• Yes, Give me the money.

69 72.63%
  • No

16 16.84%
  • Maybe, but change things.

17 17.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion - Convert "points" into dollars, give us the RP back.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestion - Convert "points" into dollars, give us the RP back.

I have been musing it over for a while, and I think one of the largest issues with RP is that as a marine nothing is really WORTH anything. The dollars are just for RP and only if you are bored.

My suggestion is to convert all the machines into taking dollars instead of "points" by just multiplying everything by a conversion of 10x.

Right now everyone starts with 50 points as a marine. Instead everyone would start with $500. (officers would start with more etc.)

All the attachments, gear, etc. all cost 10x in dollars what they used to. So a bica injector is now $20 dollars instead of 2 points.

The way I envision things. Those who dont give a shit will just gear up like they regularly do with the same items they choose, but now they are spending dollars instead of points and dont give a fuck.

For everyone else though, now that money matters things can get interesting.

-----Benefits-------

Now there is a reason to do crimes, make drugs, take bribes.. you can buy more stuff with it. Things cost amounts.

The CL instantly has his power back. No longer a role ignored by 3/4 of the marines.

Opens the opportunity for MPs/Engineering to issue things like tickets for damage, instead of just power tripping an arresting people. Also gives them actual crimes to solve.

The money is already in the game... everyone already spawns with an account and pin, you would just need to make the machines take this amount and have everyone start the round with the flat amount. I imagine the code would take some work.. but the systems are there(ish).

Leads to way more opportunities for events/roleplaying. Hell you could just say theres a bag on the planet surface with $10k in it and people would go nuts.

Leads to actually interesting crimes and a reason to do them. Would increase shipside things to do dramatically.

We can finally fine the TC for running the fulton over.

High stakes Uno is a thing.

Allows a popup at the end of the mission estimating the amount of cash spent.

-----Cons-----

People may meta by passing around cash. But I think this wouldnt be as bad as things could be... they could already meta items if they really wanted to.

Makes the CL much more powerful... we will have to keep an eye on him.

-----Optional----

I envision this extending to RO and Req as well, except their points are worth 100x and cannot be extracted or added to. Would be primarily to be consistent and allow the officers/people to price things. (like you lost a 4,000 sentry what the fuck are you doing).

It would also make Defcon make more sense. Instead of more points the military is issuing more funding to handle the situation.

I will Gitlab it after I get some feedback.

Note initially no one would get "paid" or have money increase like in other systems, but maybe we could work back to that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the CL can print thousands of dollars and will most likely turn into the RO's personal money printer ala darkRP style

but then again, at least CL will finally be useful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a neat idea that could certainly make things more interesting shipside.

Until requisitions installs a card reader and starts charging PFCs for stuff. And if a PFC doesn't have enough money, they have to survive long enough to get their paycheck at the top of each hour, or get a bonus. Or crime.

This has the potential to both be fun and excessively aggravating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe this has been suggested before and denied before under different development heads of the time, let's hope if you do GitLab this that it's actually considered and not auto-denied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would mean that I couldn't buy cigs and my standard kit, so I guess it would make our marines be money smart, also, if they do this they should make all the machines auto-charge and not make you swipe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anclandor View Post
    ...they should make all the machines auto-charge and not make you swipe.
    I'm probably gonna look like a weirdo but I freely admit I love all the little RP bullshit you have to go through (without overdoing it, of course) and I'd miss the need to swipe my ID to pay for vendor stuff. Hell, I already miss having to vend a knife separately to put it into my boots by hand.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't imagine the number of ahelps for people getting robbed, would be amazing.
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMandrake View Post
    Can't imagine the number of ahelps for people getting robbed, would be amazing.
    "Ahelp: Hey, uh, Delta just beat Alpha to a pulp and stole all the money" x 100

"IC ISSUE" copypasta x100
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually a really good Idea

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to form an Italian mafia and form a racketeering business.