Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: State of the Whitelist

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitzubishi View Post
    Gotta keep that KDR up bro, or else all the real gamer Delta PFCs will laugh at you
    Indeed that most likely is the case. We all know that atleast 20 minutes from the moment of your death to the moment where you leave medbay is sure nothing to compare as slighty worse KDR. If I won't have it 666:1, I will have a stroke.

Stopping anywhere to chat that isn't fully caded FoB provides great risk of severe injury (Full HP PFC with helmet can get broken skull from one Lurker Slash), or death. Around many marines it isn't that bad, but Gas, Screech and Charge exist.
    Macro speech is the alternative and I have been using it like since I first learned that SS13 has macros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post isn't about preds and synths because their impact on rounds is much smaller than that of the CO so I don't have nearly as much to say.
    TLDR: The CO doesn't need the BE to send your squad into their grave.

Because this thread is all over the place, this post will also be all over the place. I just want to say, since roleplay came up a lot in this whole discussion - I like roleplay and I wouldn't mind if CM had more of it. The main drive I feel to sometimes indulge in 'lower' roleplay as a private is because your whole squad is doing it and it is hard to shake the 'muh culture, muh tribe' feeling and make yourself that one serious loner when you could instead build some camraderie. That said, while I do actually like roleplay, I like playing the game more. I play a lot of marine, which is why I have little to say on Queens.

Before my hiatus I played a lot of XO and it helped me realise just how inept some COs are. This is not necessarily an arguement for timelocks, some XOs/COs repeat mistakes time and time again, some COs don't even consider them mistakes. But, at least for me, this bleeds down into when I'm playing a private and I just realise when the CO is basically telling my squad to suicide. If there is one thing that irks me, it is COs that do not seem to care about marine lives when making decisions. To illustrate this, I will list the 3 tiers of COs I have seen playing this game:

The Useful - Some COs actually know what they are doing, they give the squads all the information they need to make informed decisions, which actually gives the marines on the ground more meaningful choices and keeps them from dying as easily to something out of their control. They coordinate, they give room. In my book, a good CO ensures the marines have a head, rather than them stumbling blindly in the dark, getting surrounded and butchered. A legendery CO also makes the round thematic and memorable, of course, but, to me, that feels less important. Maybe it's because I'm not as burned out with the game, maybe because I hold some mistaken value to my own agency. A bad CO can certainly ruin your round as SL or SO, but a good CO can truly enhance it as well, by making it feel like you yourself can influence the way your squad goes, because you actually know what is going on.

The Forgettable - Some COs don't really contribute much of anything to the round. They're just there. Maybe they spend the entire round talking to MPs or CLs and I just don't notice. Maybe they just sit back and stare at a screen watching how the marines move around without much input except announcing the queen's location when everybody yells it in the command channel. Maybe they just cryo because a XO is doing everything that needs to be done and they feel genuinely useless. Arguably in this category are also the type that might forget that holding the Yard on prison without holding the Canteen is literally just putting your forces at risk of an encirclement. If the Xenos aren't entirely braindead they'll try another avenue of attack at some point, after all. Then again, if anyone in the chain of command realises this error, they can correct it themselves, which just further sidelines this flavour of CO. This is the type that is not dangerous and not useful, because someone else can and will do their job for them.

The Dangerous - Now, I don't say I see this often, but I see it and it stings and etches itself into my memory. Some COs like to have truly experimental plans that are entirely detached from reality. Just send an entire squad to LZ2 alone on Ice, so they can... get intell and... link up with the other squads. Just flank the xenoes with only a fireteam, even though it's not a flank unless they can actually cut them off, which they can't, since they're only a fireteam. Maybe refuse to accept retreat untill every marine that set foot on the planet has found an early grave. These are the kinds that make me consider writing a CO app sooner rather than later. These are the kinds that make me regret picking SO if they, for example, announce, "All squads, rush Lambda!" even though the numerical differences make it seem like that just might spectacularly fail, especially if there is noone holding the FOB and ensuring they at least have somewhere to flee... Although, this can often be explained through RP. Maybe the CO was really gunning for a promotion and thought their genius push would get them a nice medal. Maybe the CO's theme is that the Falling Falcons are a penal battalion whose lives exist only to be traded for meaningless patches of dirt. Maybe the CO forcing every single marine player that went planetside to sit in deadchat due to circumstances outside of the control of said players is entirely justified in the RP.

All in all, I am not sure if there ever will be or even should be a system that ensures some kind of quality control beyond RP, but a CO being bad at leadership has negatively impacted my rounds more numerously and more heavily than a CO being bad at RP.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure the Pred whitelist is getting reworked. I saw a denied app told to reapply at april 1st with the rework eithey way preds are generaly the weird kids of the CM community.
    Some can fight while others are just there to pray they can HRP for more then 2 minutes

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerboi69 View Post
    Pretty sure the Pred whitelist is getting reworked. I saw a denied app told to reapply at april 1st with the rework eithey way preds are generaly the weird kids of the CM community.
    Some can fight while others are just there to pray they can HRP for more then 2 minutes
    It's not the whitelist itself that's getting reworked, but the role of the predators, their background and their honor code, as well as the questions on the application form.
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shitposts in Acid Goop please, come on man read the forum rules.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    I don't think people expect roleplay while fighting xenos and stuff, but moreso shipside roles where you have a CO naked, wearing a paperhat, and spewing memes and shitposting with the tablet.
    CO whitelist in particular is redundant in my opinion, because the above quote never happened before the WL was added, staff still had the power to ban/jobban any shitter COs, the situation now would be even better without the whitelist because of the time lock system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all know that the only Whitelist that matters is monke whitelist. The others don't even exist.
    Rain 'Hail' Atkinson (Human Roles): Slayer of Xenos and babysitter of PFCs
    Medals
    Spoiler Spoiler:

NV-XXX-C6 (Xeno Roles): CRUSHER GANG CRUSHER GANG
    Whitelisted Monkey Damn You Boomermin, the Monkeys will rise again
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentor - 6/5/2020

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id be okay making a soft whitelist for ert leadership positions, just a " do you know what the lore of these factions are, their goals, and how to lead a squad"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    timelocks gone, things simmer down, whitelistman good
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    timelocks gone, things simmer down, whitelistman good
    Yay, Boomermin has once again saved the day.
    Rain 'Hail' Atkinson (Human Roles): Slayer of Xenos and babysitter of PFCs
    Medals
    Spoiler Spoiler:

NV-XXX-C6 (Xeno Roles): CRUSHER GANG CRUSHER GANG
    Whitelisted Monkey Damn You Boomermin, the Monkeys will rise again
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentor - 6/5/2020