User Tag List

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: How CM's host is above his own rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What on earth are you talking about? You don't have to be a staff member to bring up suggestions about the game, just like you don't need to be a chef to critique your food. Anyway, this whole thread is a literal former staff member who has held almost every role critiquing the staff.

Also the scientific community is the exact opposite of what you're attempting to say. You gather evidence to support your claim, not the other way around. ESL?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imheretohelp View Post
    Imagine thinking you can have RP when you are in constant danger of getting instantly fragged by 40% of the server. Combat is antithetical to roleplay. If you are fighting you cant roleplay because you are in battle. The only interesting thing going on in the round is the xeno vs marine battle. Most if not all roleplay stems from cool moments that happen AFTER a battle. Like whoa fuck that runner am i right fellow marines. Regular ss13 servers have jobs and departments and lots of toys and shit to spur roleplay. Each department focusing on different things. In CM all departments are directly connected to the battle. So... thats all people wanna do. There is also a competitive element. People develop rivalries and metagame robust names on both sides. How you gonna have le epic hrp with that going on?

You can try to shake it up outside of combat but you do risk getting staff heat. I mean my entire CM career is me shaking it up and getting staff heat. I remember I got in trouble for announcing that we are in a combat simulation. I thought itd be good for roleplay but I guess not.

Expecting high roleplay on cm is expecting milsim in a 100 man arma 3 server. Its just lol to think anyone will invest the energy to roleplay when they are a drop in a pond in a sea of noise and danger.

The solution is simple: just embrace being LRP and punish people who do unfunny disruptive memes. Like staff is already LRP they do dumb events all the time. Two days ago I kept saying "admin aheal plz" and acute spawned me in as a monkey. Or grimreaper turning a prisoner into a lurker which just lead to me injecting abomination blood and turning into a robot. Like we are already LRP and people like it that way. Its funny and lets people spur character interaction appropiate for a bunch of dumb retarded expendables.
    Well said and it's why I've stopped trying to RP as much as I used to.

+1 to this gamer

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we may be going about this whole thing the wrong way.

Just spitballing here, but perhaps we need an RP manager position and below them RP enforcement admins with some trial RP moderators. They can focus solely on reading each line of text during the rounds and handle any issues like a marine saying "lol", immediately with extreme prejudice.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HBlokkum View Post

Just spitballing here, but perhaps we need an RP manager position and below them RP enforcement admins with some trial RP moderators. They can focus solely on reading each line of text during the rounds and handle any issues like a marine saying "lol", immediately with extreme prejudice.
    This is a fantastic idea. And we can get an RP Head of Staff, too. Or a Chief Medium roleplay Police.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad idea chief, we don't need specific moderator positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you volunteer for one of these roles? I think we should have people start as RP mentors, then they can work their way up to RP chief supreme admin.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gib rp police hat

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrentia View Post
    Do you volunteer for one of these roles? I think we should have people start as RP mentors, then they can work their way up to RP chief supreme admin.
    In addition, we can employ a handful of people off Fiverr to act as impartial arbitrators for any misuse of power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
    Just want to call you out for not knowing a thing about what you're saying.

All our heads and developers are active and we haven't had a single major issue come from any of them. People make bad judgement calls sometimes when running events but none of it has ever had a long lasting impact on our game. And if you think internal bickering is a bad thing you'll quickly learn that a team that doesn't argue internally will never make progress on hot topics and we'd be stuck in a status quo forever. Arguments are a driving power of maintaining a game and a community because it's the best way of getting over our differences and reaching common ground.

Our dev team spends hours and hours talking/arguing over our direction and the end result is the work we put through. It will never appeal to everyone in the community because that's impossible, and we'll never know the true impact of a change until it's been tried and tested live because our dev team is small. We don't have a dedicated testing team, and we don't have the means to fund one either. This is not an industry-made game, it's a hobby. And while we care very much about community feedback and happiness, it's still ultimately up to us to decide where we want to take things as a team.

If you want to quit the game over a bunch of baseless nostalgia then you should just do it. People won't change their minds just because you threaten to quit.
    Sorry to burst your bubble there but I actually have a clue.

But let's cover this from a long ass time frame and go from there shall we because this shit is still a holdover from the apop / feweh / raz era of the community. Like I say, we are just going back to those days. I just simply talk to others and such. This is what I find out and let's be honest, the post I made is accurate to a point and bursting this bubble you and other like minded people have might actually avoid shit like this from happening, because it's clear that things are not so pretty behind the veil staff hold out over themselves. Is this an attack? No. Am I taking sides? No, I'm just stating shit as I personally see it and can investigate from it.

To start that I went and asked someone to confirm what time frame that is in your image. That's a month's worth of playtime from December. Not a good month to judge from with holiday commitments but oh well. That's 13 hours of playtime in December for you, not like my time was great but then I had other things to play, you should have posted the 28 days in January. For instance your time in January is currently up to the 20th is 30 hours mine is 31 hours and I barely play CM any more and have no commitments to it, this also does count the time you are connected to the game, I get nothing by observing. I don't know about your habits in the game but mine is join, die, permadie then I click the x in the corner till next round most of the time.

But sure, argue that you may, I'll just point to our penguin that didn't clock in for months and only acquired a FOUR hour time in the span of those months. That's a Head right there that didn't do much at all for months plus he had commitments to the forums that he didn't do. Then came along boomer man and solved it all in a week or two. It's well known that both Jamie and EB didn't really play the game themselves. Sure life has issues but trying to pretend everyone is active doesn't work. Do they do their job? Sure, they may do it extremely well, but activity wise? Just be honest about it. I'm not asking for checks or outright removals but let's get real here. 5 people removed in December is a small thing about staff not being active and while it could be argued it's a cherry pick it does show some levels of inactivity.

It's not a lot to say that devs don't play much because that's what some elements of the community believe in and sometimes it shows with some of the updates we get and have gotten over the past. Needless to say we also had areas where devs really HAVEN'T played for ages or at least parts of it and started making serious changed to the game and when they fell flat and the community spoke up about it you can see where the “devs don't play” argument comes from. Does it carry over to a current CM now? Sure as shit it does and it still shows now from time to time. While it's better than it was before there are some things that went down the pan, the newest maps have some issues because they don't fit CM currently (sure some updates on the way blah blah) but right now people just avoid playing them as if it was ice. CORSAT being an exception at times. I just guess people don't like gimmicky maps and just want to unga who knows.

Heck looking at more current things out there, you have some really silly things that while minor are also rather silly to actually add. The part where you need a CL to mess around in research was silly. Timelocks, again silly, maybe coming out and saying why such things come about might fix some of the speculation rather than falling back on the “making sure people know how to play the game”. It's obvious and has been commented on that it wont fix anything and let's be honest here, it hasn't. Is this shitting on someone on the whole? No because research is far better now and actually has a role, but I'm not going to let something like that slip because it's silly. Timelocks I've nagged about for ages read my other posts on it really, the fact you fixed the carbine after it being broken for ages shows something as well. It's the little things, not the big shit, that matters to people and that's why the “devs don't play” mantra exists.

Get out of the bubble and play the game as some knuckle dragging gun monkey and march. Heck look at the xenos, sure you are currently working on it yourself but on the last test it showed that the core problems were not exactly solved. The xenos back in the days mattatlas went ape as a dev and changed things around also made them something that people were terrified of while maintaining a good balance. How do you fix this sort of thing? Not hard, just broaden what you play, play don't observe the whole test, shit if you personally do all this yourself and still have people nagging you just ask people what they think, heck ask some of the veterans for a one to one discussion about something if you must. It's not hard and I've had discussions with a couple of devs who were asking around for opinions. Maybe then you can at least crack that “devs don't play mentality” because I sure still have it and I clearly can see that devs don't play enough when core problems crop up more than once in regards to balance or something and I'm just some mook who's played for a while.

But an example of the old days with apop might be needed for some clarification on what I'm on about.
    When quick clot fixed IB in that you could inject someone and then patch them up life was great and all for medics, then they removed that from under our feet. As a medic main and as soon as I saw that in the change log I instantly thought “let me guess, people are going to die en mass due to IB” and so on the first round I went PFC and packed a medhud, stasis bags and a roller bed on top of my shotgun loadout. I was proven right because people were dying because of IB. Needless to say that most of my time was rollerbedding people around without armour on for rounds on end and providing the much needed aid that the medics wanted. I spent days doing just that alone because someone made a clear oversight and obviously didn't play enough medic, or just any marine really to know that IB was a really serious killer. In the end the OD limit on QC was changed, the dosage of QC changed and the damage IB did was lessened by not making it kill you within a minute. Then the medevac stretcher came along to sweeten the deal. Sure all that shit is new content but a small oversight like that has some really large effects on the whole. So when I or other say that devs don't play, compared to the people who play constantly and know their shit, they really don't.

Some of the 'events' people run sure are very bad judgement calls that make me think why? No seriously, a round where every xeno is a pred alien sounds like fun, not. A round where the queens stats are changed so it's mechanically unkillable (changing pheromones one time). The attempts to stop 'meta rushes' and what is considered one. Sure it's not easy to get it right all the time but there are some really really bad judgement calls out there, rumor has it that admins can't run events atm due to what one person has done recently. Not really a great sign. I'll even direct this to soldier and just refer to what sleepy said and then sum it up. Most people in CM have laundry if they have been staff, the boomer even mentioned this himself in the 'black book' remark and I honestly can see this being a thing. Heck in the same talks I've had privately there has been shit flinging towards other staff from staff and ex staff. I've actively seen some of the shit I and others complain about and as much as people report it or complain about it. It's dealt with in an obtuse manner that no one can see and it appears like nothing happens don't be surprised by people not being positive about it.

For your comment on internal bickering I think this thread alone is good enough, heck my previous paragraph mentions that off comments about staff behind peoples proverbial backs is a good indicator that there's some disunity and this is stuff I just pick up from time to time. Some of it is petty shit some on the other hand sounds more than just a minor disagreement. So take that as you will and don't try and rub it off as some sort of minor thing only. And as much as you say that an argument is for maintaining a community blah blah you started off with a quick snipe right off the bat and try to end your post insinuating shit, what can I say? Grow up a little and don't take everything as a personal attack. Now arguments between people for constructive things is great but none of the peons will see that unless they were friends with a dev and had spoken with them before. Needless to say the disunity point then comes across to me seeing as because people tend to gripe about stuff, shit happens I guess.

Still let's dive into the direction that staff go into with RP because let's be honest... What RP? The server used to be a stricter place than now, people didn't like it then because it was forced and the danger of combat makes it impossible to be yanked away from playing the game to RP some shit. There is little to no reward to RP and there is no real incentive to do so. Brawls, breakfasts and other shit used to happen but now it does not. Staff still like to pretend that is CM is an MRP server when in reality it's a LRP server. The people just don't RP, they only really 'RP' when some really memey shit comes along, see dinkle or carson for this. I hold the opinion that if you want to RP, go to a server that has ERP, at least you are getting a reward out of it. Personally I actually don't mind the TDM mindset because that's what the server is tbh. Staff has done meme tier events, staff has done meme tier shit in game outside of events and then they wonder why the server has shifted towards a LRP setting. Sure what dinkle has said about punishing meme levels of shit is agreeable but staff can't even decide on what the level of RP is.

Now people may say I'm picking sides here. I'm not. We've had abuse and shit from apop and feweh. We've had stuff from the raz and SLC changeover with lawsuit threats being tossed around. We've had the spookydonut stuff where editing someone's vars so they would trigger claymores and then bragging about it. Then we had the Emerald blood spawning incendiary ammo and then BLASTING a marine to death with it as a fellow marine for the reasoning of “I want to RP with da pred,” followed with “I haven't played for a while and want to get into it again.” All of this came about when another staff member actually came forward and that staff member was told to go through the “correct channels” via the internal report system that the average member doesn't get to see. It's not transparent and I think people really need to start airing this out. For the many times this has happened and each time things have been tightly kept under wraps I seriously think people need to be far more transparent with this. It's not to say that things haven't improved because it has, but it's clear that it hasn't improved enough and we're dealing with the fallout of it again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann handle View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble there but I actually have a clue.

But let's cover this from a long ass time frame and go from there shall we because this shit is still a holdover from the apop / feweh / raz era of the community. Like I say, we are just going back to those days. I just simply talk to others and such. This is what I find out and let's be honest, the post I made is accurate to a point and bursting this bubble you and other like minded people have might actually avoid shit like this from happening, because it's clear that things are not so pretty behind the veil staff hold out over themselves. Is this an attack? No. Am I taking sides? No, I'm just stating shit as I personally see it and can investigate from it.

To start that I went and asked someone to confirm what time frame that is in your image. That's a month's worth of playtime from December. Not a good month to judge from with holiday commitments but oh well. That's 13 hours of playtime in December for you, not like my time was great but then I had other things to play, you should have posted the 28 days in January. For instance your time in January is currently up to the 20th is 30 hours mine is 31 hours and I barely play CM any more and have no commitments to it, this also does count the time you are connected to the game, I get nothing by observing. I don't know about your habits in the game but mine is join, die, permadie then I click the x in the corner till next round most of the time.

But sure, argue that you may, I'll just point to our penguin that didn't clock in for months and only acquired a FOUR hour time in the span of those months. That's a Head right there that didn't do much at all for months plus he had commitments to the forums that he didn't do. Then came along boomer man and solved it all in a week or two. It's well known that both Jamie and EB didn't really play the game themselves. Sure life has issues but trying to pretend everyone is active doesn't work. Do they do their job? Sure, they may do it extremely well, but activity wise? Just be honest about it. I'm not asking for checks or outright removals but let's get real here. 5 people removed in December is a small thing about staff not being active and while it could be argued it's a cherry pick it does show some levels of inactivity.

It's not a lot to say that devs don't play much because that's what some elements of the community believe in and sometimes it shows with some of the updates we get and have gotten over the past. Needless to say we also had areas where devs really HAVEN'T played for ages or at least parts of it and started making serious changed to the game and when they fell flat and the community spoke up about it you can see where the “devs don't play” argument comes from. Does it carry over to a current CM now? Sure as shit it does and it still shows now from time to time. While it's better than it was before there are some things that went down the pan, the newest maps have some issues because they don't fit CM currently (sure some updates on the way blah blah) but right now people just avoid playing them as if it was ice. CORSAT being an exception at times. I just guess people don't like gimmicky maps and just want to unga who knows.

Heck looking at more current things out there, you have some really silly things that while minor are also rather silly to actually add. The part where you need a CL to mess around in research was silly. Timelocks, again silly, maybe coming out and saying why such things come about might fix some of the speculation rather than falling back on the “making sure people know how to play the game”. It's obvious and has been commented on that it wont fix anything and let's be honest here, it hasn't. Is this shitting on someone on the whole? No because research is far better now and actually has a role, but I'm not going to let something like that slip because it's silly. Timelocks I've nagged about for ages read my other posts on it really, the fact you fixed the carbine after it being broken for ages shows something as well. It's the little things, not the big shit, that matters to people and that's why the “devs don't play” mantra exists.

Get out of the bubble and play the game as some knuckle dragging gun monkey and march. Heck look at the xenos, sure you are currently working on it yourself but on the last test it showed that the core problems were not exactly solved. The xenos back in the days mattatlas went ape as a dev and changed things around also made them something that people were terrified of while maintaining a good balance. How do you fix this sort of thing? Not hard, just broaden what you play, play don't observe the whole test, shit if you personally do all this yourself and still have people nagging you just ask people what they think, heck ask some of the veterans for a one to one discussion about something if you must. It's not hard and I've had discussions with a couple of devs who were asking around for opinions. Maybe then you can at least crack that “devs don't play mentality” because I sure still have it and I clearly can see that devs don't play enough when core problems crop up more than once in regards to balance or something and I'm just some mook who's played for a while.

But an example of the old days with apop might be needed for some clarification on what I'm on about.
    When quick clot fixed IB in that you could inject someone and then patch them up life was great and all for medics, then they removed that from under our feet. As a medic main and as soon as I saw that in the change log I instantly thought “let me guess, people are going to die en mass due to IB” and so on the first round I went PFC and packed a medhud, stasis bags and a roller bed on top of my shotgun loadout. I was proven right because people were dying because of IB. Needless to say that most of my time was rollerbedding people around without armour on for rounds on end and providing the much needed aid that the medics wanted. I spent days doing just that alone because someone made a clear oversight and obviously didn't play enough medic, or just any marine really to know that IB was a really serious killer. In the end the OD limit on QC was changed, the dosage of QC changed and the damage IB did was lessened by not making it kill you within a minute. Then the medevac stretcher came along to sweeten the deal. Sure all that shit is new content but a small oversight like that has some really large effects on the whole. So when I or other say that devs don't play, compared to the people who play constantly and know their shit, they really don't.

Some of the 'events' people run sure are very bad judgement calls that make me think why? No seriously, a round where every xeno is a pred alien sounds like fun, not. A round where the queens stats are changed so it's mechanically unkillable (changing pheromones one time). The attempts to stop 'meta rushes' and what is considered one. Sure it's not easy to get it right all the time but there are some really really bad judgement calls out there, rumor has it that admins can't run events atm due to what one person has done recently. Not really a great sign. I'll even direct this to soldier and just refer to what sleepy said and then sum it up. Most people in CM have laundry if they have been staff, the boomer even mentioned this himself in the 'black book' remark and I honestly can see this being a thing. Heck in the same talks I've had privately there has been shit flinging towards other staff from staff and ex staff. I've actively seen some of the shit I and others complain about and as much as people report it or complain about it. It's dealt with in an obtuse manner that no one can see and it appears like nothing happens don't be surprised by people not being positive about it.

For your comment on internal bickering I think this thread alone is good enough, heck my previous paragraph mentions that off comments about staff behind peoples proverbial backs is a good indicator that there's some disunity and this is stuff I just pick up from time to time. Some of it is petty shit some on the other hand sounds more than just a minor disagreement. So take that as you will and don't try and rub it off as some sort of minor thing only. And as much as you say that an argument is for maintaining a community blah blah you started off with a quick snipe right off the bat and try to end your post insinuating shit, what can I say? Grow up a little and don't take everything as a personal attack. Now arguments between people for constructive things is great but none of the peons will see that unless they were friends with a dev and had spoken with them before. Needless to say the disunity point then comes across to me seeing as because people tend to gripe about stuff, shit happens I guess.

Still let's dive into the direction that staff go into with RP because let's be honest... What RP? The server used to be a stricter place than now, people didn't like it then because it was forced and the danger of combat makes it impossible to be yanked away from playing the game to RP some shit. There is little to no reward to RP and there is no real incentive to do so. Brawls, breakfasts and other shit used to happen but now it does not. Staff still like to pretend that is CM is an MRP server when in reality it's a LRP server. The people just don't RP, they only really 'RP' when some really memey shit comes along, see dinkle or carson for this. I hold the opinion that if you want to RP, go to a server that has ERP, at least you are getting a reward out of it. Personally I actually don't mind the TDM mindset because that's what the server is tbh. Staff has done meme tier events, staff has done meme tier shit in game outside of events and then they wonder why the server has shifted towards a LRP setting. Sure what dinkle has said about punishing meme levels of shit is agreeable but staff can't even decide on what the level of RP is.

Now people may say I'm picking sides here. I'm not. We've had abuse and shit from apop and feweh. We've had stuff from the raz and SLC changeover with lawsuit threats being tossed around. We've had the spookydonut stuff where editing someone's vars so they would trigger claymores and then bragging about it. Then we had the Emerald blood spawning incendiary ammo and then BLASTING a marine to death with it as a fellow marine for the reasoning of “I want to RP with da pred,” followed with “I haven't played for a while and want to get into it again.” All of this came about when another staff member actually came forward and that staff member was told to go through the “correct channels” via the internal report system that the average member doesn't get to see. It's not transparent and I think people really need to start airing this out. For the many times this has happened and each time things have been tightly kept under wraps I seriously think people need to be far more transparent with this. It's not to say that things haven't improved because it has, but it's clear that it hasn't improved enough and we're dealing with the fallout of it again.
    can you make a tldr