelligence Officer". I was very inspired by his guide to becoming an intelligence officer, and after playing many rounds as one, I find it quite enjoyable. Thus, I'd like to enhance and/or update Soapbars guide with my own. I highly suggest you read his guide before mine, as some of his points will be repeated or even omitted in this guide. Again, thank you to Soapbar for your excellent guide, but it is time to teach some old dogs new tricks.

Link to Soapbars Guide

About the Author

Hello! My name is Seabass390. I am known as Landon "Seabass" Hughes in-game. I found out about SS13 from SsethTzeentach, but I was more interested in the game rather than being a griefer. I specifically learned about CM-SS13 from MandaloreGaming on his SS13 review video. I wanted to try out CM-SS13 because I got into a gunfight in normal SS13 and horribly failed. Both sides were shooting and I was scrambling to figure out how to reload my damn gun. It was extremely frustrating, so I took it upon myself to learn, but I couldn't unlock a gun crate at req so I did the next best thing and went to a server that practically gave you a gun. Standing at the firing range, I was struggling to understand the gun mechanics. When suddenly, my squad leader walked in, barked orders at me, and the next thing I know, I'm dropping from the Almayer onboard the Alamo onto LV-624. The rest is history in the making.

I currently have 150+ rounds played as an Intelligence Officer totaling 200+ hours (In actuality, this is higher but statistics is broken) and have numerous medals as an IO... in fact only as an IO... no, I don't think I have a problem... In any case, hopefully, that convinces someone that I have a good resume to talk about this subject.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Preface

This guide aims to help established (I.E - Journeyman, Associate, Advanced, Practitioner) players become a better Intelligence Officer (IO). I highly suggest that you do not become an IO when you are new to the game.

With the new addition of the PVT rank, I recommend that PVT's become PFC's first. Afterward, you can move onto different classes such as a medic or engineer to expand your scope of knowledge. Please, any new players who are not confident of your skill - establish yourselves a bit more, then come back. This guide will be here waiting for you.

This guide will attempt to be as in-depth as possible (so sometimes I will talk as if you were a beginner player - for depths sake), while also being straight to the point so you won't end up like a fool and instead be a master. Thank you for reading thus far. Let us begin.

Introduction

"I have not yet learned to keep still" - Apollonius of Tyana

Welcome Soldier. You've considered becoming an IO. This gives you an established reputation, both negative and positive. You can either make or break the outcome of the game, depending on how you do. You have a reputation for being found dead and useless, but you also have a reputation for getting shit done and being loved by Command, researchers, and especially the tank crew (TC). It is your job to turn around a crisis.

Before you proceed, you must study. An IO entails many responsibilities. As there is only a maximum of three IO's per round with no respawns, you must be the best of the best to become a great IO, this is our pride. An IO is the embodiment of skill. One must understand essential skills such as: Engineering, Medicine, and Leadership.

I highly recommend playing first as a squad medic and some sort of engineering class, whether that be a squad engineer or a maintenance technician (MT). These will give you intermediate/advanced skills such as: identifying your own (and others) injuries without a medhud, how to patch yourself up with the minimal amount of supplies, how to scavenge for supplies in the field, hacking doors and vendors, and how to fix generators and APCs, ETC.

Leadership comes naturally to some and hard for others. I personally have not been a Squad Officer (SO), but I do think it will help in gaining the experience necessary to become an excellent leader. This isn't necessary if you insist on being a lone wolf, but eventually, you will find it beneficial to run IO duties with another person.

If you think this is all overkill, it by far is not. You will be out in the field, away from any allies with the exception of your fellow officers and bodyguards. You are expected to survive and thrive in a hostile and dangerous environment with little to no backup. With enough skill and knowledge, you can survive a situation that would normally kill any other marine.

Chapter One: Inventory

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

You've spawned in. Great! Let's get started.

This is your starting area, I will talk more about information organization later, the vendors to your right should look familiar enough, so I'll leave you to it.

As an IO, breaking and entering is the name of the game. Use this knowledge when you are procuring equipment on the Almayer for the deployment ahead.

Spoiler Spoiler:

In the vendor, you have access to another set of full intelligence officer gear (uniform, armor, helmet, etc.). Leave this for now, we will come back to it later.

My updated min/max build is the following:

Immediately drop the Pistol Holster Rig, Large General Pouch, Intelligence Armor, and Webbing. We will replace these with more optimal gear.

Vend the essential set, take the Fulton, the Data Detector, and Binoculars. Leave the crowbar.

The M276 Pattern Toolbelt Rig will go into your belt slot. This allows us to have full access to the repairs (or destruction) of anything in our way.

Vend the document pouch and equip it for a total of two document pouches. This ensures maximum inventory space for intelligence.

Vend the Black or Brown webbing, further ensuring more inventory space.

Rush over to requestions. Your order is up to your personal preference. My copy-paste order is this - "Recoil compensator, RDS, Gyro, JTAC kit, and light armor please."

Find an Oxygen Deprivation Kit at lower medical. This is to extend the already large inventory space of your backpack even further.

While you are here, find a roller bed and tuck it into your webbing. Vend some gauze from the MarineMeds and stick it in your helmet to control bleeding. If you aren't using a vanity item like me, the extra helmet slot could be used for a protein bar.

I also see if any doctors are making unga juice (more on this later). I usually bring two, but one is enough. I just like being overprepared.

In the Oxygen Kit, I recommend a health analyzer, an inapprovaline autoinjector, a dexalin+ autoinjector, splints, two power control modules (PCM), and a battery cell.

PCM's and the battery are both retrieved from Engi-Vends. Asking the engineering crew is one way to achieve them. The other way involves breaking and entering.

Heavy Pulse Rifle (HPR) kits have welding goggles in them and are usually lying around untaken on the ground. Try to secure one if possible. There are also spare welding goggles at the tanker quarters.

I also recommend eating a burger or something small before deploying, extending your hunger timer even further.

The weapon choice is up to you. I recommend filling your armor slots extra magazines. Remember that intel is our duty, not fighting. Two to four reloads is enough for self-defense. I don't recommend pistols as you need to shoot your gun to break lockers, which will require multiple magazines if you use a pistol, but you do what you wish. The only thing I highly recommend bringing is a silencer so you can stay quiet for when you do break a locker.

Also, I personally tune into all channels (Command, JTAC, Alpha, ... Delta, Medical, Etc.) with the command headset regardless of the situation. Understanding the situation around you is a critical skill that needs to be practiced constantly. It is good practice to be able to determine what is happening with the squads around you. For example, Alpha squad could be wiped out at the area that you are planning to head to, and you know this since you can hear the screams of alpha saying, "Fall back!". Now you must determine if you can quickly dart in and out of that frontline for intel or if it would be better to circle around, wait for the xenos to pass, and then sneak in to grab intel. In any case, practice reading lots of text accurately and at breakneck speeds. This will help eventually, trust me.

The above loadout can be modified to your desire. It is not set in stone and is highly susceptible to many variables going wrong, such as missing gear. If you have followed the loadout, this picture should look very similar to what you currently have with the exception of your weapon and ammo preference.

Chapter One: Inventory (Cont.)

"Good manners don't cost nothing" - Lemmy

This section is an optional extension of the inventory chapter. These optional items will help your survivability or your effectiveness out in the field which is only to the benefit of yourself and your team. This excerpt from inventory is in a different section as these are unobtainable by yourself, and you must ask others for them, so keep your manners about you Ensign. These items are...

1. A Motion Detector (MD) - Usually Squad Leaders (SL) will have this in excess and will throw them out of their own prep room into the general prep room. Go and snag one of these if you can. Remember, if you cannot find any, use comms to ask squad leaders if they have a spare. If none of them do, you can also request this from req or ask a marine with spare points to vend one for you.

2. Thermite in a (spray) bottle - You will need to ask MedSci for this if you would like to bring it along. Each 60u bottle should be enough to melt one wall. To ignite this thermite, use a flame source such as a lighter or a welder. You can find lighters in any cigarette vendor. Having lots of these bottles take up a good amount of space. Optionally, if you want more thermite for less space, you can ask for it in a spray bottle, which carries 240u. It's a balancing act though. If you spray thermite too close to your person, the thermite will bounce back and cause toxin damage. On the other hand, if you stand far away and spray thermite, not all the thermite will hit the wall, causing you to spend more. What will it be? Take a bottle that takes up more space or take a spray bottle but balance between taking toxin damage or using more? You choose.

3. Unga Juice - Bring a flask to chemistry and ask them for a bottle of unga juice. This usually is a mix of bicardine, kelotane, and tramadol, but some doctors spice it up other helpful chemicals. There are many nicknames for this mix such as: BKT, Heal Mix, Heal Juice, The Juice, ETC. Not a must, but it has saved me from pain crit very often.

4. (Two) C4 explosives - Head to the req line and go to the supply ordering console. Under the weapons tab, you should find a label titled plastique explosives. Print out a form and give a good reasoning for why you need these. Keep it short though, the RO reads millions of these forms a day. Mine usually goes "IO Breach and Clear". As long as they understand an IO ordered this, they'll usually order it, given that they have enough points. This is also where you can get your attachies for your gun. Remember, a silencer is highly recommended, almost to the point of necessity. Usually my order gets denied as RO's claim that it consumes too many points. I agree with this, and instead of C4, I use welding tanks which work just as well.

You are an Ensign, but never forget that you have gotten here with the help of others. Like it or not, you will continually need the help of others for the rest of your life. There is no shame in that. Recognize that now rather than later.

Chapter Two: Partner in Crime

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light" - Helen Keller

By now it should be around 12:12ish in-game. You should have most if not all your gear right now (if you don't, you can always opt to land on the next roundabout while you take more time to gather your kit, remember that Ben Franklin quote!) and briefing usually starts around 12:20. This is your time to go out and find another marine to enslave recruit into your company.

My recommended squad to recruit from is Charlie or Delta, with a bias towards Charlie. Remember, be nice. If they don't want to, don't pull rank and command them around. Bosses tell you what to do, while leaders tell you why and how to do it. Goodwill goes a long way in this game and in real life.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Once you have recruited this marine, figure out what they need. This is usually an intelligence radio key and insulated gloves. Remember that spare set of gear you had? There were some spare gloves, give that to your guard at a minimum. The rest is not necessary, but just gear that may or may not be useful. Ensure that they have the intelligence radio key on. These spare intelligence keys can be gotten from intelligence kits from Req. You can always just tune into their squad comms if you're pressed for time and can't get them a radio key. I advise against giving people a command headset, they might not be used to reading so much text.

Now that you've outfitted your marine, congratulations! This marine is now your bodyguard. If you need to offload any spare gear to them such as the C4 or power cells, do so. If you have procured an MD by some means, do not forget to give them the MD and for them to hold it out and activated, so as they follow you, they will let you know where the enemy is coming from. There are two reasons for this. One, it's hard to grab intel when you have an MD in one hand and a data detector in the other. Two, it establishes trust and it basically makes you say, "I am relying on you to keep me safe." Sharing the burden with somebody else strengthens your bond with the other person, and it also gives them something to do instead of just aimlessly following you around.

Perfect. We're all ready. Let's board the dropship (DS) and get going.

Chapter Three: Deployment and Gathering

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

Spoiler Spoiler:

Now that you've landed and your boots have touched dirt, it's time to go off to find intelligence. This process will vary from map to map, but it usually good for you to plan routes accordingly with your intelligence team. If another officer is moving through these areas, don't follow him. Spread out to cover as much ground as possible before contact with the enemy, so you can figure out about any weak spots that you can exploit later to sneak around the enemy.

For example, a route on LV-624 would have you move through nexus, power plant, comms relay, internal affairs, and then secure storage. Remember that these are only the general/official names of the places. Some people may call the power plant as engineering, and internal affairs as corporate dome, etc. There are also places that are not listed on the map. These would be subsets of the main areas such as the male dorms and the female dorms in the Nexus.

Believe it or not, this is the easiest part of the job. Go around with your data detector and find papers, folders, discs, and other misc. intelligence. Health analyzers, autopsy scanners, and reagent scanners can be stored in your misc. first aid kit that you brought earlier to save even more space in your backpack, just don't forget to unload it!

Soon, your pockets should be full of intelligence. If you're close enough, you can just go back to the DS and empty your pouches there. Dumping directly onto the floor of the DS isn't recommended as the papers could easily get lost from marines picking them up and pocketing them, not knowing any better. It's better to find a crate of some sort and empty them in there. If you cannot find a crate but have five wood laying around, you can create a makeshift crate out of a coffin.

Should you be far away from the DS, again, find a nearby crate and empty all your intelligence inside of it. Go outside into the open with the crate and fulton it up. Unfortunately, you can't fulton a coffin, so you'll have to make some adjustments in that regard. Make sure to confirm that the Pilot Officer (PO) is flying and that he has a fulton recovery system before you launch the crate and leave. You can also use these fultons to recover Xeno and human corpses. These provide DEFCON, and if you have to choose between a Xeno or a human corpse, a Xeno corpse is more valuable by a good margin than a human one.

Chapter Four: Breaking and Entering/Technical Skills

"I am a thief of knowledge, and in a survival way, I had to solve all the problems around me" - Philippe Petit

Can't get into somewhere? Let's walk you through the process of each obstacle you will face.

APC/Generator Repair
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Airlocks/Doors

Spoiler Spoiler:

Walls/Blast Doors
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Secure Safes

Spoiler Spoiler:

Chapter Five: Combat and Communication

“He who fights and runs away May live to fight another day, but he who is battle slain Can never rise to fight again.” - Oliver Goldsmith

At this point, you should realize that you're fighting an enemy who is taller, stronger, and faster than yourself. Between you and your bodyguard, you will most likely not kill any Xenos. This is fine, as this is not your primary mission.

If you engage any enemies, you should choose to engage briefly and retreat. The motion detector that your bodyguard has will emit an audible beep which will notify you of a nearby enemy. It will also be audible by the thing that you are detecting. Sometimes this could be harmless such as a survivor or a marine dragging a dead Xeno, but you should always err on the side of caution. The Xenos are as scared of you as you are of them. Shooting in their direction should be enough of a deterrent for them to run away as they have little to no armor. Remember that 8 out of 10 times, the Xenos you counter are part of the ambush caste. Hence when they lose their element of surprise, they will run off to find easier prey.

Should you find an alien not of the ambush caste, but of a support caste, evaluate the situation to determine if it is a wise choice to chase. Remember that even though a drone, boiler, or hivelord are not dangerous initially, they could be leading you back into an ambush as they run away.

If you do find an alien of a more robust class such as a Ravager or Warrior, lay down suppressing fire as you run away, as you have little to no chance to kill them. As I said earlier, killing Xeno's is not your primary mission, intelligence is. Reporting on the last known Xeno locations over the radio is still intelligence and is vital to the war effort.

Xeno's are not dumb, they will send scouts to test out our defenses and exploit where we are weak. If you encounter one and realize that where you are is barely defended and/or leads to a potential flank, you should let command know so they can send soldiers to reinforce it (Assuming command is going to listen to you).

Also, another point to make is about traps. Wherever there are Xeno weeds, you must expect a resin hole with a hugger inside. The Carrier-type Xeno will make these resin holes in the attempt to slow down, capture, or otherwise bamboozle you. Some carriers don't know any better and just leave resin holes out in the open, but a good carrier will hide them under objects such as wooden planks or maybe even a dead marine. You must be vigilant. Slowing down to inspect all the tiles where a resin hole might be will be a victory for the carrier, but not getting face hugged is a bigger victory for you.

Chapter Six: Filing Papers

"Wherever smart people work, doors are unlocked" - Steve Wozniak

The person who takes over shipside IO duties or as I like to call them, "Dispatch", is usually the most experienced IO or one who volunteers for it. Dispatch has the honor of getting all the intel that's sent back up, organizing, reading, and filing them away. Dispatch also has the duty of directing the ground team to certain areas to gather more intel. This can be things such as, "We missed a yellow folder in Engineering labeled F758, can anybody go grab that?" or "Upload the data terminal Tau-333 at Robotics, the password is F948C30".

Like intelligence gathering, intelligence sifting is an important cog in the wheel that is DEFCON. Both gathering and sifting must be performed at the same level of skill for things to go smoothly. You could collect all the data on the map but if the sifting is slow, the aliens might have enough time to push hard and render all the effort you've put into the round useless. Same thing goes vice versa.

Below are all the items you will find during your intelligence OP.

Spoiler Spoiler:

There are two ways to sift intelligence. By chain or by category.

Sifting by chain goes paper - folder - disk. This method I highly recommend you do NOT use as it is severely outdated with the introduction of the intel computer.

The new method is to sift by category which is to read all papers, then all reports, then all folders, then all manuals. This way, we lower defcon faster rather, which believe it or not, is more important than reaching defcon one. The only con about this is the long downtime when typing all of the relevant intel into the intel computer and a huge bottleneck at the end when processing 15+ disks with only two computers.

Once you have read this intel, you MUST input all of this intel into the intel computer which will update the rest of your team with the intel you have read. IC wise I like to call it the "PDA". All this intel will be sent to your In-Character (IC) Tab under View Objective Clues. This is also where you'll find out pertinent information such as Item Retrieval, Recovered KIA Marines, and most importantly, DEFCON status and its percentage. For example, DEFCON 2: 94.0138%, means that it is currently at DEFCON 2 with 6% away from getting DEFCON 1. It is kind of wonky in that to see the DEFCON level and percentage, you'll have to extend/maximize the pop-up window. This won't apply to you if you have a short IC name, but if you have a long IC name as I do, your name will visually block the DEFCON level.

The image below is how I like to organize things.

The backroom (High-Security Storage) to the north should be reserved for all misc items and items from the discard pile. The picture below is an example.

Conclusion
    "Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" - Winston Churchill

Congratulations! You should be able to now survive a round as an IO without dying. Maybe you weren't too helpful to your team or maybe you were the best one on your team, only you can choose which path you take.

This guide hopefully enlightened you on how to become an excellent IO, but excessive studying isn't the best thing to do, trust me. Experience goes a long way in the honing of your skills. If you still feel uncomfortable, ask to tag along with a more experienced IO, hopefully, you can pick up on what he or she is doing right.

The worst thing you can do is get nested by the Xenos with a pouch full of intel. That could be potentially DEFCON lowering intel that you've denied your entire team until the end of the game, assuming the marines push that far.

Here are some words of wisdom I can give you.
    • Slow is steady, steady is fast
    • Never ever move alone. Always have a battle buddy.
    • Choose to die another day.
    • Share power and ask for assistance
    • Under-promise and Over-deliver!

Now get out there and lower DEFCON Ensign!

Epilogue
    "Not yet Snake! It's not over yet!" - Liquid Snake

Predicted Questions and Remarks

Q: Why'd you want to make this guide? There's already one!
    A: I know! But the previous guide lacked in deployment tactics and organizing tactics. I wanted to make this guide to supplement his.

Q: Who are you to tell me to not play IO?
    A: I'm just some dude who likes the game, but I like people who take their job seriously while not taking themselves seriously, get me? If you really do want to be an IO, I suggest that you learn as much as you can before becoming one, hence the guide.

Q: This all seems intimidating. I don't think I can become an IO.
    A: Riding a bike is intimidating. Learning how to drive a car is intimidating. Asking a person you like out is intimidating. What isn't in life buddy? Prepare the best you can and then give it your best shot!

Q: Isn't stealing from places meta-gaming?
    A: According to the Rules, no, within reason of course. Rule 2 - Roleplay states that I should be "a reasonably realistic character". I like to believe IO's are IO's because they've gone through intense CIA training and were assigned to the Almayer with the marines. It makes sense to me as IO's mostly break and enter into places to gather intel, like a spy! It's neither powergaming nor metagaming either, as since you have such a high engineering skill, you would reasonably be expected to know how to fix APC's, yet you are not allowed into engineering to secure the resources to fix it. It's kind of odd that we're not issued the items necessary to repair things anyways. So keep the stealing as an IC thing, or just simply ask somebody to help you get the items!

Q: Thermite? Isn't shooting the wall or C4 a lot better?
    A: Yes, there can be an argument for thermite vs C4, but while C4 probably should be saved for blowing up blast doors, thermite can melt through the walls around the blast door. There's no guarantee to get a brick of C4. Req might not have enough points and by the time you chase down all the engineers, you'll probably be too late to collect any intel. On the other hand, researchers at roundstart will almost certainly be free to work with you. As lower medbay has a queue for medics, you'll be chatting with the researchers in upper medbay for some thermite.

Q: A bodyguard? But the CO/XO is already assigning me a squad!
    A: Yes, but these are marines that don't share a connection with you. Plus, the more people you have in a squad, the slower you move, the more noise you make, and the more chances of friendly fire. Stick to 2-3 man groups, trust me. This way you can control the pace at which you go and you aren't prone to losing 2 people wearing heavy armor who can't keep up.

Q: No Xeno kills? What's the point of playing Colonial Marines?
    A: The same reason people play doctor, cargo technician, or maintenance technician. Believe it or not, an IO is more of a support role than a pure killing machine. You can still attempt to kill Xenos, just know that it's not recommended because it is not your job to die, that's the job of the marine. If you wanna unga, by all means, unga away. Just don't play IO only to unga. That's all I ask.

Q: Light Armor? But the intelligence armor is medium speed with heavy protection! It also has more inventory slots than light armor!
    A: I hear you man, I used to think that way too. Then I realize that medium speed with heavy protection means that you're prone to being captured more easily. Blows that would normally kill a medium to light armored marine would only knock you out. This is bad due to the ease of capture that you're presenting to the salivating xenos with your unconscious body and juicy intel you have. Also, if you are injured, you have less slow-down allowing you to get that ever closer to allies who may come to your rescue. It is better to die than to be captured.

Q: What weapon do you prefer as an IO? How do you run it?
    A: I use the M37 shotgun with a recoil compensator, red dot sight, and a gyroscopic stabilizer. Slugs loaded. Ten slugs loaded and ten on spare in my light armor slots. If I am alone, I also bring ten buckshot shells to break lockers. I like this combination as it allows me to use the shotgun with one hand, leaving one hand free to drag/carry anything from a roller bed to picking up intel.

Also, sneaking around is pretty fun if you listen to any of the Metal Gear Solid soundtrack. I prefer, MGS3 - CQC, MGS3 - Gronzyj Grad (Caution), MGS2 - Twilight Sniping, and MGS2 - Crew's Quarters. I'm also partial other songs such as Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Danganronpa - BOX 15, and Stellaris - Deep Space Travel

Special Thanks
    "No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks" - James Allen

Adrianna 'Icarus' Blyant- My sister from another mother. A great person overall. Loyal and quick to learn. Never leaves a man behind.

(Scribbled underneath in feminine handwriting is, "You wouldn't have finished writing this book if it wasn't for the fact that I bothered to save your sorry ass")

Allie Bell - Is a nerd, but on a more serious note, a good marine who can't seem to hit her spec/SG rolls. A very robust marine.

Aura 'Cross' Phoenix - Hates the MD, but likes hanging out with me. Loyal, and ensures I am safe. Always carries two guns.

Cohen Watson - Usually is an SG, but most of the time rolls bravo SG. Always looking for a job to do, so he insists on escorting me even if he leaves the FOB. A good man.

David 'Dixie' - I forgot your last name, sorry. You know who you are. An excellent tank crewman, always asking for DEFCON 2, and I always provide.

Diana Lykke - My very first bodyguard. Always grabs an intel key and tries to hang out with the IO's. Not easily bored and very interested in the IO life. Only the highest praises from me.

Flynt M. Darling - Darling! A good PO, always catches my fultons even if I bust his balls by fultoning at a bad time. I wouldn't lower DEFCON as often without him.

Friedrich 'Fries' Faust - Always willing, always working, always guarding. All I need to do is ask and he will provide. A solid, steady marine.

Kameron Hunter - A good researcher, makes lots of combat/healing drugs and sends them my way. A thermite god.

Leonard 'Null' Alder - Overheard me ask for a volunteer, I pointed him to another IO. That IO died. So he stuck with me instead. Always looking to be helpful in any way he can. Reliable.

Miranda 'Frost' Vayne - Never seen without her trusty backpack, wants to unga HARD all the time. Two shotguns for twice the blast. I've killed the most Xenos with her.

Rodrick Fisher - In the same league as Hunter, except he labels my thermite, "weebmite". I don't know why, but I chuckle all the time nonetheless. (you fucking weeb)

Seth Harazuka - My first friend I made in CM-SS13, I always find him dead, dying, or in medbay getting fixed up. The essence of unga embodied.

Xiomara 'Mezcal' Morales - A fellow IO, always asking about my 20 and if I'm okay or not. I always have the best time whenever she's around.
    Last edited by Seabass390; 06-16-2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Intel Computer Update 6/10/2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An IO guide with standard file organization, almost survivor level door hacking and powergaming, I give it an unga/10, good guide.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen Landon as an Intelligence Officer quite a bit now and he knows his stuff. Fantastic IO guide that I think lots of future players will be looking over, great work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatman52 View Post
    An IO guide with standard file organization, almost survivor level door hacking and powergaming, I give it an unga/10, good guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
    I've seen Landon as an Intelligence Officer quite a bit now and he knows his stuff. Fantastic IO guide that I think lots of future players will be looking over, great work.
    Thanks for the praise you two! I hope future players will get lots of good information out of this guide. I'm still learning more tips and tricks myself, so I'll be keeping the guide updated as much as I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good guide! I give it 10 delta corpses fultoned outta 10

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw the WY logo papers that go to research can be stacked or put in a normal folder/clipboard to save space. More IOs ought to do this

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good guide. Only major suggestion I have is that light armor is usually a better option than IO armor, as you are much faster in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    Good guide. Only major suggestion I have is that light armor is usually a better option than IO armor, as you are much faster in it.
    I'd be inclined to argue the 4 storage slots for similar slowdown to medium (I dont wear it often as Ive seldom IO'd, only been given it so I may be incorrect) Far outweighs the slowdown, especially in a role where storage space is more important.

Whitelisted Synthetic CallunaBorealis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These secure safes cannot be crowbarred, C4'd or otherwise kinetically forced. The only way you can open these safes is by using a brute-force attack, in which an attacker (you) uses many passwords in the hopes of eventually guessing correctly.

[sic]

Note: You DO NOT need to keep pressing the button "Open Safe". Once you have achieved the right combination, the chat lock will display a noise such as click!, spring!, or some indication that you have achieved the right combo.
    So that's how you open a safe without a combo. Thank you!

Here are some words of wisdom I can give you.

Slow is steady, steady is fast
    Never ever move alone. Always have a battle buddy.
    Choose to die another day.
    Share power and ask for assistance
    Under-promise and Over-deliver!
    Taken out of context, that is actually good life advice.

I am astonished by how detailed this guide to being a good IO is like. Deserves to be officially recommended. Thanks for writing this Seabass390!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehillus View Post
    I'd be inclined to argue the 4 storage slots for similar slowdown to medium (I dont wear it often as Ive seldom IO'd, only been given it so I may be incorrect) Far outweighs the slowdown, especially in a role where storage space is more important.
    Trust me, as IO, storage space is NOT as important as being able to dodge Lurkers.

If you are a good IO, you always carry both a data detector AND a MD, and the moment you see a blue dot and your alone, you want to be able to run to the FOB as fast as possible or find a abusable corner that lets you dodge the initial lurker pounce so you can go for the buckshot PB.

Otherwise you die, and then no one will recover you.

Preferable you should never be alone as a IO but more often than not, your fellow IO's either suck ass, are mute, or do not exist, and hence you have to be swift and rely on your MD like its your God and savior.