User Tag List

Thread: Game Master/Event Manager - Possible New Staff Role Discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game Master/Event Manager - Possible New Staff Role Discussion

NEW STAFF ROLE - Game Master Discussion

I've recently started to brainstorm why events have dropped in frequency and quality ever since the Feweh/Apop era ended (whatever their numerous faults they made a lot of nice rounds/events in my opinion over the years). That got me thinking the problem is we're relying on staff members with already too many other tasks to worry about. Firstly, only the hosts/heads, admins, and developers even have the required power to make events and affect rounds (hosts/heads probably don't play enough and developers are too busy developing new features and/or if they do play they're testing whether something is broken or not).

So that leads us to admins, the most likely staff member to organize and create events. The only problem with this is admins are already dealing with administering a multitude of problems every round, such as yelling at other staff on discord, trying to contain Baldie McBald in Delta prep shooting up everyone, and the influx of issues/ahelps every round. This leads them little time and energy to make a good event and their focus can never solely be on watching the round or what the best ways to add to the round would be.

Therefore, perhaps having a staff role with the same powers as an admin without the responsibilities of an admin would be a great idea. That way their sole focus would be on making events and influencing rounds in positive,creative, and fun ways. I'm thinking that in order to apply for the role you would first need to be a trusted admin of the staff team, that way we're not allowing just anyone the great power to influence the round. Secondly, it might be a good idea to have an indicator somewhere on the status tab of the server when you first join the server, that lets you know an Game Master is active/inactive (that way people can know whether or not there is a game master influencing the round). Furthermore, the person who takes on this role should probably be willing to observe rounds and enjoy making events and be generally competent at it (if they're awful you might have a staff vote to replace/remove them). Also, we probably only want one person with this role but feel free discuss why more than one could work. There's also the issue of other staff members with the appropriate powers who could interfere with the events, but that's why this is a discussion and basic outline and not a manual/rulebook (might want to discuss this part and how it could work).

Let me know what you think of this 'radical' idea of mine and whether or not it could work, why or why not, feedback to make it better, or lastly why you think its too complicated and you'd rather go back to FFing Delta squad.

Update: Apparently Jerkface is an Event Maintainer or whatever that is, I'm just going to assume they're a head of staff and don't have enough time and this role could fall under their authority.

(P.S. if you're thinking why would I listen to some bald Sseth player from 2019 with only like 15 posts, go play where's waldo on the old forum server and find out that I actually existed before 2019 and had 10x the post number)
    Last edited by Trench007; 01-27-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Events and testing should be limited in time frames this is something the event managers could do too.
    3h rounds if I have enough time to play I do not want every day I log to be a event I may dislike/ lag me out/ bug test.
    They are fun sometimes but like not every day evertime. Watch the timezones!

Besides that yes. But the event manager could also for example say:
    "ok person X from staff wants to host he gets my slot. He has the full focus on his event.
    I now replace him in the ahelps"
    This makes it that not only the event manager has the fun and solves the ahelp problem.

But then this all could also be resolved by just makeing a event a pre planned staff known thing.
    When it happens the one controlling it has backup for ahelps and shit and he can focus on event.

Who knows they might even already be doing it like that.
    Just make sure I get my regular game fix atleast once every 3 days! ♥

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been suggested before, I personally thing that it should be a thing.

I'm gonna be straight here, a big chunk of staff are awful at events and I'd rather have a dedicated team doing most of them.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... we do have an event man thought.

Jerkface is Event Maintainer (whatever that's supposed to mean on staff)
    I'll agree on his events being... questionable?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Jerkface's title was quite literally 'Event Manager' and has since been changed to 'Event Maintainer' out of semantics. But the job is already there, although whether it should occupy or perform a different task than how it's currently utilized is another story and something I wouldn't be an authority in.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah it's always awkward when you make a suggestion and it partly already exists, let me tweak this thread to make it still relevant. There we go made the fix, sadly can't fix the title although you could argue Jerkface isn't really an Event Manager because his name is Maintainer instead heh. Anyways, having multiple people under his authority who are good at events could be a solid idea.
    Last edited by Trench007; 01-27-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id make amazing events give

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What scsnv said, this is already a thing and Jerkface00 is the one who does it.