User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP Cargo Tech Guide Video (Help Wanted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WIP Cargo Tech Guide Video (Help Wanted)

I'm working on a guide for Cargo Tech. It's everything that I've learned doing the job condensed into a format which I plan to make into a youtube video. I'll also be releasing a one-pager image file as a 'cheat sheet' for quick reference for things such as vender info, how to use the headset, and other stuff.

Before you get too excited, I'm working with extreme limitations. My computer is a potato, so this glorious project will be made with the power of windows movie maker. That means that this guide will rely on static images, the sounds of my face-hole narration, and my crudely drawn cartoons to illustrate what I can't capture. Yes, it's going to be horrible.

I need to make sure what I'm releasing is accurate. This is just a partial guide but I want to make sure I'm not releasing inaccurate information. I would probably die if that were the case. So I need someone to review what I've put together for consistency.

This video isn't monetized. I can't offer you any monetary compensation, but I will credit you as a collaborator. If you're interested in being a part of this, please send me a message or...heck, just comment here.

What I have so far:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=13E...fdTfUQXtc94zKQ

I'm working on this as a labor of stupid love, so I can only devote whatever I have outside of my day job. It'll be slow going, but I think it'll be fun. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t wait! Goodluck man, working with shitty hardware is annoying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i'll help you hmu @AlbertBlackwell#7506
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nero View Post
    Can’t wait! Goodluck man, working with shitty hardware is annoying.
    Thank you. Sometimes constrictions can foster creativity...but only sometimes. HA HA HA...

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertBlackwell View Post
    yeah i'll help you hmu @AlbertBlackwell#7506

Hey thanks. Feel free to message or post here (until I can get on discord). Let me know what you thought about what I've put together so far. Also, it's really ambitious, but thinking of doing static image animatic for the end, showing what's really down the ASRS elevator.
    Last edited by PFC Snots; 02-21-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: stuff

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's progress going? I quite like your guide from what I'm seeing. If you need help with screencaps, I'd be happy to!
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look forward to it. Anything to lessen the shock for new people trying out the horror that is the Req line. My first time in that line was... harrowing, to say the least. And I loved doing cargo on other servers. Once I figured it out, it was ultra easy. But before then? No one forgives you for not knowing every three letter acronym out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    How's progress going? I quite like your guide from what I'm seeing. If you need help with screencaps, I'd be happy to!
    I hit a snag that destabilized me. I'm feeling better these days and will probably return to it. To be honest, it can be discouraging when only one person has read your stuff. I don't want to promote anything that is false and thus deterimental to the community. I still have to add in a section about roleplay and conduct. I would like to encourage the idea that it's not so much about winning as it is having fun and making a good experience with the others in the game.

That being said, I would LOVE if you can help with screencaps. I'll make a list soon and let you know. Also, please send me what name you'd like to be credited with on the credits roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosetasm View Post
    Look forward to it. Anything to lessen the shock for new people trying out the horror that is the Req line. My first time in that line was... harrowing, to say the least. And I loved doing cargo on other servers. Once I figured it out, it was ultra easy. But before then? No one forgives you for not knowing every three letter acronym out there.
    Let me know if what I've done seems like a good starter guide. I'll go back to edit and try to emphasize that it'll take time to learn all this. The really challenging part to consider as well is the handout I want to include.

I think it should have:

Common actions: How to pull things. How to throw things. The most important for moving freight.

Other actions: Keys for pointing, and alt-clicking to show a list of things.

How field strip a weapon:

Building actions: A list of things you can build with metal (A copy of the build menu)

Syntax for radio communication: :a Alpha :b Bravo, etc.

Sprite of the attachments vendor with major categories listed above it: Rail, Under-barrel, etc

A labeled sprite of which button in the req line ejects and which one opens shutters.

Sprite of the Weapons vendor with a picture of a marine and visual drawings pointing to him. A pulse rifle for 'weapons' and a pouch pointing to the belt labeled "pouches', and then a picture of a grenade labeled 'explosives, and then maybe a machete for the "misc." Etc for the other vendors. Just so they can remember the categories and then bridge the gap with their experience. This will be most of the handout.

Small outline for working the platform:
    1. Identify any OB crates first. Do not open them.
    2. Open all other crates.
    3. Move the contents to
    a. Racks
    b. Floor piles
    c. The crate on the 'e' space if directed
    4. Leave the manifest in the crate
    5. Let the RO stamp the manifests
    6. Close the crates
    7. Get off the platform

I think these are very basics to go on a handout for quick reference.

I appreciate any help. Your generosity with the feedback encourages me and gives me the motivation to continue even when I feel myself tired or down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there’s a time requirement for being Cargo Tech and Maintenance Tech now. Might only be a few hours, but that might be enough to get people past the basics of grab-n-toss in the BYOND engine. Still, it’ll prolly be good for people who skip the wiki, or where CM is their first SS13 experience. A list of the built in commands like pointing, giving, and whatnot is a good idea. Especially coming from other servers, where those layouts may be different. The radio channel part is also important, since one of the most frequently asked things I see is “what’s the letter for X channel?” Yes, please make sure people don’t get ejected from line by mistake. If there’s a long line, you’ve just caused a serious issue.

It looks like a good list of things to cover. Maybe have an alphabetical list of the vendor items, with a listing of what vender, then what category the item is in? One of the more frustrating parts of first learning the window is figuring out which vendor you’re actually supposed to be looking in, especially since there is some overlap in equipment themes between vendors. I’ve got it all memorized now, but a list would have been very helpful.

Make sure you specify to the new Req guys that OB stands for Orbital Bombardment, so they know what they’ll be screwing up if they open that crate, and let them know that if they do, then they’ll have to walk the munitions load sections to the Cannon 2 at a time via powerloader. Making the trip once can be fun. Making the trip 3 times (1 for shell and charge, then two more times for 2 charges) can get irritating. And the RO will most likely make you do it if you mess it up. Also put in there the reasons for returning the crates with stamped papers inside (small point refunds add up.) Everything you came up with is good. Definitely looking forward to when it is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a good list of things to cover. Maybe have an alphabetical list of the vendor items, with a listing of what vender, then what category the item is in? One of the more frustrating parts of first learning the window is figuring out which vendor you’re actually supposed to be looking in, especially since there is some overlap in equipment themes between vendors. I’ve got it all memorized now, but a list would have been very helpful.

I should make a list that they can access maybe somewhere. On the google drive, I guess. But not on the handout, since it would get too big for readability. This is just one vendors list for starters:

ColMarTech Surplus Uniform Vendor
    USCM Uniform
    Marine Combat Boots
    Heat Absorbent Coif
    M276 Pattern Ammo Load Rig
    M276 Pattern Shotgun Shell Loading Rig
    Lightweight IMP Backpack
    USCM Satchel
    Armor
    M3 Pattern Padded Marine Armor
    M3 Pattern Padless Marine Armor
    M3 Pattern Ridged Marine Armor
    M3 Pattern Carrier Marine Armor
    M3 Pattern Skull Marine Armor
    M3-H Pattern Heavy Armor
    M3-L Pattern Light Armor
    M10 Pattern Marine Helmet
    Gloves
    Marine Combat Gloves
    Alpha Squad Gloves
    Bravo Squad Gloves
    Charlie Squad Gloves
    Delta Squad Gloves
    Radio
    Marine Radio Headset
    Alpha Squad radio encryption key
    Bravo Squad radio encryption key
    Charlie Squad radio encryption key
    Delta Squad radio encryption key
    Supply Radio Encryption Key
    Engineering Radio Encryption Key
    Gas Mask

The other problem is that I would prefer the data to be evergreen if possible. These vendors might be subject to new items or less items. But I'm betting the group names/ categories would remain. But I will go with your suggestion but put a date knowing that this information is subject to change. Maybe put them on a google doc.

Make sure you specify to the new Req guys that OB stands for Orbital Bombardment, so they know what they’ll be screwing up if they open that crate, and let them know that if they do, then they’ll have to walk the munitions load sections to the Cannon 2 at a time via powerloader. Making the trip once can be fun. Making the trip 3 times (1 for shell and charge, then two more times for 2 charges) can get irritating. And the RO will most likely make you do it if you mess it up. Also put in there the reasons for returning the crates with stamped papers inside (small point refunds add up.) Everything you came up with is good. Definitely looking forward to when it is done.
    The handout will definitely have a hazards chart. The OB is going to be defined and a sprite will be put there. Major headache. I've tried to explain in the tutorial what happens with the OB.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Helps me a lot!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... Good Lord.... I NEED THIS...

On a more serious note, this guide condenses a LOT of good information, even before it becomes the final video format.
    Last edited by Jackson T. Murphy; 03-04-2020 at 10:50 PM. Reason: I still suck at editing