User Tag List

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: How CM's host is above his own rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akabinxstar View Post
    can you make a tldr
    Sure.
    Read the whole post in full. You were gifted with the ability to read and if you can't be bothered to read something that is two pages long on a word document at the size of 9.7 then you'll miss the point of the whole thing.

Is that a good enough tl;dr?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann handle View Post
    Sure.
    Read the whole post in full. You were gifted with the ability to read and if you can't be bothered to read something that is two pages long on a word document at the size of 9.7 then you'll miss the point of the whole thing.

no, it was not

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann handle View Post
    Sure.

BASED. I read the whole post and it's definitely worth reading through, it's not just a wall of text and very clearly outlines all the drama and problems that have developed over the years, without any real attempts to fix it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imheretohelp View Post
    Imagine thinking you can have RP when you are in constant danger of getting instantly fragged by 40% of the server. Combat is antithetical to roleplay. If you are fighting you cant roleplay because you are in battle. The only interesting thing going on in the round is the xeno vs marine battle. Most if not all roleplay stems from cool moments that happen AFTER a battle. Like whoa fuck that runner am i right fellow marines. Regular ss13 servers have jobs and departments and lots of toys and shit to spur roleplay. Each department focusing on different things. In CM all departments are directly connected to the battle. So... thats all people wanna do. There is also a competitive element. People develop rivalries and metagame robust names on both sides. How you gonna have le epic hrp with that going on?

You can try to shake it up outside of combat but you do risk getting staff heat. I mean my entire CM career is me shaking it up and getting staff heat. I remember I got in trouble for announcing that we are in a combat simulation. I thought itd be good for roleplay but I guess not.

Expecting high roleplay on cm is expecting milsim in a 100 man arma 3 server. Its just lol to think anyone will invest the energy to roleplay when they are a drop in a pond in a sea of noise and danger.

The solution is simple: just embrace being LRP and punish people who do unfunny disruptive memes. Like staff is already LRP they do dumb events all the time. Two days ago I kept saying "admin aheal plz" and acute spawned me in as a monkey. Or grimreaper turning a prisoner into a lurker which just lead to me injecting abomination blood and turning into a robot. Like we are already LRP and people like it that way. Its funny and lets people spur character interaction appropiate for a bunch of dumb retarded expendables.
    I think that you disprove your own point here in some capacity.

Combat for marines IS rp, obviously they shouldn't be /meing gakking some retard runner, but in the downtime and the lulls in combat is where CM has the capacity to be a MRP server. Throwing in some bravado and fist-bumping your squad spec after you fuck on some alien bastards. I'd argue that if CM had lore and more shipside RP mechanics that you'd see more MRP instead of needing to resort to LRP memes to have ANYTHING happening at all. Take the fist bump/hi-five feature for example - that (for me at least) has increased my le epic mrp marine interactions. Imagine if CM had lore for admins to base MRP events on, then there could be even more le epic mrp marine interactions. Roleplay and combat aren't mutually exclusive to have in a server, RP just has to weasel its way into the downtimes.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahKirchner View Post
    I think that you disprove your own point here in some capacity.

Combat for marines IS rp, obviously they shouldn't be /meing gakking some retard runner, but in the downtime and the lulls in combat is where CM has the capacity to be a MRP server. Throwing in some bravado and fist-bumping your squad spec after you fuck on some alien bastards. I'd argue that if CM had lore and more shipside RP mechanics that you'd see more MRP instead of needing to resort to LRP memes to have ANYTHING happening at all. Take the fist bump/hi-five feature for example - that (for me at least) has increased my le epic mrp marine interactions. Imagine if CM had lore for admins to base MRP events on, then there could be even more le epic mrp marine interactions. Roleplay and combat aren't mutually exclusive to have in a server, RP just has to weasel its way into the downtimes.
    Yeah I agree, I want the server to have both good RP AND good gameplay. You don't need to only have one or the other.
    The fist bump/hi-five thing is legitimately a great addition despite it being so simple. Everyone wants to be able to do shit like that in games.

Roleplay in the downtimes is also the best way to start to develop more of a character, rather than just having "Funny name and appearance man" or "18 year old anime girl but also a marine". People enjoying having varied COs like Windhealer, Carson, Dinkle, Greg Lauffer, and Aestel, to name a few, all for different reasons, but the main one is that they all know how to make a round FUN. Let the queens have some more freedom in how they roleplay, let them just shitpost AS their roleplaying, since it's an alien hivemind that could sound like quite literally anything.

CM has always been a very goofy game, like SS13 as a whole, and I think it would benefit the game a lot to change what you view MRP as. It's letting players do whatever they want, within reasonable bounds of the game, as long as they put EFFORT into it. Being good at the gameplay part is putting effort in, just as much as having an entertaining XO,SO, CO, RO, or even CMP is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrentia View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? You don't have to be a staff member to bring up suggestions about the game, just like you don't need to be a chef to critique your food. Anyway, this whole thread is a literal former staff member who has held almost every role critiquing the staff.

Also the scientific community is the exact opposite of what you're attempting to say. You gather evidence to support your claim, not the other way around. ESL?
    You're fucking kidding me about how you don't need to be a chef to critique someones food? LOL, OKAY

That whole staff thing, and about the scientific community, you base it off of observational studies. If you only get one side of a perspective, and you know, the whole quote of "if you want to prove something, you first try to disprove it" ya, the same applies. When you have the option to become a staff member, and generally see the, you know, THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SPECTRUM, then maybe, just maybe, you'll see the stubbornness that is called the playerbase.

Or maybe, just maybe, you believe your own bullshit. Which if that's the case, HAHAHA, good luck. Also good luck working as a line cook
    Last edited by Lauren Von Fusegana; 01-29-2020 at 02:56 AM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a SS13 server for about a year for 8chan, and there was less drama and more fun on that server than what CM has now, AND they had better roleplay. I was heavily involved with the rounds, too! It's entirely possible to be staff and still like your playerbase.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't this a thread about EB complaining that Jamies removed her without warning from vice host, even though she had a supposedly a super powerful position so removing there powers would be more critical then if they were a mod or something.

Because it devolving into that monthly thread that staff sucks, rp sucks, everything sucks.

Want RP? Be the change you want and RP instead of being an other mute ugna trying to suicide rush into ayys. And the RP doesn't have to be a 10000 word essay on some cringy shit. Just talking about the situation and talking about the battles and just making some simple stuff up can help foster some RP. Know what having some RP going along with a whole battle really ties it in together. When you see a whole story come out from players sometimes people remember it and can be as epic as that battle you had with the aliens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the real problem is that it took a year or 2 for a semblance of the administration cycle being improved

the joke of "senior mods are just untrusted admins" is still a meme

i talked to soldier about it a year or (2?) ago and its still a meme but its something i find weird

most of the dedicated mods get burnt out being the ban slaves of the burnt out admins who don't play, and when they become the next wave of burnt out admins, they do the same to the mods below them

there was like 2 admins i know of who weren't like this, and one of them retired and the other i forgot his name but i think he's gone now as well

the admin cycle should have been tmod to see if you know what your doing, mod for a month or two to prove you can handle yourself, then admin for the fun buttons. i say this as someone who was a admin on hippiestation where they had a similar system and it worked well

keeping people in a perpetual "trial" status (which i personally believe current moderator is) just fosters a culture of sucking up to those higher than you for favors and the creations of cliques because the person above you has fun buttons and you don't. sounds childish and petty, but time and time again shit like this happens in CM and its really not a surprise anymore when the very administration cycle is setup to foster, to put it bluntly, ass kissers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truthfully, I don't think a forum thread regarding internal staff drama which is 18 pages in and is littered with shitposting, interpersonal drama, and several branching discussions is really the place to suggest sweeping changes for CM. I mean, you can have ideas, and I have opinions on a lot of the ideas suggested, but they're probably not going to see the light of day if they're so deep down this rabbit hole.

I mean, you guys can always feel free to DM me and discuss your concerns or present ideas, and you'll get my feedback or opinions on it all pretty quickly. I dunno, maybe the idea is scary to people or something, but I guarantee it'd be a more productive conversation than duking it out in a completely unrelated forum thread.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.