User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If lag is so bad, why not just split the server into two servers for now, until ss14

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to be constructive here.

While I don't have as bad of lag as some here's what I think about the issue. The game isn't fun unless you have 140+ players (IE enough marines to fill out all four squads and then enough PO's, MDs and Command staff) and a healthy alien side. During our lowpop hours we have about 40 (not the lowest I've seen) to about 90.

Unless there is a secondary game mode (which right now there isn't, and I don't think we are focusing on) CM would be stale if we had 45 players on both sides. I think the best we can do is focus on getting better servers that run faster and have a higher connection if/when we want to upgrade so we can host more players. If we run out of room for people then I believe it would be a good time for a server split but yeah.

Anyways that's my thoughts. You guys do have a point though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think splitting the game up into two servers during this summer might be a good idea since we're hitting 230 pop *now* in the *WINTER*, so god save us all during the summer. I'd be concerned about inter-server rivalry but that is whatever. With the amount of time CM rounds take, being able to die in one round and play another would be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two servers just mean that most people will join the most populated server, firstly because generally more people means more fun and secondly because more populated servers are higher on the server list. Then you just end up with a server that is consistently underpopulated to the point of being unplayable and where people just go to test things out or be shitty due to a percieved lack of supervision.

Goon has this problem really badly right now, for example, and I think to an extent it's kind of unavoidable. People really like highly populated servers, they just don't like the lag which comes with it.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surimi View Post
    Two servers just mean that most people will join the most populated server, firstly because generally more people means more fun and secondly because more populated servers are higher on the server list. Then you just end up with a server that is consistently underpopulated to the point of being unplayable and where people just go to test things out or be shitty due to a percieved lack of supervision.

Goon has this problem really badly right now, for example, and I think to an extent it's kind of unavoidable. People really like highly populated servers, they just don't like the lag which comes with it.
    Only if there was a solution... Like max cap for players on the server... Like 200 for example, or 180 to be sure other server will be populated too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    it would help but not as much as yall think because people would just hop to the other server when they die or when a shitty map comes up or whatever
    And that's a bad thing because...?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    And that's a bad thing because...?
    Who said it was a bad thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A population cap of 180 sounds about right to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple brains..
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just look at TG. their servers switch the 100 player mark almost every otherday, while leaving the others literally empty

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the lag bad nowadays? I've felt that it has been rather smooth actually.