User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should squad stereotypes be reinforced through gameplay?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Gloire View Post
    I've seen every squad have people who FF, run from fights, OD, FOB fail, etc. I think you can be surprised by any squad when it comes down to the line though! There are times when players veterans, baldies, assholes and popular faces alike are all forced, organically, to do what has to be done, and that's what makes the story and "magic" in my eyes, regardless of squad stereotype, marine class, or squad assignment. Some new Alpha boot might not PB you instead of the Xeno next you. That Bravo might actually build a mega FOB. That charlie might not run from the fight, finally, and mag dump you in the process. That Delta might not unga ... HAH... no... not gonna happen for Delta.

I like the idea, but I like the non-agreement agreement of the squads as they are. People should and will find out for themselves how squads act and behave and should make their preferred squad selection based on testing the waters of each squad first hand, not what the game describes the squads as.

Not that I don't like the sound of some button in CIC making Delta run faster and hit harder!
    This.

I 'LIKE' this. This is how i found my spot in Bravo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it all boils down to old players teaching baldies, and baldies being eager to learn. If you're new to the game and you just do whatever because "lol it's just a game idk what im doing", then you're gonna be yelled at and die, and then yelled at some more in deadchat. Likewise, if you have a grumpy veteran yelling at a baldie for not knowing what to do, or making a simple mistake, it's just as bad.

It's a two-way street, if you want competent people that fit the squad as you see it, you gotta lead by example, but you also need the others to listen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, Squad Stereotypes are bad. I had Delta build FoBs on the frontline, and god-damn can the lads do a good job at it if they're listening to you.

Again, you will suffer greatly if you play against the Stereotype. But if you have their ears, any squad can literally do anything.

I've lead Bravo on Coordinated Offenses with Fast Strikes and then pulling back after securing Xeno kills.

Alpha on very coordinated breaches and organization.

Charlie on FoB with many kills (We still got the picture of this, almost 20+ Xeno kills alone, without any support from other squads)

Delta on... well, assault. But Delta has good guys who can do defense and construction as well.

It all depends on the SL, and sad to say, it's a popularity contest.

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, as someone who mains Alpha SL because I like helping new players (and may have some deep seated self hatred) I would love to see something to mix up the standard formula.

A man can only get sent to go get cut off and die so many times without getting a little jaded.

That being said, I think it would probably have to be a thing where the squad leader needs command sign-off.

If one squad wants to be a heavy defense focus, but gets sent to go push the hive, it could get seriously messy.

Still, awesome idea, love to see where it goes!
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An issue here worth considering is that a lot of people pick squads based on the expectation of what they are gonna do. For example, if someone is picking Bravo they are expecting to go FOB, and putting them on the front and sending say Delta to build the FOB means you are gonna have disinterested marines at best and incapable marines more likely.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)