Thread: State of the Whitelist

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Problem is not that, its more so
    Hey guys here are all these powerful tools you can use, WAIT YOU DID WHAT I DONT CARE IF YOURE TRYING TO PLAY THE GAME REMOVE HE!
    As the person who caused the last 2 announcements to stop doing things, I know this all too well. :^)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Predators should be glass cannons and a side antagonist with no restrictions unless its a doctor or medic that can be enabled for long rounds
    COs and Synths dont need a stinking whitelist cause of timelocks

change my mind.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    I like this idea personally, though I think having the WL shouldn't get you bonus privileges over what it used to give, since frankly there's plenty of people on this whitelist currently that I would rather not see getting more things to abuse.

Also, as for the "speshul pred concept", nobody's asking you to be unique. Look at Audi's app, his pred is as generic as they come, he just had a good app. All they want is a good app and someone who they can tell isn't gonna grief.
    I guess i'm reacting to the way the culture felt a few years ago when I was remotely interested in making an app. Seemed like there was so much pressure to have the "thing that makes your pred stand out", maybe it has lightened up since then, but that's only more reason to extend the branch a bit and have a sort of trial-version of pred gameplay that normal players can roll for every time there's a pred round.

I think the right balance between whitelists is inclusion and necessity. Do we absolutely need to make sure that a person can bother to write up a character story before they're allowed to play CO? On the other hand, would it really be reasonable to allow any old player to roll for full pred powers and gear simply because they played a few certain roles for 9 hours each?

I don't think whitelists will go but I think if things have lightened when it comes to pred application story/gimmick/e-peen issues then that's a step in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like right now we do almost exclusively get COs that are legitimately interested in making the match interesting, and I don't think that would continue if you just made it a timelock. Having to actually do a bit of legwork to prove you're willing to put the effort into roleplaying is pretty important. I mean, if I'm starting a DnD game and I'm have a bunch of players I could DM for, I would certainly want them to present me with a detailed background just to make sure they're actually invested in roleplaying and not just basically running around being murderhobos.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Predators should be glass cannons and a side antagonist with no restrictions unless its a doctor or medic that can be enabled for long rounds
    COs and Synths dont need a stinking whitelist cause of timelocks

change my mind.
    I think if you didnt timelock synths.. you would have a lot of synth issues.

Xenos already bitch constantly about combat synthing.. if anyone could pick up the slot you are going to have synths fist fighting people; refusing orders.

We also have access to everything and all places.. its a dangerous role to troll on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    I think if you didnt timelock synths.. you would have a lot of synth issues.

Xenos already bitch constantly about combat synthing.. if anyone could pick up the slot you are going to have synths fist fighting people; refusing orders.

We also have access to everything and all places.. its a dangerous role to troll on.
    Wow fucking robot didnt follow synth guidelines or is not acting like a damn robot? Ahelp.
    If you've played in other servers as AI if you start breaking robot laws you're gonna get bwoinked.

And i do believe that our moderators are not stupid enough that they can actually enforce whitelist rules if given the power.

EDIT: I also think that marine law is harder to follow than the synth guidelines and predator guidelines.
    Last edited by Sakuyoi; 02-09-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like the MPs, synthetics and COs are held up to a (significantly) higher standard when it comes to gameplay and roleplay. We staff are fully expected to have at least a middling understanding of ML, and regularly deal with ahelps regarding ML breaches. Like Sakuyoi said, CO and Synth guidelines are significantly easier to follow and understand than the Marine Law.

And, much like Soldier hinted, if timelocks weren't a thing then the whitelists most definitely have a purpose - why blacklist 900 out of 1000 players from playing such significant roles when we can just whitelist the remaining 100 for whom we have assurance they'll play the roles as intended and won't cause issues?

But, now that timelocks have been implemented, this changes everything up dramatically. Random nobodies still wouldn't be able to join in as either and waste the slot by going SSD/griefing/doing absolutely nothing because of the significant timelock requirements. And as for the ones that have actually grinded through the timelocks, it will be much, much more easier and viable to enforce role-specific rules and blacklist the screw-ups as we would be dealing with a fraction of the game's playerbase here. Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh might as well timelock all the whitelists, 40 hr XO for CO, 200 gameplay time for pred, and 20 hr all support roles for synth. Reports will go down as whitelist issues are now just issues and world peace will be achieved.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot justify any whitelist, while MP does fine without whitelist.

Change my mind.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    You cannot justify any whitelist, while MP does fine without whitelist.

Change my mind.
    Just the massive irony of you posting this is hilarious.