Thread: Why aren't CLs whitelist only?

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why aren't CLs whitelist only?

Seriously.

Right now, the role of the CL is a bit like the Mime on most other stations, except on those stations the mime at least has mechanics that are good for a laugh or two and the inevitably bloody feud with the clown. The CL meanwhile has no real mechanical reason to be there, aside from maybe once in a while unlocking research if the round is long and someone actually bothers with xenology (which is a pretty big if). Other than that you just RP and have your faxes ignored. And everyone knows most faxes are ignored. There's none of the soft power everyone's favourite CL Burke in that one movie had. If Command Staff doesn't want to bother with the CL, they just don't, and that's it. Because a CL you ignore just writes faxes that go nowhere, and maybe makes some giant sandwiches or tries to bribe a deltard with ultrazine who then grabs the bribe and fucks off planetside never to be seen again.

I don't blame the admins and mods for ignoring the faxes, even. Admins got their own thing going on and mods are scared of pressing the wrong or too many buttons. But that just leaves the CL wandering aimlessly once they tried everything they could. So many CLs just wind up dying planetside because there was nothing left for them on the Almeyer.

So why don't the devs just whitelist CLs and give them some more power? Once the CLs are guaranteed to not be complete shit and go through a process, you can give them actual objectives, or give them something that actually works as a bribe other than useless cash and the admittedly fun if debilitating.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts on the matter. Feel free to insult me below.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CLs don't have any real power because they would immediately use it to self antag. And then marines would immediately valid them.

Also, mods don't really have any buttons to push in the first place.

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    CLs don't have any real power because they would immediately use it to self antag. And then marines would immediately valid them.
    Hence, whitelisting. If you have a strict code like preds or synths, you don't self-antag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it means the CL is absent some rounds because no one whitelisted is playing, I'm fine with that. I'd rather have them less often and actually be able to do something rather than just a joke role we all laugh at in-game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    CLs don't have any real power because they would immediately use it to self antag.
    Hm, maybe OP was trying to tell us something about that.

But seriously, there's no real reason for the CL not being whitelisted and given actual mechanics that influence gameplay other than the fact admemes dont want their precious bald hosts to be bothered by anything that could take them off the path of trying to best the benos on the planet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about if you gave the CL abilities that could both hamper or benefit the marines? It could lead to the Command staff taking risks with the Company and lead to interesting solutions or problems that could arise from it. Would also give other ship positions more to do and validate the CL's existence if the admins are too busy or not available to answer corporate faxes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CL being whitelisted and given actual powers would be very interesting. I like it! What sort of powers/abilities would you expect?

Having them thereby be involved in more events (as predators, COs and synths are) would also be great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to use CL to piss off marines and create near mutinies because marines wanted to kill me but MP's, who finally got something to do, wanted to protect me

that was the only fun thing to do as CL, and this was years ago.

the role is even worse now because barely anyone roleplays on ship, and rounds are shorter, so there is usually no incentive to roleplay in the first place

not surprising that CL has fell to the wayside and become an empty role played by nostalgic roleplayers who hope for something more but always get disappointed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    not surprising that CL has fell to the wayside and become an empty role played by nostalgic roleplayers who hope for something more but always get disappointed
    Shut up, who gave you permission to be this real

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CL doesn't have enough content for a whitelist. The options for a HRP CL are as follows:

Send the exact same faxes every single round
    Talk to research
    Make command sign things

If CL was a role with any definition then maybe, but tbh the fewer the whitelists the better. They may be necessary sometimes, but they just cause unnecessary drama, bloat, and decrease the amount of people who get to experience that part of the game.