User Tag List

Thread: Flamer Loadouts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flamer Loadouts

Hey everyone been experimenting with a pure flame thrower loadout recently and want to get some tips.

At the moment this is what I use.

Flamethrower pack (45points)

Marine Pattern helmet with kelotan and tramadol.

USMC jumpsuit.
    Webbing with grenades.

Heavy armor / fire suit.
    Advanced trauma and burn kits if using armor.
    (Not sure which is more effective for the loadout.)

General pouch on belt with three full size fire extinguishers.

Flamer with mag harness on armor or in hands if using fire suit.
    Extra extinguisher on back if using armor.

Refueling tank on back with two napalm tanks and one gel tank.

Depending on what I can scavenge until 12:20 my pouches are usually either autoinjector and medicine pouches, or a medium general with JTAC, or more gel tanks.

The load out works well for holding flanks and aggressive pushes. Holding flanks with napalm whilst watching and holding off charges. Aggressive pushes with gel fuel as when Xenos counter push you can punish with gel fuel.

Was wondering what I could do to improve. Definitely would like to make room for another weapon but want to keep the loadout flame focused. Maybe shoulder or belt holster? I play around other marines though so I just have to watch for ravengers and queens.

Any tips or tricks for flame or other misc loadouts would be appreciated.

Really enjoying the game mode and learning about misc roles. Planning on making a full guide once I get better and improve more.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditch general pouch for pistol of your choice, attachements on it usually for one-handed shooting and Rail Flashlight is a must. Don't use belt, this way you can have rail light effect with magharness on flamer.
    Firesuit is rather worthless, flames aren't what kills you. Ravs are.
    Heavy Armor isn't probably the best choice, medium gives additional storage slot.
    Ask for Bica-Tram in one flask and kelo in second flask from chemistry in medbay, label them and put in helmet.
    Ask for medkit pouch in Req, then find oxygen first aid kit, remove shit from inside, put splints, MRE and contents of a frist aid pouch inside.

Thanks to all of that you have plenty of space (3 slots in armor, 5 in webbing, 2 potentialy in pocket/ammo for pistol).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I've started doing which I find helpful is to number the (non-gel) fuel tanks with a hand labeller.

For example, the tank already in the flamer is #1. The two tanks in the backpack are #2 and #3, and so on.

This helps to keep track if you've refilled a tank with welding fuel, since welding fuel is pretty useless in combat but fine for clearing weeds or vines and extremely plentiful compared to napalm.

I'd always recommend carrying an M4A3 or other pistol at least. Remember, you can always refill fire extinguishers from a water tank. You don't need to be the walking bane of all fire.
    Last edited by Surimi; 02-11-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually like to have a m39 as a backup weapon loaded with ap rounds and a few AP mags. Grenades are good too. Even a training nade is useful to fakeout xenos after you toss. They all run away giving you a few seconds to rush in and use area of denial to give marines an opportunity to pass through a chokepoint.

Ravagers are the bane of pyros. That said you can fight them if you really must. (Although I highly recommend you find another section of the battle that doesn’t have them) Problem with ravagers is that pyro marines are public enemy #1. They will target you because they know your a big threat the rest of the xenos plus they are immune to your attacks.

To kill a rav is quite difficult and your load out will ultimately determine how difficult it is. If you pack multiple grenades, you can cook a grenade and frag em. You could also lay a mine when they are offscreen and try to get them to push your position. Once the rav is briefly stunned. You need to pullout your m39 (ap rounds is a must) and then spray the big red T-Rex down. If you have the burstfire attatchment this works even better. Ravagers have almost no evasion and firing 6 rounds instead of 4 is +50% damage per burst. If you are lucky, you can spray 2-3 bursts on him and be ready for the kill.

The m39 is also very useful, assuming you have it optimized for pursuit, to chase down xenos after you flame them. The flamer is quite slow and bulky so it’s pretty hard to chase. This is why you burn them and then immediately switch to the m39 for rushing.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get a fuel tank pouch and use a shotgun shell belt, that way you can carry a flamer and a MOU53/M37 shotgun for killing things you light on fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far you've gotten lots of good advice. Now it's time for my (significantly worse) advice.

Quote Originally Posted by nero View Post
    Definitely would like to make room for another weapon but want to keep the loadout flame focused.
    Good news! There's another flame focused weapon! I am of course referring to the flare gun, which gives you the ability to set things on fire at scope ranges and has IFF. So drop that belt pouch full of extinguishers. Those are for making things less in fire, which really isn't what you're about. Grab a flaregun belt and fill it with a flaregun and 16 flares. Fill a backpack or two with flare packs as well when you go down, so you have more ammo and your allies have light. I usually leave one at the fob and carry the other as I advance.

I'm only half kidding. I actually ran that build for a while and it is pure cancer. It's surprisingly easy to hit a charging crusher with a flare, and in chokepoint battles you can stand behind allies and just be an absolute nuisance. Also you'll dump so many flares into the chokepoint that it'll glow like the sun and the xenos can't melt them fast enough to keep it dark.

I eventually ended up ditching the flamer in favor of just using the flaregun with a rifle or shotgun as a backup. That way ravagers weren't quite as terrifying. I eventually dropped that loadout because reloading the flaregun turns off your suit light. They might have fixed that bug by now though... I might need to try a flaregun loadout again...

EDIT: Just don't expect to do too much damage with the flaregun. It's mainly to be annoying. I only ever got one kill with a flaregun. But I have had a praetorian tell me "G* *u** y**rs**f" after I lit him on fire three times, which I count as a win.
    Last edited by UnwaveringGrey; 02-11-2020 at 10:50 PM.