User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should squad stereotypes be reinforced through gameplay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only remaining squad identity that survived the test of time is bravo is the FOB squad.

I'd be down for reinforcing squad identities but what made it magic to me was that it was just agreed upon by all the players, rather than the game effectively leading players into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie is the coward squad, not the cohesion squad. I remember a discussion in discord about it a while ago of these things, although i don't believe it should be reinforced in gameplay. Only Bravo, really, is the truest stereotype.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie squad identity ended ages ago, all the regulars went elsewhere so they are just a blank slate squad that's far worse than alpha these days. It's by far the least enjoyable squad to roll, but enforcing old stereotypes is a bad idea imo. It should be organic, not forced, to be enjoyable.
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the culture of Charlie is long gone as the roleplayers vacated the server for baystation or shipside roles

bravo survived and is still known as "FOBites"

alpha is a mixed bag. they tend to be the mega wild card. sometimes i roll alpha SL because every other SL is taken and get robustos at the level of old Delta, like Spheretech and Boris level good

other times they are so retarded that you might as well give them a HEFA nade so they can at least suicide in peace

Delta is still the combat squad and ultimate unga squad but its lost a lot of its oldies, and the culture of being the unga / combat squad means retards join the squad and pretend to be actual Delta's when in reality they are actually Alpha's who look up to oldie Delta players for their K/D without realizing why they are so good

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old Bravo shall never be forgotten.....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how i miss old grape gang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stereotypes are stereotypes because they represent the players in the squad, not the game. So no.

Also Charlie's been trash since the 3rd gen with Lydia and Haley Altman left, so stop thinking you're hot shit. Charlie's literally worse than Alpha, because Alpha isn't a blank slate at least

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make it so COs or the next highest ranking officer can grant squads specific boons depending on their orders from a Comms console at round start. This means that squads wont bitch and moan about being given orders that conflict with their chosen specialization since they're not the ones deciding, AND it will decrease the rigidity of each squads' stereotypical role by encouraging players to try different tactics according to the shiny new gadgets they get. Furthermore this will encourage CIC staff to be more proactive early on and not half-ass a battle plan when briefing rolls around.
    As a safeguard, if no CIC staff are present or willing to grant boons 5-10 minutes in the round each squad's SL can choose a boon.

A few suggestions for Squad Specialization Boons:

SIEGE BOON: more metal, turrets, tac binos, a mobile operating table, ammo crates, C4, etc. Additionally, all squaddies get 1 point in construction/engineering so they can better assist with building the FOB instead of having to stand around.

INTEL BOON: squad tracker for IOs, fultons, some of the fancy IO gear, intel trackers, more AP ammo, medevac stretcher except it accepts intel & documents, slight movement bonus. All squaddies get 1 point in intel so they can assist with reading simple documents and managing intel for IOs.

FIRST-AID BOON: more first aid gear, better first aid kits, more pills/injectors, slightly better armor, some specialized drugs like synaptizine/hyperzine for medics. All squaddies get 1 in medical so they can better heal themselves and/or assist medics.

VANGUARD BOON: better melee weapons, better movement speed, more extended ammo, more first-aid gear, more explosives, more signal flares/tac binos, better flamers. All squaddies get 2 in firearms and melee to make them more robust on the frontline (possibly OP, but im not a coder so adjust accordingly).

Having more than four might make for a bit more variety each round much like how there are more Spec roles than Specs each round, but these are just what I think would work off the top of my head.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like ScreamingIdiot's suggestion, though I feel that unless there are more than four boons, it'd just be better to assign them to the Squads. You know that Bravo will complain without the Siege Boon, or some other squad would complain about the role being enforced on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen every squad have people who FF, run from fights, OD, FOB fail, etc. I think you can be surprised by any squad when it comes down to the line though! There are times when players veterans, baldies, assholes and popular faces alike are all forced, organically, to do what has to be done, and that's what makes the story and "magic" in my eyes, regardless of squad stereotype, marine class, or squad assignment. Some new Alpha boot might not PB you instead of the Xeno next you. That Bravo might actually build a mega FOB. That charlie might not run from the fight, finally, and mag dump you in the process. That Delta might not unga ... HAH... no... not gonna happen for Delta.

I like the idea, but I like the non-agreement agreement of the squads as they are. People should and will find out for themselves how squads act and behave and should make their preferred squad selection based on testing the waters of each squad first hand, not what the game describes the squads as.

Not that I don't like the sound of some button in CIC making Delta run faster and hit harder!