Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Balanced TDM

3 5.08%
  • Medium RP Server

22 37.29%
  • Mix between RP and TDM

20 33.90%
  • I wish it would be Medium RP, but IMO it's just not realistically applicable for everyone playing

13 22.03%
  • Other

1 1.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want your opinion

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need actual definitions for what Low/Med/HighRP is before you can even really poll for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    You need actual definitions for what Low/Med/HighRP is before you can even really poll for it.
    That's very true. The way see it:
    Low RP is any time that someone stays mostly in character but occasionally breaks the fourth wall by saying something about "Gamer moment". Even without breaking the fourth wall, breaking character is LRP. So if a bunch of marines start referring to each other as knights, the officers as nobility, and to the CO as "my liege" it's LRP.

Medium RP is when there are no active breaks from what the character would do in order to do something "for the memes". Light mil sim. You don't need a detailed backstory here, but you do need to at least mostly listen to orders.

High RP is that full mil sim, full universe knowledge goodness. Characters that have personalities and feel like real people. They have backstories and friends/enemies in the Corp with them. Those backstories are important, even if they rarely have a chance to be told. Bonus points for characters that are able to really capture that "80's/'Nam but in space" vibe. Bonus points if they know not to salute NCOs or refer to them as "sir."

I would consider someone joining the server to unga in silence to be MRP, albeit on the low end of MRP. So long as they're not actively detracting from the round with shenanigans it's fine. Sometimes I just want to join the server, follow the SL to the front, and bust some skulls. I won't begrudge anyone else if they want to do the same.

That's definitely not all inclusive, but does that seem about right to people? What would you define differently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three of these options are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesome View Post
    Bring back shipside RP.
    Correct.
    Last edited by Corocan; 02-25-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring back shipside RP. Leave the TMD stuff for the grunts on the planet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmorpg

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwaveringGrey View Post
    That's very true. The way see it:
    Low RP is any time that someone stays mostly in character but occasionally breaks the fourth wall by saying something about "Gamer moment". Even without breaking the fourth wall, breaking character is LRP. So if a bunch of marines start referring to each other as knights, the officers as nobility, and to the CO as "my liege" it's LRP.

Medium RP is when there are no active breaks from what the character would do in order to do something "for the memes". Light mil sim. You don't need a detailed backstory here, but you do need to at least mostly listen to orders.

High RP is that full mil sim, full universe knowledge goodness. Characters that have personalities and feel like real people. They have backstories and friends/enemies in the Corp with them. Those backstories are important, even if they rarely have a chance to be told. Bonus points for characters that are able to really capture that "80's/'Nam but in space" vibe. Bonus points if they know not to salute NCOs or refer to them as "sir."

I would consider someone joining the server to unga in silence to be MRP, albeit on the low end of MRP. So long as they're not actively detracting from the round with shenanigans it's fine. Sometimes I just want to join the server, follow the SL to the front, and bust some skulls. I won't begrudge anyone else if they want to do the same.

That's definitely not all inclusive, but does that seem about right to people? What would you define differently?
    Good answers. This is pretty close to my own definitions of RP.

HOWEVER. High RP is not the only place that you can have an actual character. It's entirely possible to have one that fits your definition of LRP or MRP, too. My current character is quite literally a dumbass raised on 80s action movies, so he acts exactly like you would expect an 80s action guy to be.

You can definitely have a personality that stands out even with only a little bit of effort, and having a 'memey' sort of character can still work. Characters should not feel like 'real people' in a game based on an action movie from the 80s. They should feel like characters from the Aliens movies and comics.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do miss First Contact RP sometimes.

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDexFiles View Post
    I do miss First Contact RP sometimes.
    This, I dont mind mixing First Contact and Expected Contact RP mode between rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as there are whitelists and higher expectations of roles such as CO etc., there'll be some form of MRP. That's the way I like it, since you have the option to do minimal RP if you wish to, being mute is normal for a large portion of PFCs, but you still have the opportunity to make a round memorable via character interaction. It's also why LRP should be avoided, since the odd off-character comment doesn't quiet yet ruin it, but when half of the people are talking like it was 2005 internet, it's just not worthwhile to try RPing.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere