Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FortyPercent - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    FortyPercent

Player Name You Use Most?
    Bob 'Dangerzone' Hale / Robert Hale

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    No bans or other applications.

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    Nope. But I got a few notes/warnings for... let's call it "lrp-adjacent behaviour".

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    It takes a character out of the round for good, so in a perfect world it should never be used. And I'm pretty sure I'd do my best to avoid using it at all (as much as I want to channel my inner commissar every time the damn PO evacs early).

Regular Executions can be a fun roleplaying-hook for a lot of players, with all the preparation they need and the grandeur that comes along with the big ritual. I personally believe they can be a lot of FUN. For the MP, for the accused and for the crew as a whole.
    Blamming someone in the head and instantly ending them is only fun for the CO and maybe a few people around if it's a good "punchline".

BEs exist to take a source of Anti-FUN out of the game. A naked PVT throwing Grenades inside the FOB (Though I expect the mods might be faster on that one than me). An Engie who keeps repeatedly and intentionally dropping mortars on our own guys (once or twice is fine and acceptable FF, of course) and refuses to step away from the mortar and surrender his arms. A survivor who keeps disassembling cades to let xenos into the FOB. That kinda stuff.

I'd always try and get some kind of roleplay out of that first, but if the saboteurs/deserters are unwilling to mend their ways, they will find peace at the end of the Mateba.

I also can't come up with a scenario for using BEs on board the Almeyer, outside of weird event hijinks.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    Hale worked his way up from the enlisted ranks all the way to being in charge of the Almeyer through a mix of dumb luck, dumb heroism and taking/offering the right bribes at the right time, serving through most of the roles in the USMC throughout his career at one point or another. As such, he understands that all departments and squads have their own individual little needs and work best if left room for... creative interpretation of their role in the operation.

He's also quite enamoured with the idea of squad "personalities" and tends to play into them. I. e. Greenhorn-Alpha (Link them up with veteran IOs or have them assist the tank to give them a guided experience), Fobbit Bravos (everyone does this, but you might as well exaggerate their ability a bit), Competent-Charlie (Voted ten times in a row "most likely to actually follow an order" by CIC) and Unga Deltards (Point them at a target and have no illusions about any control beyond that).

At the end of the day, however, Hale is a CO. And as the CO, his main job is to get the job done. Even if that means giving unpopular orders, or forcing the squads and crew into uncomfortable situations.

...Hale also suspect the CLF behind everything that goes wrong with/starts an OP. Because that's what those sneaky bastards do. Cause problems.

Insubordinate Req:
    Alright, this can actually fuck up the OP considerably. Have the MP on standby and get down there to try and talk sense into the wannabe-cargonians. If the issues can be resolved, great! If not, have the MP brig them all and then either man it myself, put it under jurisdiction of the MP or get Survivors to do the job. An insubordinate Req equals dead marines and an overrun FOB if festering for too long.

Insubordinate Engineering:
    ...MTs have so little to do I'm not sure how they could be insubordinate. Fixing the Reactors, maybe. CIC losing power is startlingly common, I suppose. Well. Remind them to do their jobs. Shout at them in person. Ask the MP to track them down and remind them about their duties in person (without brig). Hound the MP on them and drag them kicking and screaming back into their dark corner of the ship if they're being snippy about it. Or just have the synth do their thing. Or a survivor. Or a few marine volunteers.

Insubordinate MP:
    That's a tough one. Definitely check with HC. Remind them that it's their one job to be my most loyal pairs of hands, eyes and ears on the ship. If they're going into an actual revolt, for what ever god damn reason, it luckily won't be too hard to deputize a few Deltas/Marines to crush that insurrection. With medbay on standby to revive the MPs, of course. So they can have their proper sentencing and orderly execution at the end of a deputized firing squad.

Insubordinate CIC:
    Single officers who do not follow orders are to be reminded sternly about their oath of loyalty to the USMC and the chain of command. XOs, meanwhile, have more leeway in expressing disapproval for the COs orders. maybe they are in the right and a little debate convinces Hale of that fact. But in the end, all of CIC has to do as the CO says.
    If hey do not, operational insecurity has to be kept at a minimum. So Hale will cease the point and go to talk to the CMP in person and prepare a quick removal of the insubordinate CIC crew. And engineer to cut the power to CIC, a few flashbangs, some tasers, and an announcement that squads need to follow their last order (or fall back to defensible positions, depending on the situation) until further notice while CIC gets sorted.
    And by sorted, Hale naturally means get freed of the corrupting CLF influence that is no doubt at the root of this insubordination. With a firing squad.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The Commander has to run the ship, not just the operation.

From my experience, the XO is usually more than capable of handling the details of the deployment after the initial pow wow with the CO, leaving the latter to deal with the bigger picture of the deployment. Like ordering a change of strategy, coordinating with company assets and HC, ensuring the shipside jobs are done and, likely most importantly, setting up roleplay opportunities.

Or, yunno, deploying in person if the CBT lasts until 14:00 again to take charge at the front and lead the ungas into a glorious bayonet charge that is sure to break the hive once and for all.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    A personal vendor with all the kits for when the CO decides to go planetside. Maybe. It's very situational, I guess. But some CIC equipment vendor in general would be nice.

Disregarding that wishful dream, I think just having medHUD on all overwatch consoles as standard so the CO doesn't have to ruin his outfit with a HUD (or maybe special "allHUD"-sunglasses in various forms including, naturally, a monocle) would be a much more practical addition.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I've done a bunch of round where I was the sole XO for most of the deployment. If I was CO, some other aspiring general could've filled up that XO slot and we'd have a much more fulfilling round.

I also like the "challenge of command" but often find that the XO is too occupied with the running of the operation to engage much with the various RP opportunities onboard the Almeyer, leaving me pretty heartbroken when the CL stands there next to my CIC seat and looks endlessly sad because I have to coordinate 4 squads on their hunt for the queen and can't spare the time to do more than sign a few papers or agree to make sponsored announcements.
    If I'd have some more flexibility in how to handle that (only on rounds where there actually is an XO as well, of course), I think the experience of a lot of players would be nicely enhanced by the resulting opportunities.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Aside from the memento helmet with the word HAMMERHEAD written on the brim and the tacky peace stickers on the side on prominent display in his office and his odd habit of toying with a spent shotgun shell when in stressful situations, Robert Hale, more commonly known as Bob 'Dangerzone' Hale by his troops, could be mistaken for any other run-off-the-mill career officer in the USMC corps. No tactical genius, sure, but competent enough. At least at the first glance.

Hale originally signed up for the USMC on a whim. He'd just flunked his college application with utterly average grades that failed to get him into any college his parents, both of them working quite prestigious positions in academia, would actually approve of him visiting.
    Bob himself never was much of a fan of the career in academia his parents saw for him. He was, admittedly, quite talented with numbers and the understanding of complex contexts, but always lacked the drive to turn that talent into actual skill. A character flaw he shared with his classmate Jim (Jeremiah von Adolfstein, son of a member of Souto's middle upper management), making the two of them fast friends.

And so Bob and Jim, on the eve of their Senior Year, decided that if they had to disappoint their parents by not getting into any ivy league college, they might as well go all the way in disappointing them. But since neither of them actually knew any drug dealers to work for, they opted for the next best thing. Signing up with the USMC.
    Because those guys literally take anyone.

The two of them went through bootcamp together and soon found themselves assigned with the Alpha squad of the Falling Falcons as rank&file privates of the exact kind Alpha churns through with such startling regularity.
    It would be a lie to say that Bob (or Jim) finally found their calling here. They were just as average soldiers as they had been students. But they made it through their first few deployments. Won the respect and friendship of their fellow marines. Received their nicknames.
    "Dangerzone" for Bob for his propensity to use flamers and HEFAs with near-reckless abandon and "Hammerhead" for Jim because of that one time he took out a CLF soldier in CQC by repeatedly slamming his (helmeted) head into the terrorist's face.
    They even managed to get promoted, if more through their iron grip on life than actual excellence in service. Life was... not good, but pretty fine, all in all. And the minimal enlistment period was just 4 years, after all.

And then came LV-332. The planet on which Bob picked up smoking. And Jim had the better part of his prefrontal lobe splattered across Bob's face by a CLF shotgun slug.

Bob's outlook on the service changed a bit, after that. He'd lost friends and comrades before, but Jim... Jim made the war with the CLF personal. It took him a few weeks to get back to even a semblance of his usual slacker goofball self, but he never found back into that role entirely.
    The loss gave him focus. Finally challenged his supposed talent on an actual goal. And his career began to take off when his 4 year term ended and he signed up for life instead.

Hale never quite became the model soldier. Nor officer, once he managed to get his commission. But now he certainly counted to the "above average" percentile of soldiers. And one quite well liked by the men serving with and under him. Still, he was rapidly approaching his 40s by the time he was first proposed for promotion to CO, and his greying hair made him look even older than that.
    But he had built a reputation as a competent officer, especially in operations against domestic terrorist groups. The rates for captures to kills were a bit out of whack for his command against CLF insurgencies compared to the service-wide average, sure, but that didn't really concern anyone in charge that much. Hale got the job done, usually, and without making too much of a mess.

And that's what counts.

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by FortyPercent; 02-20-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great application, excellent XO, and hopefully soon to be a great CO. Good luck out there. +1

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot Banshee! I suppose you might be seeing me more often as XO in the near future, so I hope I don#t have you change that opinion

Also, a quick edit on the sheet. Originally had a sniper cartridge, now it's a shotgun slug. Because that's the actual trinket item you can have.
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your experience and understanding of the role is obvious, and you're clearly articulate and good-humored enough to make the cut.

The only thing putting me off from giving this a fat +1 is your BE response, specifically the last sentence. So, I'll challenge you to come up with a couple of scenarios where you think a BE is justified aboard the USS Almayer.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingIdiot View Post
    Your experience and understanding of the role is obvious, and you're clearly articulate and good-humored enough to make the cut.

The only thing putting me off from giving this a fat +1 is your BE response, specifically the last sentence. So, I'll challenge you to come up with a couple of scenarios where you think a BE is justified aboard the USS Almayer.
    Fine. Let's see. From most specific to most generic.

1: End of round, shuttle crashed into CIC. XO, who held the post to call SD, is gibbed. I'm the CO and in front of SD. Marines try to get rowdy and steal my tablet to call escape pods instead. That's a time for Blam, possible multiple ones. Sure, chances are that causes a spontaneous mutiny, but... can't have delta clown on the CO. Especially during delta alert. (I seriously doubt this could happen during a normal round given how excited ungas usually get about SD marine major, but hey.)

2: Again Delta alert. XO took control of most of the operation and developed a healthy hating for the xenos. CO, meanwhile, had a side thing going on with the CL, involving various hijinks and possibly even PMCs. A big, dark secret is revealed and CO wishes to have the escape pods called so word of the secret can get back to HC after "someone" blew up tcoms to avoid faxes getting sent. The tablet is gone. XO, meanwhile, wants to call SD because fuck the bugs. XO refuses to stand down. Blam.

3: Lowpop. There's no MP. CO is alone in CIC. Random marine starts blasting through the front door and refuses to communicate. Blam. Assuming I get him before he gets me.

4: Boarders. If you attack the Almayer with hostile intentions your life is forfeit anyhow. Though this might just count as PB-Deluxe? I've heard other COs frown on the Mateba+Sword combo, but I'm not very robust so I wouldn't really have qualms about it. Assuming I can actually pull it off.

As I said, circumstances would have to be pretty weird and extreme for me to use it. It seems to boil down to "a decision has to be made quickly or the whole operation goes (even more) into jeopardy and there is little or no backup", with little opportunity for other solutions.

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right it has come to our attention that your note involved you letting a perma prisioner walk outside the brig unsupervized. Care to explain this incident, such as, what made you do it? Was it intentional ? Basicly your side of the story.

I hope you understand that you are applying for a WLed role that requires a bit more knowledge about ML than an average player, therefore the question above is being asked.
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smov View Post
    Right it has come to our attention that your note involved you letting a perma prisioner walk outside the brig unsupervized. Care to explain this incident, such as, what made you do it? Was it intentional ? Basicly your side of the story.

I hope you understand that you are applying for a WLed role that requires a bit more knowledge about ML than an average player, therefore the question above is being asked.
    My conversation with the mod who noted me on that:

Spoiler Spoiler:

In retro-perspective, I believe I was being too soft on the CE because I sympathized with him (if I were in his situation I'd likely have killed that fuck, too. Not as CO, but LT and below? Yeah.) which led me to be a bit too lenient. And it's the job of the CMP to be the law, not lenient. I think I've only played CMP once since, but I did resolve to make all verdicts final outside actual appeals, with no "weird" pseudo-appeals anymore. (Unless the CO orders otherwise)
    Last edited by FortyPercent; 02-21-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I've had ya plenty of times as my OW/aCO and ya issued orders competently and fulfilled my requests quickly.

Not to much on the RP side of ya but I enjoyed interacting with ya after evac and pre deployment.

+1 from me and I'm lookin forward to ya being CO!

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answered in aces. +1 from me, you certainly deserve it.

EDIT: Forgot to add, your last response technically isn't a BE scenario since BEs are specific to USCM personnel. Furthermore, if the boarders are USCM such as a mutinying squad commandeering a dropship or something along those lines, they're still fair game until the mutiny is resolved, whereupon standard BE rules apply. All your other answers are spot on.
    Last edited by ScreamingIdiot; 02-22-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am willing to overlook some things. From what I’ve seen from you as an SO you take the role seriously, aren’t a shitter and do a better job than 90 percent of SOs. The only thing I can recommend is playing CO on lower pops first if you can before you try high pop.

+1