User Tag List

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Whitelist

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a veteran Predator and to a lesser extent, synth, I tend to play in bursts of constant activity and then take a break for a couple months at a time.

Everytime I look into the whitelist chats or whitelist announcements, I see examples of behavior that never would have passed two years ago. It's like all whitelisted players have lost their standards and greytide like everyone else.

Earlier in CM's history, it was aspiring to be a MRP server, that is, providing a realistic and immersive atmosphere to allow for the people who want to roleplay to roleplay, while having a easy low-bar for anyone who doesn't care as much to just play the game. You only need a normal looking name, to keep OOC out of IC, and not metagame, and you were good to go. Especially if you were a nameless xenomorph.

Whitelists were established for powerful roles like Predator so that only trusted community members could use them and exude higher roleplaying standards than the rest of the server. All predators would act like actual predators from AVP lore, adhere to their honor code, and as trusted community members, try not to upset the balance of the round, but instead enhancing it by interacting with the two factions whenever the combat came to a lull.

The Predators were never designed to be a third faction with it's own win conditions. They were supposed to be Antagonists in the traditional SS13 sense. They don't exist to provide enjoyment for themselves, rather they're there so they can interact with other players and enhance their rounds. Marines would feel the thrill of being hunted or the reward of being rid of the shadowy predator, while xenos could feel the same thrill and satisfaction with the added bonus of being able to create the rare predalien if they were skilled enough.

However, nowadays I hear of predators acting like clowns, griefing the factions instead of behaving like a yautja should. This happened in the past too, but any instances where a predator was acting strangely would be harshly punished, and the whitelist as a whole always seemed to have a lingering atmosphere of "Don't fuck up or you're gone."

Staff should really be less lenient of whitelisted players not taking their role seriously, especially predators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    preds rn are actually a joke with almost no rp value and it's tragic

i remember the good ol days

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lmwevil View Post
    preds rn are actually a joke with almost no rp value and it's tragic

i remember the good ol days
    What good old days? We got whitelisted at the same time. :^)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know that was the first flaw

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait how is it fun to get targeted by some invis guy who kills you in a heartbeat, chops off your head, and send you to dchat land for the next two hours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if there's rp and shit you can do fun stuff with it, imagine that, actually having some cool rp with a predator with op gear with little reason to fear you unless you're pierce jackson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of preds is epic, I've had lots of fun with them before and they make for tense battles, but with the amount of time CM rounds go on for, the idea of a pred being this insurmountable monster that kills you makes fighting them feel kinda stupid since unless you cheese the shit out of them you're almost guaranteed to die.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niick View Post
    As a veteran Predator and to a lesser extent, synth, I tend to play in bursts of constant activity and then take a break for a couple months at a time.

Everytime I look into the whitelist chats or whitelist announcements, I see examples of behavior that never would have passed two years ago. It's like all whitelisted players have lost their standards and greytide like everyone else.

Earlier in CM's history, it was aspiring to be a MRP server, that is, providing a realistic and immersive atmosphere to allow for the people who want to roleplay to roleplay, while having a easy low-bar for anyone who doesn't care as much to just play the game. You only need a normal looking name, to keep OOC out of IC, and not metagame, and you were good to go. Especially if you were a nameless xenomorph.

Whitelists were established for powerful roles like Predator so that only trusted community members could use them and exude higher roleplaying standards than the rest of the server. All predators would act like actual predators from AVP lore, adhere to their honor code, and as trusted community members, try not to upset the balance of the round, but instead enhancing it by interacting with the two factions whenever the combat came to a lull.

The Predators were never designed to be a third faction with it's own win conditions. They were supposed to be Antagonists in the traditional SS13 sense. They don't exist to provide enjoyment for themselves, rather they're there so they can interact with other players and enhance their rounds. Marines would feel the thrill of being hunted or the reward of being rid of the shadowy predator, while xenos could feel the same thrill and satisfaction with the added bonus of being able to create the rare predalien if they were skilled enough.

However, nowadays I hear of predators acting like clowns, griefing the factions instead of behaving like a yautja should. This happened in the past too, but any instances where a predator was acting strangely would be harshly punished, and the whitelist as a whole always seemed to have a lingering atmosphere of "Don't fuck up or you're gone."

Staff should really be less lenient of whitelisted players not taking their role seriously, especially predators.
    I remember Moore, Balto putting in effort in 2017-2018 at one point and now it's like they don't even care about the role as CO

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niick View Post

This is funny, because it reeks of rose tinted glasses.

Predators were worse before. You can cherry pick and look at the 'incidents now' -- but remember, when people got punished before, hidden rulings were made, it wasn't shown to anyone. Did someone do some stupid clown RP? Announcement made in whitelist announcements. Before? You wouldn't even know. Predators used to HPC, spike launcher, or otherwise fuck people over like no tomorrow. They were as LRP as now, just it was more opaque. Predators driving tanks, preds running around in rubber duckys, predators "ROLEPLAYING AS THEY WOULD IN AVP LORE" by uncloaking in front of a squad, HPCing them for hunting them, and then scythe decapping as many as they could, before SDing as soon as possible.

Also, faking out SDs. Remember that? Of course you'd probably ignore this in favour of retaining nostalgia, but almost every predator faked their SD. The most active predator player, Balto, at the time did not speak properly as a predator. He spoke like a pirate. He responded to his reports like a pirate.

TL;DR, old preds griefed harder, did the same amount of LRP, and you're a fucking super-clown if you want to think otherwise.
    Last edited by Banned User ID63; 02-12-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot take

We need MORE White-list roles alongside new roles in general.

Add features don't strip.

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates