User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are rounds too short now?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they need to be longer

101 78.29%
  • No they are just right

24 18.60%
  • No they need to be shorter

4 3.10%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rounds are too short now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rounds are too short now

Does anyone else feel like rounds are way too short now? I just played a round where a 2 hour round was called long. To me CM doesn't really even get interesting until the 2 hour mark. these 1 to 1.5 hour curbstomps are way too boring and predictable. I don't care about win-balance rates or whatever, we need to start balancing for long, interesting rounds again. 4 Hour ice rounds baby!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, the magic number is 2 hours.

2 hours provides JUST enough back and forth in a round to make things interesting, while also not being too long as to be tedious and tiring. 1 hour rounds are often too anticlimactic and often just result in a lot of players not even getting the chance to shoot their guns, while 3-4 hour rounds become such slogs that most people end up burned out by the end.

However, in order to even hit that magic number (or close to it), you'd have to have good players on both sides, and considering the nature of RNG roundstart spawning, you are bound to have rounds that end in 1 hour steamrolls, one way or another.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between 1:30 and 2:30 is the sweet spot for me personally. It guarantees that my defense will be used (as a drone) and that I won't just see the hijack message pop up when late joining 30 minutes in.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The buffing to both sides over the past like, year? has shortened round lengths, it's not any one change just a lot of very tiny ones over a long period of time. I don't think theres any one easy fix to make them longer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, these rounds are kinda short. Especially if you get delimbed or IB in which you basically miss out on the round since it takes a decent amount of time to redeploy. I prefer the 2-2 and a half rounds as it gives enough of a round where I am fighting, but not too long where I just feel burnt out. Doesn't help that you technically take off half an hour since marines have to get prepped + Briefed which a fair number of people do not consider part of the round as a marine(or so I assume).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    12:39 win rounds are the best rounds. change my mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When rounds end at nearly two hours I think that gives plenty of time to roleplay, shoot up what you want and do whatever else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was meaning to do this for a bit, but this post encouraged me to look into the actual stats.

Yes, in comparison to last year, our rounds are on average shorter by a not insignificant margin. The biggest drop, however, occurred around when SD turned from manual to automatic (xenos hit Almayer, Almayer SD begins arming) and then to timeout (xenos hit Almayer, you have 20 minutes left in the game). AFAIR this general time is also when the game went from "75% xeno favoured" to "50-50". Both of these things had a large impact:

- Marines winning the round is usually a bit shorter, because Almayer fight is usually a somewhat lengthy siege, same with assaulting LZ1
    - More Marine victories means shorter rounds on average
    - Automatic timeout means we don't have 1+ hour Almayer sieges
    - Since we have no Almayer siege, Marines tend to evac a bit earlier than they usually would (they know that once they evac, the game will be over in less than 30 minutes, vs trying to hold off for an indefinite amount of time like before)

All of that contributed to the major drop in round times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePiachu View Post
    snip
    I would say it has more to do with the xeno mutator power. FOB defenses used to be more effective and it would take xenos a bit longer to break through. Now, defenses usually get steamrolled in a few minutes.
    Almayer defenses used to be longer but they were also "even" for longer. Now Almayer defenses usually fail completely and xenos would win if the timeout was 30 instead of 20 minutes.
    I can't begin to count the number of "draws" we had were everyone except one or two guys were dead when the timer runs out. That really isn't a draw in my book, thats a xeno win.

Edit: When FOB defenses are stronger and don't break, xenos will usually back off and allow marines to regroup at which point they will push out again with renewed vigor. That used to happen all the time, but since mutators it happens practically never. As soon as the Xenos show up at the FOB its usually over.
    Last edited by JJG; 01-14-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They wanted to speed up rounds which was a good idea but they did it in the wrong way. They shouldn't have made us kill each other way faster they should have removed the stupid bullshit like going through req line and sitting through boring ass briefing and making xenos take 30 minutes to get to a playable state.