• Yes, Give me the money.

69 72.63%
  • No

16 16.84%
  • Maybe, but change things.

17 17.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion - Convert "points" into dollars, give us the RP back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i approve
    Magdalene Meinhof el marino
    FF-XXX-V1 el xenomorpho
    Zin'Keh el predatorro

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    big up for this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very interesting idea

i like it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This idea is going to make MPs useful (?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps separating actual character private cash and job cash would be worthwhile? E.g. Marines get X money that is their private money; they can spend it how they like. However, they get 20X job money that is from the USMC and can only be spent at certain vendors (for weapons and attachments, etc).

Put a limit in place for how much CLs can add to the game, mk ey wise. Also, let them fax for more money (and perhaps even allow XOs and COs to fax headquarters for the same to encourage RP) if they can justify it. Also, giving them or certain other roles more money in events is interesting. Additionally, map options are opened: knowing money might spawn near a dead CL or in certain rooms or buildings might make people explore them more. Or search dead bodies. Now aliens have a reason to camp near money - it attracts prey! It would also be justified to an extent if that money becomes marine power/items because the Marines had to land, find it AND get it back safely to the ship, vend something with it or hand it over, and get back to the action. Also, this could open up more engagement for CLs and MPs by adding "any money found is property of WY" or the USMC - so a PVT not handing it over or announcing it would be in trouble; then we get to bribery of the CL, the CL urging MPs to investigate actual and meaningful theft, etc. Lots of possibilities.

Finally, have the RO side show how expensive things are by making the prices clearly high. New tank weapons and mortar shells cost a lot to buy; lots of ammo boxes do not. This adds nice RP weight to the importance of careful requisitioning.

I also like that there is a reward aspect. Command roles could give extra cash to Marines as a bonus. Sort of like medals but during the round to help influence it. This would be more balanced than it appears as the receiver still needs to go somewhere they can vend, taking them away from the action.

Lastly, this would give players more to do when they return for medical treatment or evac. They might be given more money to spend, they might have found some, they might go find some to hand over to the correct channels, they could try stealing some physical cash. By keeping private money and job money separate and electronic you limit the theft aspect. Maybe have some machine, like an ATM, that can turn physical money into electronic to use at vendors. Lots to consider, but an exciting idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausrine View Post
    snip
    Exciting idea for sure, until you realize you have to implement it very carefully, lest you run into problems from introducing an overcomplicated system that's more trouble than it's worth.

- Separate job/private money - great idea, but basically doubles the amount of variables to track for no good reason. Much easier to simply make sure marines have enough extra money to buy one pack of smokes, one zippo lighter and some snacks/other items. That extra money when combined, is enough to buy several items, but wouldn't be enough to get extra stuff from weapon/ammo/etc vendor.

- Looting money from the operational area sounds fun at first, until you have marines bumrushing places to get more cash for sweet upgrades. It would happen, there's no way to prevent that meta. Strictly speaking, there's nothing wrong with it, but looking at it IC, there would be a TON of stealing and insubordination that would pretty much end up being ignored anyway, leading to little to no RP.

- Command roles giving out monetary rewards I'm outright against, because again, it encourages meta. Many a commander would just dump all their allocated funds to wherever they feel like, regardless of rewards.

In summary, great idea, but think hard about what the server population is like and how the system could be abused. Nothing against players here, I have so far greatly enjoyed playing here, but let's be honest about how many people play to win, instead of play to have fun.

Here's my counter idea
    I mentioned it before, but:
    Give marines enough money roundstart to buy what they can buy now with points + enough money for cigarettes, zippo, some food and a walkman, if they want it.
    Then give them a paycheck at the top of every ingame hour. That would ensure steady trickle of money necessary to restock ammo and guns you lost when you were brought back to Almayer to get your ass sewn back on AND encourage staying alive.
    As you said, limit how much money CL can give out and just let him have his fun bribing marines.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: It sound strange for marines to pay for their attachements that they would inevitably had to give back to req after OP is over. No marine owns anything besides sunglasses, rosary, or some other shit. What sense does it make? Marines most likely don't get payed that much for few years of cryo service to pay for one attachement, not "pay", but really "rent" for one mission. With dozen missions in those couple of years.
    2: Nobody cares about req attachements after they already deployed. Nobody will wait hours for Alamo to go down, go up, buy shit again, wait for Alamo again, then drop again. Quite frankly, going up without having any pernament injury (and not going to medbay) most likely counts as fucking desertion.
    3: Queen can already grant leader pheromones to meta good beno players, why Commanders can't give more "Points" to good marines?
    Last edited by CABAL; 02-15-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    snip
    Actually yeah, you're right on all three of those. I retract my idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hence the idea of adding personal and job/role funds. The job/role funds would represent money the USMC is spending on equipment for you - you just get to pick how it is spent ("I want a pulse rifle and ammo and grenades for it, not a shotgun!").

I can see the risks with money on the ground causing looting and issues, but I'd rather trust players and put in place some safeguards rather than cut another thing that could lead to fun RP. By making physical cash separate to electronic (as it currently already is in game - try transferring bills into your account. Go on!) you are required to use a machine somewhere or hand it over. In that sense it isn't any different really to intelligence items like folders and discs. And yeah, agreed with CABAL - I don't see a lot of the meta players who just want kills all deploying to quickly find cash and then bring it back so they can buy a few more attachments... nah, they'll just loot corpses as they currently do.

I really do like the idea of command and CL both being able to reward marines. Glad to see CABAL likes that too