User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Give people more reason to carry sidearms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Give people more reason to carry sidearms

I want to propose the following: what if, after being tackled to the ground, it was possible to take your pistol out of a holster (uniform holster or pouch holster) and start shooting while on the ground?

It's somewhat realistic, and cool, and gives people more reason to carry a pistol in addition to their main gun.

Of course it would have to be balanced so its not very overpowered since, as I understand it, it is vital for the xenos to be able to capture humans, and it won't be fun if every capture attempt ends in the xeno dying to a pistol.

So I suppose the accuracy would have to be quite low, and possibly no reloads allowed. So it could scare or stun a wounded xeno who's trying to capture, but would not be enough to kill a xeno on full health who is determined to drag you away.

Also, I imagine for the sake of not making this thing too overpowered, the pistol will also have to be in belt holster, uniform holster or a holster pouch - in all of these cases it's taking up a slot that could be filled with something more useful - pouches, webbing, regular ammo belt. This way, an unga trades carrying capacity for the chance to avoid capture by shooting their attacker.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This opens up the thorny question of why can't marines go prone to allow proper firing lines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe prone firing is wildly inaccurate, making it only suitable at point blank range? (ie. the situations OPOP is describing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this idea a lot, as I always take a pistol and die off or survives the round without ever having the chance or need to use it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually it just brings up the question of "why not just magharn a shotgun/pulse rifle"

like why deal with a low capacity, low damage and low range pistol when you can pull out a shotgun and blow up some cocky runner, or another pulse rifle and keep spraying down the caves? ive never gotten into situations where i was DRY, unless it was at a chokepoint, and even then i die first most of the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwuhja View Post
    usually it just brings up the question of "why not just magharn a shotgun/pulse rifle"

like why deal with a low capacity, low damage and low range pistol when you can pull out a shotgun and blow up some cocky runner, or another pulse rifle and keep spraying down the caves? ive never gotten into situations where i was DRY, unless it was at a chokepoint, and even then i die first most of the time
    Because you can't use weapons while prone.
    The point of my thread is to allow marines to use pistols while prone and being dragged.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwuhja View Post

Wield delay, shoot delay, lack of hand/arm, lack of ammo... This all can happen to main gun. Magharness also prevents you from putting Rail Light on your gun, which is very important, objectively the best thing you can attach on the rail (grip light looses to a-grip for shotguns and v-grip for rifles). Magharnesses are also finite.

Sidearms aren't always for figthing. Revolver with bayonet and rail light gives you ability to force open unpowered doors, gives you one time use flare if needed and gives you additional knife if you somehow lost boot one top of the fact that you can ask for one heavy speed loader and have (after recent unjust nerf) better slug, than a slug shotgun in form of a shit you carry in backpack.

You can also, for example, pair buckshot shotgun with 88 Mod, running up to beno you want to PB, first chipping a bit of its armor before you do.

Since nest are unressistable, there is barerly any reason to have mag harness over rail light. It helps only if you get naded and your gun normaly would fly away. Maybe a bit during pounce, however smart benos don't drag you away from your gun, they just pounce, slash you one, or twice, fuck off and then pounce again.
    Last edited by CABAL; 02-16-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you post this on gitlab or else the devs won’t even consider it, and it’s a pretty good idea.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it won't be enough to kill pouncing xenos, just "scare" them? Cool once they figure it out they won't ever care and ignore it since xenos dont usually go for captures on low health

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    So it won't be enough to kill pouncing xenos, just "scare" them? Cool once they figure it out they won't ever care and ignore it since xenos dont usually go for captures on low health
    Well, the point is to maintain some sort of balance, since overpowered prone shooting would result in xenos not being able to get captures.

What I think is that we don't just need a small hit chance - say, 30%. We need RANDOM chance to hit the target while shooting prone. Maybe between 20% and 65% with the hit chance being calculated for each shot individually. I'm terrible at math so I'm not sure it is a good idea.