Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mitzubishi - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Mitzubishi

Player Name You Use Most?
    Adam Berkshire

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    None

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    As the Commanding Officer of the ship, it would be my responsibility to ensure a smooth and successful operation both on the ground and aboard the Almayer. Battlefield Executions should be reserved as a last recourse or emergency procedure where normal executions cannot be carried out due to extenuating circumstances, or situations that risk the success of the operation where time is a factor. Battlefield Executing a marine results in them being removed from the round permanently and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Examples of these emergency situations or situations where a normal execution wouldn’t be practical would be in cases such as:

- A Marine who is upset with his SO shouting over squad communications his murderous intent, and shooting down the doors to the CiC in an attempt to murder his Lieutenant. If Military Police were not present or able to react in a quick manner to subdue, lethal action would be justified.

- The Chief Engineer threatening to sabotage the Engine due to complaints with the MP staff who is unable to subdue him after numerous escapes and chases. Power is critical to the CiC and the Almayer as a whole which would seriously jeopardize the operation at a critical time where communications are essential.

- A naked Private firing upon medical staff in the medical bay 40 minutes into an operation. Doctors and Medical staff are essential to keeping marines in fighting form and are usually critical in fixing their broken bones/keeping them from chest bursting.

The Battlefield Execution method differs from regular Executions in these and many other examples I’ve personally witnessed in that it requires little to no time to ensure that the threat is put down. I would do my very best to try and have the MP force handle most situations, but they cannot be everywhere at once and are not always available or staffed accordingly depending on the time of day. Battlefield Executions, while a snap judgment call, should require thought, consideration, and most importantly experience in the matters depending on the circumstances that would lead to such a decision being made.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    If given the opportunity to take on the role of the Commanding Officer, I would use the role to run the ship in the manner that a Captain is supposed to, which is to oversee the operations of the ship, not completely take over all the minute and fine details of each department unless absolutely necessary. This requires a lot of communication and information being shared between the departments and command, where problems should be solved in a timely manner before becoming a problem. As the Commanding Officer, I would use a light hand to guide the different departments of the ship to properly ensure the success of their department, whether it be the Pilot Officers running Close Air Support, or Maintenance Technicians properly keeping the engine in good running order. These tasks to override and resolve issues among the different departments can be delegated to the Executive Officer to handle, as he should be the right hand man of the Commanding Officer and should be utilized whenever possible. Only when there is a severe breakdown or inability for them to complete their tasks would I have to step in and override their assigned duties to ensure the capabilities of the Almayer, so that deployed forces will have an easier time completing their individual missions, thereby ensuring success in the operation.

As for dealing with insubordinate departments, I would use the same communication and information gathering detailed above to get a firm grasp on what is going on. When dealing with insubordination you also have to have an innate understanding of exactly what is happening and the events leading to such events before making a judgment call while also keeping in mind the RP aspect of the actions committed by the offending parties. In cases where a CMP is available I would dictate the responsibility of properly communicating Marine Law through their abilities and have them give the proper punishment according to their actions.

All cases of insubordination of course have different causes and effects based upon the actions of the insubordinate marines. Say for example, if it’s just a matter of a Marine refusing to deploy because he can’t figure out how to dispense gear from his vendor, I would try and get the assistance of a Gunnery Sergeant to show him the proper use of the vendors and get him on his way. A Commanding Officer has many tools at his disposal and should be using them instead of trying to do everything by himself. The same use of the resources available should also be considered in major cases of insubordination, for example the entire requisitions department declaring themselves a separate part of the ship and refusing to send more supplies to the ground forces. I would converse with the Staff Officers, Military Police, CMP, and other heads of command staff such as the XO and CE on how to handle multiple marines committing what basically boils down to sedition. While I could just barge into the requisitions bay and Battlefield Execute them all, I’d rather find a solution that benefits everyone and keeps the round going for everyone involved, incorporating RP solutions to my decision on how to handle it. The same kind of cases of entire departments being insubordinate can be handled in similar ways with as much information being gathered and opinions on the matter being provided by everyone involved.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The job of a Commanding Officer is to accept the responsibilities provided to him and to ensure a smooth, successful operation for all the marines that should be working towards that same goal. Given the opportunity, I would do my best to coordinate and understand how squads, departments, ship side staff, etc. are operating between each other and find ways to compliment their own ways of providing leadership to those of the other roles giving the actual orders to marines.

This could be looking at a situation on the tactical map and maneuvering squads in a way to apply pressure in a flank, providing vital information on enemy positions and hard points via information relayed by the SOs, SLs, and other deployed leadership roles, and relaying this information via announcements and proper use of the OverWatch consoles by the SOs. This could also be just a simple matter of having the final say on a disagreement between two different departments that are fighting over a petty issue.

This could also mean knowing the difference between IC disputes and just plain OOC lowRP griefing that can inevitably happen in a round. In my opinion, it’s important to know the difference between the two and act accordingly.

In short, I would use my job as the Commander to oversee the operation and only interject or apply myself to solve issues that threaten the success of the overall operation. The job of the Commander is to oversee and protect the lives of the marines, and to aide the operation in any way possible and ensure a victory for the USCM.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    I believe a more efficient way for the actions of individual marines to be recognized more often would benefit the role of CO more in a positive way. An added sort of mechanic for SO’s to make recommendations that are automatically approved/denied from their OW panels would make medal commendations and tales of valor more readily perceived and justified since it’s the SO’s that see most of the actions performed from PFC to SSGT.

Think of the approve/deny requisitions console but for medals that could be added to Over Watch and decided on by the current CO with the push of a button.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    As an active and long time player of the community, I believe that I could contribute by facilitating a stronger sense of teamwork and ability for squads to work together as a whole through understanding of the mechanics of the command leadership roles and how each one affects their respective departments or squads. Taking the role of CO is a stressful (albeit fun!) challenge, and I believe I can finally commit to such a role that can have such an immense effect on the round’s progression.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Executive Officer Adam Berkshire sat in worried concentration upon the Captain’s chair, brow furrowed and contemplative of the situation that the USCM was currently involved. Even sat among the chaos currently unfolding across the bridge and that of his open tactical map, a constant irritating dripping from the newly installed, yet malfunctioning, coffee maker was seemingly the only disturbance to him. He once again shot an angry glance towards what most others wouldn’t even hear among the constant hum of the various ship systems and machinery.

Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap...

“Commander, Sir!” rang out the voice of a nearby Lieutenant, breaking the seemingly maddening monotone drip of the infernal machine.

“We’ve still not received word from Captain Pierce, and his detachment is still missing.”

Berkshire rubbed his temples in a futile attempt to subside the growing raucous migraine that was now pressed against his thoughts. It had been over an hour since the Commanding Officer of the USS Dwight had put it on his own authority to deploy on the transport ship in a last ditch effort to rally what remained of the battalion's compliment of marines that were currently engaged in what looked to be a futile attempt to regain control of the colony and put down the rebellious efforts of their ad hoc leadership. Three long days of guerrilla warfare had ultimately turned into a brutal trench warfare now, and the colonists were on their own home turf, slowly pushing back and back, further from any hope of regaining control of the situation.

Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap…

“Has there been any word of the other squads? I need current reports, not delayed messages relayed by the drop ship pilots.” The Commander’s question was quick and terse, tainted with the clear annoyance that he had of the problems that plagued the operation. He once again glanced away from the tactical map in disgust, towards the machine...

Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap…

“No, Sir. The CLF still have control over the communications dome, and our own equipment is still malfunctioning from the attack.”

It had been over sixteen hours now that the Colonial Liberation Forces had been successful in their horrific attack upon the USS Dwight. A madman’s plan to be sure, but an effective one. Only a hatred filled soul spurred on by the dogma of the liberation forces would willingly follow through with orders to don a captured marine’s uniform and holotags, disfigure himself so much to be brought aboard the ship as a wounded marine, and only once brought onboard apply the pressure needed on his detonator. The maintenance technicians were still desperately trying to restore power to sub systems and shipside communications relays. The plan was also effective enough to draw the Captain out and deploy to the front line to ensure communication channels with handheld signal bounced radios.

Berkshire muttered under his breath as he reviewed the FAX that was in relay from High Command only just as the improvised explosives were detonated. “And they call us the monsters...”

USCM HIGH COMMAND FAX
    EYES ONLY FOR OF-3 RANK AND ABOVE
    SU&*JECT: ORBITAL BOMB#$#ENT OR#!ER
    TO: USS DWIGHT (CPS-204)
    SITUATION REPORT RE%$^#VED. EVACUATION OF ALL USCM FORCES TO BE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. CLF PRESENCE TO BE DET%&ED VIA ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT TO COMMENCE IMMEDIATELY UPON SATISF^@CTION OF EVACUATION AT YOUR DISCRETION. PRESS BLACKOUT SUSTAINED WITH WESTON YAMADA COOPERATION.
    MINING COLONY TO BE PRESUMED LOST.

CONFIRMA&*^ON CODE CHARLIE PAPA SIERRA TWO ZERO FOUR

MESSAGE TO BE AUTHENTICATED BY %!$#ECUTIVE OFFICER AND FOLLOWED T&#OUGH BY COMMANDING OFFICER.

END OF MESSAGE.

Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap…

One hour later, the last evacuation transit was being made to the Dwight just as Berkshire glanced back to the Lieutenant and gave the order he had been dreading since his Captain’s disappearance.

“Begin transition to high orbit and ready the Orbital Cannons for continuous bombardment.”

Commander Berkshire stood silhouetted against the viewport glass of the Dwight’s bridge as the surface of the small moon began to erupt in a cacophony of light.

“Monsters, indeed.” He muttered almost completely silently.

Tap-tap-tap……

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent SO, amazing XO, the Charlie SL that gets the job done. Outstanding application, in my opinion, and well deserving of the Captain's Whitelist. Some of the CO's might not have seen him due to him being lowpop, but I can 100% vouch for his outstanding behavior. +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBanshee View Post
    Excellent SO, amazing XO, the Charlie SL that gets the job done. Outstanding application, in my opinion, and well deserving of the Captain's Whitelist. Some of the CO's might not have seen him due to him being lowpop, but I can 100% vouch for his outstanding behavior. +1
    Thank you for the kind words. I try to be active during highpop but work hours override that for the most part, and I genuinely enjoy the lowpop hours more often than not.

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen Adam around a lot, and it's always been a positive experience. Great roleplay, firm grasp of all the roles on CIC. A general joy to have on your side.

The story had me smirk, too.

+1
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had multiple encounters with Adam and I am happy to say that they were always positive. He is an excellent Staff Officer, Commander, and a capable Squad Leader. Surprisingly whenever I see him as Charlie Squad Lead everyone follows his orders to the point I cannot emphasize enough of this man's great leadership skills. I have full confidence that he will make an amazing Commanding Officer, both role-play and when it comes to battlefield strategy.

The reason I suggest him as an excellent CO candidate is because of the fact of this man's dedication. I have never seen this man not being productive during a round especially in the CIC. He was always there to coordinate, relay information and order marines into optimal strategies. Good luck in getting whitelisted, you will be a great Commanding Officer if the opportunity is given.

+1
    Aden Cooper

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does well as my OW and aCO and I see no problem having ya as my Cap'n.

+1 from me and I look forward to seein ya more often!

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam seems pretty based from what I have seen in game. I had him as an overwatch/CIC member a day or two ago and he definitely keeps on top of things, I can see him being a good CIC Commander for sure. Haven't seen him on the front lines much, though that is probably due to time differences.

Also your story is written in a nice way, I do like how it reads more like a novel than just a descriptive backstory.

+1 from me, dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't usually respond to applications, so here goes.

Berkshire is someone who's only recently stood out from the crowd for me, in specific the one event where I had to be taken alive by PMC's followed by RMP's. During this round (and possibly another) he interacted directly with me in order to protect me, and the manner in which he did so was pretty based. This doesn't qualify for CO, I know.

However, since then, I have been paying closer attention to Mitzubishi when in-game, especially if within a command role of sorts, and just today I had him as my Executive Officer. He stayed on top of things, asked permission for lots of things where other XO's would just do, responded to messages in a timely manner and made correct announcements based on my orders, instead of giving conflicting ones. OOC'ly Great behavior, friendly player, and did ask me and other CO's for input on his application to proofread.

In a nutshell, this is a no-brainer. I want this guy as my fellow Commanding Officer.

Massive +1 from me.

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great app, great community support, great story. Big +1 from me.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My name is Yuri Gennedy Gregorovich and I approve of this app +1