User Tag List

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Whitelist

Whitelisted Captain/Retired WL Maintainer Snooper44's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really see reasoning behind this. Whitelists are literally the only thing that stop mechanics from being abused. Frankly, I do not see mods enforcing COs and what they do. I have witnessed an XO order the closing of requisitions and ordering all marines still in req line and not at briefing to be arrested at round start . It led to a huge mutiny, he was never punished for it by mods who pretty much ignored it. Another person, they'd purposely play CMP especially at low pop hours to abuse the fuck out of marines. They did this constantly, adding minor words as insults until they received perma, then evacuating them even at delta alert even though they were not a threat. It took i'd say three weeks before a report actually had them jobbanned as mods did nothing regardless of constant AHELPs, and as soon as they were jobbanned they just quit CM13 because they just fucked with people for fun.

I have no confidence that mods will be able to maintain the state of COs if whitelist is removed. BEs themselves are already on a very thin line. A CO can be an absolute asshole and if you dare call him a retard for being a total cunt they have the full authority to execute you on the spot. I have had people who play SO literally curse their squads out and practically mutiny bait on purpose, calling them retards. Do you know how many people would likely mutiny bait? A mod wouldn't act unless they literally say they are purposely mutiny baiting. I've literally even seen XOs rp as literal LRP kawaii girls that like to hang around in the brig and make sexual remarks to male MPs. They were never jobbanned, it took a CO constantly demoting or BEing her. Eventually they vanished.

I do not trust the mods to enforce the standards as for each mod there is a different standard in their vision. I am not trying to put them down but it will become complicated, there will be various reports and likely it'll be a headache and allow a lot of people to skim the line of the rules as a lot of CMPs already do with marine law.

I stand with Patton Moore to be honest. The CO council should be made of ACTIVE COs selected probably by Bancrose to enforce and ensure standards are being maintained. It should not be made up of mods or inactive COs that play once or so every few weeks. This way CO applicants are literally not sitting for weeks waiting for someone who likely hasn't even seen them play XO/SO give them eight paragraph questions to answer to make up for not being able to determine if they are shittler or not ingame by witnessing their command skills. Otherwise just remove the entire council and let Bancrose hold the ultimate decision over who gets in or not and who gets punished.

Commodore Greg Lauffer

Whitelist Maintainer

January 1st 2021 - June 28th 2021

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann handle View Post
    The biggest issue is that it takes weeks due to how inefficient you all are at doing the task of deciding if someone did something wrong and your only response to is to remove oversight rather than finding a cleaner and more effective system.
    Problem is with the previous CO councils they all had to have a meeting and took WEEKS to decide crap which just reading a thread within 10 minutes as a manager I could have decided. I even threatened them multiple times to resolve it, but Emerald kept cucking me.

I was all for just axing councils and having bancrose run things and just having ONE and ONLY ONE ADMIN handle each whitelist on his behalf. But now with timelocks and everyone wanting us to just be a LRP server, I pretty much say fuck the RP standards, and just let staff handle it.

You dont need a whitelist to play CO if you can play XO.

If you know how to play every support role and can RP, be a synth

Pred, just no I will end up getting banned for toxicity if I get into this.
    Last edited by ThesoldierLLJK; 02-12-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    Bruh...

I miss Percieval.

He and one other Synth are the only synths that actually ask me when I am CIC "Hey what you want me to do?"

Most other synths just go silent deploy and do their thing.

Like I don't really care but I am just tired of this facade of whitelist holders supposedly having to follow a guideline yet no one really follows it because everyone knows people applied for the whitelist for its shiny features (BE and same naming for CPT, all support skills and sturdy snowflake body as Synth).
    I used to talk to command every round.

Lately command has put me on

"Approving all of the CLs documents"
    "Help man overwatch so the SO can deploy"
    "Go help the ro run rec"
    "Go find me a decaf cup of coffee"

I know other synth players stopped showing up because they got put on overwatch.. of bravo.. with 3+ cic staff awake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CO whitelist is the only one I still support, and that's because I think at the very least a decent CO is too important to the consistency of a round to let anybody with a few rounds do. An XO is NOT a CO, simply because even if an XO is given command powerN starts acting absurd and violate ML, there'll still be a whitelisted player above them, the CO, to intervene and take control of the OP.

If you're just going to let anybody be CO with the known expectation that they'll lower the quality of the role, what's the benefit for the actual players? Just because Admemes COULD directly police violations from every shitty CO we'll get doesn't mean that's actually, you know, a good idea.

Preds need to be reworked as a separate game mode entirely. They don't work in the standard CM round.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And CABAL you are complaining that some of the staff are judging people based on the story? Fantastic, I do not like some parts of the WL process either. The point is to represent how you will roleplay. You wont use your story, it is just an example of how you will play.

"Try outs" would be better but the council/staff said no.

And are you complaining that in the apps people complain about not knowing people on roles/time played.. when your idea is to eliminate the wl and just go by hours played?

Finally, if you want a synth to RP, RP with them. I have had many great rounds. I literally won a poetry contest as Felix, and was awarded a new room from high command a couple days ago.

I have also had rounds where the only thing anyone has said is that "you look fat" and "robots dont have souls".

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I have come around.. lets remove all whitelists.

Hey while we are at it can we talk about the state of moderators?

It seems silly that we have a list of approved players who are supposed to know the rules but just go through an app process. I mean they abuse their power alot so it must not work.. just look at the number of staff reports!

What we should do is after you have played 200 hours anyone can mod. And if they break the rules just have the other mods handle it right then..

Much easier right? Better system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooper44 View Post
    snip.
    Removing BEs would fix the problem. The current problem is that we cant literally handle whitelist issues and sometimes new moderators dont note COs because its a "whitelist issue" and you just contact the whitelist guy and tell him that the whitelisted guy fucked up.
    If you remove that red tape most LRP like plain stupid LRP COs will get banned.

About the MP. Yes, Marine law is getting reworked because it was abused by MP mains and we moderators cant do shit about it because if we try to fuck with them they would use against the marine laws flaws against us.
    MOST MARINE LAW AHELPS TAKES A LOT OF TIME TO INVESTIGATE. and yeah the person who is doing that is job banned and im 100% sure they wont be getting the role back anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gookamungus View Post
    Removing the whitelist for Captain would be positively god awful. You think it's bad now, but I guarantee you it would be worse without it. Are there problems? Certainly, but removing the whitelist is not only a drastic move, it's counter-intuitive. The story section might be a sham, but there is a reason we vote our candidates in at all.

On the synthetic side, this can be solved mechanically. Simply remove or gimp their ability to deal damage. Make it so that they cannot strike without being struck first.

Predators are trickier because they're an active antagonistic force. Since I don't pay much attention to them I can only advocate that they also be fixed mechanically, with some kind of meta-hunting system where they mark individuals who can either accept or deny hunting status, locking them into a duel.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    If you dewhitelist synth allll you are going to have is Autism Synths and Vulcans. And people who dont know how to play.

Endlessly. Synths who act like arrogant assholes too good to take orders.

Synths who struggle to fix things. Time playing does not equal game skill. Be prepared to have your "synth csnt do surgey" tells responded to with "icc issue, let them learn".
    ----
    The fact of the matter is that anyone CAN be synth if they want to.. they just have to fill out a not difficult app, and write a story. There isnt even a time limit.

You are basically saying that we dont need whitelists anymore because people don't want to bother spending an hour or so to fill something out?

Also if you are bitching about synth combat now... just wait until the role is dewhitelisted. Half of you in here count synth combat as just standing in the way.

P.S. Its dumb to simultaneously say that rp doesnt really matter but synths cant be on the frontline cause "synths are supposed to be passive helpers!"

PPS. Read some of the rejected apps for people who THOUGHT they were good enough to play synth by their own standards. All of those people will be playing synth now.

Not really. If you've invested a ton of playtime hours as an XO(Assume that COs are 50-100+ hours timelocked in playing command) No one in their right mind would throw off that role since they actually bothered playing it to get the role instead of making a story for 2-3 hours and we still have bald shit orders because they dont even play that much and only had a good story.

Same for the synths. What if synths were timelocked to make you play support roles? and no only asking how good you are in them?
    Imagine if synths were timelocked for playing 30hrs as a doctor,CT,MP, and any support roles. Do you think you'd still get a greytider synth after that? Do you think they would actually throw their role after they grinded a lot?

Stories are easy to make. But grinding gives a sense of accomplishment. Imagine playing heavy timelocked roles just to lose them because of LRP.

Actually I have come around.. lets remove all whitelists.

Hey while we are at it can we talk about the state of moderators?

It seems silly that we have a list of approved players who are supposed to know the rules but just go through an app process. I mean they abuse their power alot so it must not work.. just look at the number of staff reports!

What we should do is after you have played 200 hours anyone can mod. And if they break the rules just have the other mods handle it right then..

Much easier right? Better system.
    Every moderator/admin can literally see you abusing your powers because we can turn on logs on each other.
    If a moderator aghosted for some god damn reason most of people jump to their location and see what they are doing.
    If a moderator ahealed someone we get logs of those too. And he better have a reason on why he used aheal.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snip
    What a mod above said.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If timelocks ever become a thing for whitelisted roles can whitelisted players be exempt from them?

I don't want to grind 100 hours for CPT despite never losing the CPT whitelist and being active on it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    If timelocks ever become a thing for whitelisted roles can whitelisted players be exempt from them?

I don't want to grind 100 hours for CPT despite never losing the CPT whitelist and being active on it.
    In the past I said anyone who had a CO whitelist if they ever decide to do something like this should get the Commodore title.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids