Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Give people more reason to carry sidearms

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    The prone position is technically already moddled, not sure if the mechanism to fire is though.

I wouldn't be opposed to something like this from a gameplay standpoint. From a staff standpoint however, I would not at all be enthused about having to bonk people for meming it up by dragging themselves everywhere, which is the exact reason why the dragging mechanic was removed.
    "We don't want marines crawling around everywhere on our no-RP server"

Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to something like this from a gameplay standpoint. From a staff standpoint however, I would not at all be enthused about having to bonk people for meming it up by dragging themselves everywhere, which is the exact reason why the dragging mechanic was removed.
    this is a server where people call the giant aliens "benos", PFCs are given gallon jugs of oxycodone labeled "unga juice" to chug on the front lines, half the marines don't actually show up for briefing because it's largely pointless since delta sprints directly at the hive and most of the other marines follow them regardless of orders, half of the server has spin macros, and people have started commonly using the term CBT in IC chat, among other things, and you're saying that we shouldn't add a feature that is requested and basically already coded because people might use it in a way that is less than 100% serious?

like I'm a proponent of trying to increase RP here but you're basically trying to avoid giving a papercut to a guy with no head

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you wanted this mechanic, these would be some sane ways to balance the mechanic.

(I'll refer to being tackled/laying on the ground as 'prone' for my sake here on)

• Artificially limit the range of any gun you fire while prone to only a few tiles away from you. So you cannot line up shots at targets 7 tiles away with your modded Pistol.
    • Cannot reload a gun while prone. The crux of this mechanic strikes me as a way to ward off an enemy or better protect yourself from friendly fire, not as a dedicated way to engage in combat. Not being able to reload would limit this ability to more a defensive move then an offensive one.
    • Anyone who is prone AND is wielding a firearm should still be vulnerable to being struck via ranged acid attacks.
    • Someone who has been grabbed by any HUMAN while prone will be unable to fire their gun. So you can't drag people around and have em shoot while you run away.

I think these mechanics would help enforce the concept of this idea as a defensive one, not something you'd see Marines lining up firing lines of prone Marines to maximise damage per square. There could still be some limited offensive utility but this might cut down on meme tactics.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    [*]Someone who has been grabbed by any HUMAN while prone will be unable to fire their gun. So you can't drag people around and have em shoot while you run away.
    Or maybe the one who's dragging a marine who has his pistol out cannot shoot, only the proned marine. Like in the scene from COD:MW2 where Ghost drags you as you shoot your AK-47 at the incoming enemies cause he's dragging you with two hands and he can't shoot, you know. If you can wield a shotgun, not even wielded, you can PB any incoming runners and protect both the comrade that's dragging you and yourself. Seems kinda cool

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    I think if you wanted this mechanic, these would be some sane ways to balance the mechanic.

(I'll refer to being tackled/laying on the ground as 'prone' for my sake here on)

• Artificially limit the range of any gun you fire while prone to only a few tiles away from you. So you cannot line up shots at targets 7 tiles away with your modded Pistol.
    • Cannot reload a gun while prone. The crux of this mechanic strikes me as a way to ward off an enemy or better protect yourself from friendly fire, not as a dedicated way to engage in combat. Not being able to reload would limit this ability to more a defensive move then an offensive one.
    • Anyone who is prone AND is wielding a firearm should still be vulnerable to being struck via ranged acid attacks.
    • Someone who has been grabbed by any HUMAN while prone will be unable to fire their gun. So you can't drag people around and have em shoot while you run away.

I think these mechanics would help enforce the concept of this idea as a defensive one, not something you'd see Marines lining up firing lines of prone Marines to maximise damage per square. There could still be some limited offensive utility but this might cut down on meme tactics.
    This would just make the mechanic needlessly complicated and useless. Why shouldn't it protect against ranged acid anyway? Xenos can just go prone and shrapnel misses them entirely (not like shrapnel was any good already)
    Especially the last point. It's entirely possible to shoot while being dragged on the ground, plus it's cinematic, fun, and promotes teamwork.
    Being unable to reload a gun just because you are lying down is silly. Especially if you are using something like a sniper rifle or a HPR that is designed to be placed flat on the ground.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make that standing up from prone position needs like two seconds and going into it needs like one, then it's all good. You won't pursue anyone like that.

Obviously, you shouldn't be able to shoot over even one cade, so it's already pretty big nerf in defence.
    Last edited by CABAL; 02-21-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, being unable to shoot over cades is a big enough nerf that you'd see this actually used. Maybe make it so you CAN shoot over sandbags, because lord knows sandbags need a buff of some kind to make the tedium worth it.