User Tag List

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Whitelist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white-listing system only works if those in-charge of it are active and can verify those applying to positions.
    Putting a democratic vote on this system or a "council" generally leads to a strong majority of the council being inactive, unqualified or simply holding up the process creating delays.

However, if you're going to have a council you need to have a monthly vote to replace council members or it'll become stagnant with council members becoming complacent.

Speaking from experience it was extremely tedious to maintain the white-list let alone approve new people onto them. I constantly remember people voting people in just because they had a good RP story or were well-known in the community.
    Take XUR for example, he was a super well-known player at the time and his white-listing applications were so awful yet every player and staff member would +1 him in. It took just myself to look over his effort, roleplay in-game and behavior to deny the application. However this was only possible due to my position and ability to over-watch as a staff member, something most players/council members wouldn't have access to.

I'd simply make a Whitelist Master position, make it a monthly position that is voting in and ensure the person monitoring white-listing is active.
    Having multiple people approve anything creates a slow, democratic drag of bullshit.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have XOs that usually take command of a Op while the CO goes and does the following; be PFC+++ and die, lead the men and then die, takes a rest in the alien hive and then die, or gets bucked and dies from heartbreak. OR gets sucked into some event or some deltard uprising.

We have cyborgs in other servers follow the rules better then these synths and those borgs don’t try to go all Rambo on murderbone McGee unlike these synths with queens or other aliens.

Predators bad

Break the chains on public access to whitelist roles.

Break the chains!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    The white-listing system only works if those in-charge of it are active and can verify those applying to positions.
    Putting a democratic vote on this system or a "council" generally leads to a strong majority of the council being inactive, unqualified or simply holding up the process creating delays.

However, if you're going to have a council you need to have a monthly vote to replace council members or it'll become stagnant with council members becoming complacent.

Speaking from experience it was extremely tedious to maintain the white-list let alone approve new people onto them. I constantly remember people voting people in just because they had a good RP story or were well-known in the community.
    Take XUR for example, he was a super well-known player at the time and his white-listing applications were so awful yet every player and staff member would +1 him in. It took just myself to look over his effort, roleplay in-game and behavior to deny the application. However this was only possible due to my position and ability to over-watch as a staff member, something most players/council members wouldn't have access to.

I'd simply make a Whitelist Master position, make it a monthly position that is voting in and ensure the person monitoring white-listing is active.
    Having multiple people approve anything creates a slow, democratic drag of bullshit.
    This man did nothing wrong

What he speaks is the truth
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This, but do this for all staff on a yearly basis or something. /tg/station does their head staffing in a way somewhat like this.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point of killing the whitelists is so we do not even have to worry about a whitelist master or anything like that and instead kick rule breaks to moderators. As said, the roles whitelisted beside predator are not so revolutionary that no one can RP them. The whole point you guys had it previously was the lack of time locks, we have them now why not abuse them. At least for CO, maybe for synth, maybe even something crazy for predators.

If there is a whitelist master would just be as prone to council members to clics and such, no one is immune to it so why bother with a system hoping the guy in charge is truly benevolent when we can just throw it out for a whole new way.

Come on at least CO, it does literally nothing special from XO and with queen getting banished, an even MORE powerful mateba where you can execute players for shit and giggles from anywhere, I mean... Come on queen is literally 9 hours of xeno game time and it is literally the most important role in the game that easily determine the entire flow of the game and yet a weaker role like CO which is basically the same as XO is hidden behind a whitelist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timelocks are not a solution for RP Positions.
    People do not become quality role-players just because they put in more hours than others. Yes, they can improve and get better... but it doesn't mean they're going to fit the role better or be qualified.
    A whitelist system works, if it's probably monitored by competent people.

As well, having a democratic vote to replace staff members is not logical and would lead to many problems. Having the playerbase vote developers, admins or mods out is extremely silly as you'd ruin cohesion on the team.
    There's this weird thing with the SS13 community where the playerbase seems far more entitled to "voting" and "rights" for something they've never paid for. You'd never have anyone who purchased a 60$ game suggest on a forum for the staff team to be voted in and out by the community.

My point being is that if you remove whitelisting you are opening yourself and the playerbase up for significantly lowered RP standards.
    You're always removing a community goal for players to work towards being better roleplayers then applying to these positions.
    Last edited by Fewher; 02-18-2020 at 04:01 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cringe thread.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imheretohelp View Post
    Cringe thread.
    I agree, what the fuck was the guy who made it thinking?

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bancrose View Post
    If it was my choice, they woulda lost their whitelists but I wasn't able to. The context there is what is key, the difference being that one banned shotguns which got reverted in round and the other griefing someone with admin powers who couldn't be punished in that round.
    I didnt lose pred whitelist for griefing someone with admin powers, it probably helps to get the facts straight.

I never earned pred whitelist it was given to me, hence it's not really relevant to how the whitelist system works or not.

If you want to bring up 18 month old events because you can't actually rebut the points I bring up I think that says more about you than it does about me.
    Last edited by spookydonut; 02-18-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timelocks are not a solution for RP Positions.
    People do not become quality role-players just because they put in more hours than others. Yes, they can improve and get better... but it doesn't mean they're going to fit the role better or be qualified.

My point being is that if you remove whitelisting you are opening yourself and the playerbase up for significantly lowered RP standards.
    You're always removing a community goal for players to work towards being better roleplayers then applying to these positions.
    Since you came back the majority of this community doesn’t care about roleplaying, lore, or any of it. Our devs also have turned this into a TDM game.

It’s basically a 2D Natural Selection

People bitch about us bwoinking them because they said “EPIC GAMER MOMENTS BRUG”
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids