Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Whitelist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDexFiles View Post
    Hot take

We need MORE White-list roles alongside new roles in general.

Add features don't strip.
    why more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine grinding 100 hours as XO to get CO then do dumb LRP bullshit once you get the role.
    No you aint getting that role back.
    Imagine spending lots of time mastering every support role to get synth then not acting like a robot
    Just job ban the synth for not acting like a robot.

I guess some people are willing to throw off their 100 hour forced timelocks rather than writing a story for 3 hours :clown:

Moderators are not dumb. We can handle whitelists just fine. Who do you think even gives logs whenever someone does a whitelist infraction?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for once like Preds. The only shining light during mundane and boring Beno round is a Pred. Fighting preds "honorably" is fun as marine.
    For once, it is easier to defeat "Honorable" Predator than Ancient Runner! You get juicy prizes for defeating (not always killing) predator, while you get short of nothing, or severe damage from killing Runners (which are currently unstoppable by anything short of buckshot [i can only imagine why benos still complain about the only weapon available to PFC that can stop ancient runner meme and I have to scratch my head why buckshot/slug was nerfed]).

When I started to play the server, I actually hated Predators and I was very vocal about it on the old forum. It was pure hate. But in time, I stopped being baldie and when benos started to be not only OP (for the 70-30), but also incredebly boring, I started to like preds.
    Many mostly fun memories with them. That one time we were fighting alone, but then group of benos decided to dunk as both, so we then stopped killing eachother and started fighting shoulder to shoulder, Slug Shotgun to Claws, defending ourself from the horde and trying to escape, shaking if one was stunned.

The first individual Pred kill with slug shotgun, that was nice. Much more fun that killing Queen. With Pred you had feeling you did it thanks to skill, with Queen you can only feel luck that it missed it's neuro, or had Screech on cooldown. And even Killing Queen gives you jack shit. Next will arrive in 10 minutes with Screech and neuro of the same power as Ancient Empress had.

Preds should get the role not of simple antags, but "Balancers". One side is doing too good? Time to intervine a bit. Siege of FoB before 13:00 while about half of the marines died, or are seriously wounded? Time to step up and hunt T3's, T2's, several T1's, or maybe just Queen.
    It's way better to fight predators when the other side doesn't want to fuck you up to. Especially true to Marines who are unable to outrun combat castes and all combat castes can outrun marines. Their new role would enforce it a bit more.
    Here, you can even explain it in "Lore". Side winning is a side that is more worthy of hunt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahKirchner View Post
    why more?
    So that I can have more tags on the discord.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    ay I still got my WL

But yeah I agree I think alot of CO's do blend together, mainly because they play it too safe and don't try and go outside whats expected of them. Im not saying every CO needs to be going full unga mode or have paragraphs worth or RP, but just simple things like communicating and chatting with marines outside of briefing, trying tactics that aren't just the expected meta of "rush hydro/lambda/crashed ship". Be less focused on getting a victory and more focused on giving the marines an engaging and enjoyable round, which in turn will lead to them respecting you more and actually listening to your orders, which is the best way to increase your chances of winning anyway.
    Well I found that you can be easily branded as secret xeno if you play not to win and break meta. Even selecting "wrong" LZ is a transgression for some Sl's and PFC's and SO's. On top of that most maps just do not support any remotely interesting strategy. But that's just my take on the situation.

I'm not seeing how allowing everyone to play CO, synth or pred will be beneficial for "MRP". It's a slippery slope and I explain why. When you as PFC see some LRP announcements from the CO you have don't see that he was bwoinked and talked to by staff, you think oh well it's allowed. So next round you roll CO and start making lrp shit too and maybe staff who bwoinked previous CO is not online and currently online staff just does not care. So you keep doing LRP and other people see it and they catch up with trend. Slippery slope.
    Now I'm not saint and I do my share of LRP (and probably I suck at RP, I don't know), but hey it's just the state of the server at the moment. Even today most SO's and XO's are trying to replicate certain someone (and they fail at it). Now imagine the tide of new CO's, Pred's and synths. Sure, they will/may be banned, but if you're not siting at discord 24/7 you will probably just see LRP/greif/shenanigans/memes and not the consequences.

I think predators need more freedom, and maybe some goals other then spam laughter. But in my early days of CM I liked pred encounters, it was fun to hunt predators or be hunted by them. It's when they are being friendly-friendly with marines I cringe and ignore them.

Anyhow, if staff really want to deal with more LRP, greif, memes and shenanigans they should remove WL. And CM shall truly ascend to the DM server with 25m preparation time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every CO discussion goes the same way:

"COs are literally just XOs with a gun and also LRP!!!!!!!!!"

"Okay, how should we fix this?"

"uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh enforce MRP."

You guys do realize that the more staff has to deal with something, the less fun it becomes, right? If CO was TRULY MRP, you would have to ACTUALLY play a normal person. No more WW2 Japanese Generals, no more indian/tribal shaman warleaders (Windhealer is already at odds with staff more than other COs, any rise in standard would simply force him out 100%). So you're left with Lauffer, Carson and a bunch of cookie cutter COs you'll barely ever talk to.

The nature of command in CM is that you have about 20 minutes to come up with something cool, after that everyone goes to play the game. And you can either sit in CIC, play the game too and MAYBE talk to the other people inside (but this is pretty unlikely), OR you can go fuck around shipside. Except most of the people who would want to interact with you have already left.

There's the argument that removing the whitelist would make CO LRP (as if it wasn't already). But CO wasn't whitelisted for roleplay reasons. It was to stop baldies from playing their first game as CO (and apparently this was a better solution than timelocks).

And on another note: WLs and mods. Moderators already handle Marine Law shit (which is cancer), they could very easily deal with BEs. Synths, you literally just check logs to see who they fireaxe'd and what they said. Preds, well...remove preds. As it stands, the fact that you have to write a dumb story to get a role doesn't really contribute anything to the server. And it DOES make devs less willing to dev for these roles. Remove WLs 2020.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    snip
    Somebody who spent 100 Hours as Command, or 20-30 as every support roles would risk way more than some famous fucko who copypasted generic story, changed names to fit CM "lore" and his character and got 100000000 "+", because he is active shitposter on Furscord.

Long Timelocks solve greytiders, Ssethtiders and whatever.

And there exist objectively wrong LZ's and it's not in quotation marks, because fucking ICE LZ2 is and always was a death sentence. Just that one thing of putting this certain word in quotation means, you are the problem you try to fight, but can't quite grasp where it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Every CO discussion goes the same way:

"COs are literally just XOs with a gun and also LRP!!!!!!!!!"

"Okay, how should we fix this?"

"uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh enforce MRP."

You guys do realize that the more staff has to deal with something, the less fun it becomes, right? If CO was TRULY MRP, you would have to ACTUALLY play a normal person. No more WW2 Japanese Generals, no more indian/tribal shaman warleaders (Windhealer is already at odds with staff more than other COs, any rise in standard would simply force him out 100%). So you're left with Lauffer, Carson and a bunch of cookie cutter COs you'll barely ever talk to.

The nature of command in CM is that you have about 20 minutes to come up with something cool, after that everyone goes to play the game. And you can either sit in CIC, play the game too and MAYBE talk to the other people inside (but this is pretty unlikely), OR you can go fuck around shipside. Except most of the people who would want to interact with you have already left.

There's the argument that removing the whitelist would make CO LRP (as if it wasn't already). But CO wasn't whitelisted for roleplay reasons. It was to stop baldies from playing their first game as CO (and apparently this was a better solution than timelocks).

And on another note: WLs and mods. Moderators already handle Marine Law shit (which is cancer), they could very easily deal with BEs. Synths, you literally just check logs to see who they fireaxe'd and what they said. Preds, well...remove preds. As it stands, the fact that you have to write a dumb story to get a role doesn't really contribute anything to the server. And it DOES make devs less willing to dev for these roles. Remove WLs 2020.
    I agree with a lot that you have to say, but I think that timelocks are not a good solution for actually keeping unfit of people out of important roles. Is writing a story for a WL cringe and retarded? Yeah kind of, it doesn't really make any sense, but I think being roasted alive in the court of public opinions isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if it sometimes devolves into a popularity contest.

For Captain, I don't think there's any doubt that moderators can deal with BEs, etc, but I don't think that's the important part of playing Cap'n. Captain, in many ways, is a driver for roleplay for the marine force when filled as intended, I think the prevalence of some Captains and their household-name status is a testament to this. A different Captain changes the feel to a round, so in a sense, changes to Captains do not only effect Captains. Giving them more tools with which to roleplay trickles down to the average unga because of the amount of interaction (even if it is second hand interaction) the marines have with the Captain. As for the uselessness of timelocks, I don't think time played in a role is any real indicator of anything beyond basic competence with mechanics. A whitelist, while its current implementation in terms of the APP is maybe a bit silly, I think that having a court of public opinion where you require vouches of decent behaviour ensure that the applicant is more capable than a time limit could ever hope to do. For this, I want to take a look at the most common reasons that Captain apps made by players who frequently play XO are denied or scrutinized, and why I think that is important:

Bad behaviour within recent times of making the app
    Performance as XO not being up to par in one way or another (Generally poor role performance or grammar issues from what I've seen)
    LRP

While Captains can obviously be banned if they break the rules while playing Captain, I think that every captain we have now (Even if they are a bit silly) meet the criteria of being generally competent and communicating. While you can of course find some evidence to the contrary, I'd say observing the actions and behaviours of the average XO compared with the average CO show a pretty clear divide in terms of competence. I've played a decent amount of CO, and while I've had a number of very pleasant XOs, I also equally as frequently have silent, incompetent or absentee XOs that really do nothing at all. With the amount of influence that Captains have over a round, I think ensuring that they have more experience than an arbitrarily, ultimately pointless time-limit can show is incredibly important.

As for synth and predator, I am of the opinion that both could be removed from the game and that nothing of value would be lost. I don't think they should be, but honestly they don't contribute nearly as much to the RP of a round as captains do.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the fuckin councils and let Bancrose work soley as whitelist maintainer WITH ADVICE from the ENTIRE WHITELIST, no more tiny little clique senates. Either readd VOTED IN COUNCILS to the COMMUNITIES VOTE. Or remove them entirely and let Bancrose take full control.

Im sorry but Whitelists councils were good when we could pick who was on them, once Emerald started unilaterally choosing because she didnt like the results of the votes it became a flawed and quite honestly useless thing. This new senate thing is no different sorry bancrose chief its true. Its just council memes all over again.

Either let the community choose their representatives again.
    Or fuckin remove the entire thing.
    Former member of the Commanders Council, PM me if you want help with making a whitelist or have a question.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #FuckWhitelists
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids