User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactic Roundtable: Dealing with DEFCON 2 TOW/LTB Combo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactic Roundtable: Dealing with DEFCON 2 TOW/LTB Combo

We have a large problem in our midst and I know not how long it will be here. We have seen for the past few days losses after DEFCON 2, I want to bring the discussion forward for future hives. The main question is:

How do we deal with this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It used to be that queen and crusher were the best counters to this, thanks to their immovable object status and explosive resistance. Of course the most obvious answer is rail gun boiler. However there's this really annoying problem affecting xenos at the moment where T3 slots rarely get filled up, and I think with crusher having a few issues and Spitters arguably being weaker than Sentinels (I'll take airburst spit over the questionable DOT acid any day) most of the T3s are preas or ravs. Not ideal for dealing with the tank.

I think if queen/crusher gets push immunity back (https://gitlab.com/cmdevs/ColonialMarines/issues/9336) and we see T1s able to evolve into T3s (https://gitlab.com/cmdevs/ColonialMarines/issues/8937) we'll see a bit more dedicated anti-tank counter play but for now the main strategy seems to be avoidance/delaying.

To that effect, here's what xenos should be doing around the tank IMO:
    -Call out the location and where it's looking
    -Melt all light sources, tank can't see in the dark
    -Use toggle night vision to hide in the shadows
    -Let mariens push past the tank and then kill them, since in most cases the tank can't make it to the hive

And most obviously:
    -Use thick resin to cut off the tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respec in to crushers, take out tank early, take colony.

Defcon is a stalemate breaker so it'd generally supposed to be pretty strong.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah either you dont let it get that far or you start to defend whatever the caves equivalent is on the map you are on. The only way you are winning is through attrition at that point. Flankers need to get picks and the main force needs to hunker down in a place that lends itself to halting marine pushes in chokepoints
    Last edited by FormerXboxGamer; 01-29-2020 at 11:56 PM. Reason: grammar

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start taking captures instead of just killing marines and losing xenos so they can put the corpses in the morgue for defcon points. It's easier than ever to get free captures, but everyone resolves to just kill marines instead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LTB and TOW are DEFCON 2 stuff, and DEFCON is meant to break stalemates, so it's doing its job for all I care.

For how to counter it, have your boiler zoom out from a corner. Is it there? Don't poke your head out then. Bait the marines into the caves or somewhere on a map that the tank can't get into, kill marines, then kill the LTB tank because it can't defend itself unless it wants to lose 30% HP every LTB shot in pointblank range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    runners can attempt to fight it if they're robust enough, circling around it

even if they get hit with the missile that'll do alot of damage at the tank, more than enough as a fair tradeoff adding in any slashes that you did

in addition any nearby marines lessen the chance it'll use the missile (pounce is really good for missile doding) and at the same time might ff the tank with shots trying to hit you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fine with how strong the LTB is, really. Consider how many Fatties you could buy for the same DEFCON point expenditure, or how many OB shells. Not to mention the amount of effort DEFCON 2 represents. It's reasonable to expect the LTB to be able to score kills without having an easy or safe counter. That said, it also leaves the tank pretty vulnerable to getting swarmed at close range and possibly blowing itself up. If the xeno team accepts having to take some losses to kill it, it's not too hard to take down (at least, without adequate support from the rest of the marine force).

Honestly, I feel like the flamer/grenade launcher tank loadout is more of an issue due to immediate availability.
    Last edited by Surimi; 02-08-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its easy to counter, all you have to do is get them to shoot all their ammo then they have nothing left to shoot you with. I suggest using SSethxenos as bait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to beat LTB/TOW? Hide in east LV caves and camp chokes with boilers, gradually capping the entire marine force one by one with direct neuro glob hits or stun into neuro gas.

If marines get defcon 2 on any map besides LV, then aliens deserve to lose.