User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: risk/reward for CAS/OB/mortar/etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

risk/reward for CAS/OB/mortar/etc?

for those kind of weapons: the ones that come from the sky and blow up everything

i think we all know the reward to using them

but is there a risk to using them besides blowing up your own dudes?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blowing up your defences, blowing up new paths in walls so that benos can flank... Blowing up Tcomms if some Einstein gets FoB coords and OB's it.
    Stopping Marine pushes, blocking marine retreats.

That is about everything I can think of.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot limited ammo, only so many fatties can be fabricated before you run out for a while. Got to make every hit count, hopefully

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The risk is the limited ammo supply, needing to communicate between two to three people, and the FF potential. They're all very effective since they do all the things that a buckshot shotgun or SADAR can, but better. Big stun, big damage, gib potential, and extreme range. Most of the JTAC weapons are much more dangerous to marines than xenos, since they gib marines pretty easily too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any friendly fire from CAS/OBs/Mortar will generally be enough to kill someone and get pretty close to permakilling or gibbing them. Ammo for CAS is expensive, lases are very obvious, and OBs have so much warning nowadays that if you die to an OB you probably did it on purpose. Mortar also has spread that can cause that danger close call to hit the FOB instead of the xenos.
    Supposedly I'm a "senior mentor"

Community mentor 10/5/2019 - present

Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having bad fire support is legitimately worse than having a bad or empty medbay staff, also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night marines were pushing xenos back on prison. XO asked for SUPPLY DROP COORDINATES. Two SLs confirmed SUPPLY DROP COORDINATES. The OB hit 1/2 second after the supplies did. Marines went from winning to the loss being a forgone conclusion. OBs are scary for xenos but a bad enough OB seems like it's an immediate loss for a marine force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwaveringGrey View Post
    Snip
    I don't know what these coordinates are for, so I'm firing it as an OB. Let's hope for the best here boys.

Marine screaming

This is your lieutenant again, confirming good hits!
    Supposedly I'm a "senior mentor"

Community mentor 10/5/2019 - present

Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwaveringGrey View Post
    Last night marines were pushing xenos back on prison. XO asked for SUPPLY DROP COORDINATES. Two SLs confirmed SUPPLY DROP COORDINATES. The OB hit 1/2 second after the supplies did. Marines went from winning to the loss being a forgone conclusion. OBs are scary for xenos but a bad enough OB seems like it's an immediate loss for a marine force.
    Yeah that was the same round I entirely abandoned the operation, I went up to CIC to try and kill that LT and some staff members got mad at me for it. Shit was hilarious.
    I even asked the CO about it beforehand and he just said "I wash my hands of this" and I am pretty sure he went to cryo afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always an obvious risk using them...

But other than that. Blowing up entire building for Boiler to get more clearly views is also a bad sight. Like OBing Solaris medbay.