User Tag List

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Whitelist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my 5 cents on whitelisted roles

preds: a nuisance at best, incredibly fucking annoying at worst. preds don't really contribute to anything except for their personal enjoyment. I really doubt that preds can ever be made more fun to anyone who's not a pred.

synths: literally assistants but kitted in the strongest armor known to man. synths who realize that they are, in fact, an assistant, will attempt to compensate for this miserable existence by hitting up the frontlines with a fire axe. some also like to build cades and be a bullet sponge for marines who are actually trying to shoot other marines xenos. I personally hate combat synths with a burning passion and legitimately wish that combat synthing was a permanent whitelist removal and a >1 week ban. nothing in this game pisses me off more than seeing synths on the frontline. nothing.

CO: honestly just a fancy XO with slightly more responsibilities. the whitelist just makes the character variety smaller, though it's kinda cool how certain COs get their own rep. there's not much room for making COs unique and distinct from XOs without effectively punishing marines for not having a CO. it's kind of whatever to me, i can live with or without COs.

my 5 cents on whitelists in general

as a dev: I personally have very little interest in developing whitelisted content. I don't want to develop content that's not available for everyone to play with.

as a player: I think whitelists gate content behind writing stupid short stories seemingly just to pad the app, while offloading actually role relevant questions to random people replying to the app.
    Last edited by Atebite; 02-12-2020 at 01:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahKirchner View Post
    ENFORCING good RP is cringe and doesn't work. There are ways to make MRP fun but enforcing strict RP guidelines just decreases the quality of genuine RP. CM is a videogame, RP should be fun not a punishment. If you want players to be MRP the server has to reflect that, you can't run lrp events constantly and have only surface level lore and expect players to put effort into flushing out their characters.
    MRP is only fun if you think it's fun. You can't force someone to think MRP is fun. I can't imagine what you mean when you say there are ways to make it fun. And you're right, if you want players to be MRP, the server has to reflect that and that means the server has to have a standard for what is MRP in both events and in the interactions between players. I think what you mean to argue is that MRP should be optional for players, and that's a fair thing to argue, but you can't demand staff handle events with a tone of MRP and then everyone else can just choose whether or not they want to be MRP or LRP. Think of it like this, imagine that HRP, MRP, and LRP are measured by the effort put into the interactions between players. If we have a conversation and you put in average effort and I put in low effort, is that going to be enjoyable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    MRP is only fun if you think it's fun. You can't force someone to think MRP is fun. I can't imagine what you mean when you say there are ways to make it fun. And you're right, if you want players to be MRP, the server has to reflect that and that means the server has to have a standard for what is MRP in both events and in the interactions between players. I think what you mean to argue is that MRP should be optional for players, and that's a fair thing to argue, but you can't demand staff handle events with a tone of MRP and then everyone else can just choose whether or not they want to be MRP or LRP. Think of it like this, imagine that HRP, MRP, and LRP are measured by the effort put into the interactions between players. If we have a conversation and you put in average effort and I put in low effort, is that going to be enjoyable?
    I think that the majority of the server is open to MRP, look at the Vietnam event or what happens during OSHA events (or even the president event). People are willing to roleplay, I'd argue that a majority of the marines right now ARE MRP. Look at the opening of aliens and a ton of similarities can be drawn between their fucking around and the Almayer. My point here is that marine roles on the ship have no reason, incentive or purpose to their roleplay. They just exist.

MRP is, in a sense, optional - with the alternative being just being silent. Marines do that all the time and it doesn't break immersion for other players because they just blend into the background setting. It's important for the roles that drive RP to be MRP, though - SL, CO, Synth (in a perfect world), MPs, Survivors, so on and so forth.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is strange...you're not all shitposting or arguing.

We'll probably rediscuss the whitelist process here in a bit, but there are cons to timelocks.

Cause if someone like lets say someone who really hated CO's or never roleplayed, just simply has to play and they'll unlock it. And the more easily accessible means its easier to grief or fuck the round with.

I disagree with forcing CO's to roleplay at the Admins direction because forcing roleplay makes the roleplay inherently worse than if the player was free and didn't feel a noose at his neck.

However some of your points are valid and can be discussed at a council meeting.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swumprat View Post
    Right so this is mostly shit posts but I kinda want to throw in my two cents. So here goes.

Commanding Officer: Here we are, the CO. Gotta say a good number of these are forgettable and really don't add much. Greg Laufer, Windhealer (RIP lost whitelist) and Dinkle are kinda the only three I remember off the top of my head. Greg cause I love his speeches and memorial ceremonies, Windhealer cause well, it's wind healer, and Dinkle has a whole event chain going right now. The rest of the CO's all kinda blend together, either they are an armchair general and never leave the ship or try to lead from the front and get killed. Some add some cool RP but other are kinda annoying. Like when I'm an SO and they go over my shoulder to look at the overwatch console instead of asking for a status update (this kicks you out of the squad cam BTW), directly communicating with the squad, sending supply drops on YOUR console or even doing the same with an OB. Makes you feel useless and redundant. I kinda like to play SO from time to time and would like it more if I wasn't always skipped over cause "you were too slow" when I was busy with something else. So yeah, CO's need to up their game and stay out of the SO's console when they are using it.

TLDR: CO'S ARE FORGETTABLE AND NEED TO STOP SKIPPING OVER THEIR SO'S

So yeah, that's that. I bet not a soul cares about any of this.
    ay I still got my WL

But yeah I agree I think alot of CO's do blend together, mainly because they play it too safe and don't try and go outside whats expected of them. Im not saying every CO needs to be going full unga mode or have paragraphs worth or RP, but just simple things like communicating and chatting with marines outside of briefing, trying tactics that aren't just the expected meta of "rush hydro/lambda/crashed ship". Be less focused on getting a victory and more focused on giving the marines an engaging and enjoyable round, which in turn will lead to them respecting you more and actually listening to your orders, which is the best way to increase your chances of winning anyway.

Also if any CO players would be interested in helping me write a little command treatise guide thingy, 'the art of unga' pls hmu. I think we could share some good wisdom for newer CO players or aspiring XO's and show that theirs more than one way to salt a xeno main. Especially if you have some strats for Sorokyne or Corsat as I've barely played those.
    Last edited by Dreven; 02-12-2020 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bancrose View Post
    This is strange...you're not all shitposting or arguing.

Cause if someone like lets say someone who really hated CO's or never roleplayed, just simply has to play and they'll unlock it. And the more easily accessible means its easier to grief or fuck the round with.
    I disagree with forcing CO's to roleplay at the Admins direction because forcing roleplay makes the roleplay inherently worse than if the player was free and didn't feel a noose at his neck.
    And they'll get yeeted on by staff in a moment.
    Look I was never for this has to be high standards of Baystation type RP where you get bwoinked for not wearing your proper hat. But the CO's acting like its fortnite is just annoying at times, if you want to be a memer play a fucking PFC, not a fucking CO
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since everyone's posting their opinions, I'll post mine.

Whitelists are absolutely unecessary. One might think that locking a role such as CO or synth behind a whitelist would be needed to keep the role's RP, but the truth is that it's just an excuse to not have to add extra features to these roles. If COs and synths were given more stuff to do and manage, coupled with timelocks, players would get immersed in their roles and not just use their WL to meme around with their privileges. All this babysitting is useless.

I haven't mentioned predators in the last paragraph, and that's because I not only wish them to be dewhitelisted, but also removed. I can't see any possible improvement for predators that would make rounds with them any fun, and that's because they weren't even intended to be around. In a game where teams of 50+ people each fight, how can there be room for 1/2 guys with superpowers hunting people? They fuck up balance and overall enjoyment of the playerbase.

All in all, I strongly believe whitelists are one of the few remainders of past CM direction that need to be removed so the game can become more enjoyable for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    ay I still got my WL
    Sorry heard you lost it. Was told you had done too much LRP or something.
    Hi I like crayons.
    My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Predator is really only enjoyable for people who are new to the game. People that have never interacted with a predator will find enjoyment over people that have been here for years. Now it's mostly veteran players that will go out of their way to stomp on predators because they know how to. I'd also like to add that the constant forcing of pred rounds has made more players hating them. When you get a predator round every round for multiple rounds in a row all it does is make people hate them more and ends up with more predators doing dumb shit.
    Last edited by Lumdor; 02-12-2020 at 03:28 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swumprat View Post
    Sorry heard you lost it. Was told you had done too much LRP or something.
    oh yeah I did, only for a month tho I thought it was perm too lol