User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should we have flying xenos?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 31.37%
  • No

16 31.37%
  • ummmmmm, depends on how you implement them and what they do

19 37.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xeno Flyers Y/N?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xeno Flyers Y/N?

Now I'm not saying I have specific ideas in mind.

TBH, I'm not even sure how you would implement it, I just want your opinion.
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You already have a burrower. In terms of gameplay, it is identical to flying. He "starts" somewhere, flies certain distance and "lands" on the ground. Any other "flyer" would be just a
    nerfed burrower with a twist, because burrower works in caves just as logical as he does in the open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    File me under "how the hell would you even implement it".

Come up with a sane way to represent tactical flight in a 2d spessmen game and we can talk about if it is a good idea to implement it.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by havokman View Post
    File me under "how the hell would you even implement it".

Come up with a sane way to represent tactical flight in a 2d spessmen game and we can talk about if it is a good idea to implement it.
    Easy. Burrower does exactly that. Imagine that its sprite has wings and instead of "burrowing" into the ground, he flies up. Exclude places it can go (those under a roof) and here you go, flying beno.
    Make it T3, allow it to move faster and further during that state. Allow it to "kidnap" marines, but has to lower altitude and do something akin to Crusher's charge, but instead of stunning, it grabs the marine into the sky simillary to "demon" from Metro 2033 game. Marine can try to ressist and with a help of a boot knife he can free himself and drop down to the ground, taking a bit of a damage and very short stun (like a second at best).
    It would be balanced by the fact that it would require skill to catch and drop prey in beno controlled teritory. You couldn't drag marine to caves during flight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like hours of fun harassing the FOB and dropping poor abducted fobbits right in the middle of the landing pad one second before the shuttle lands.

Edit: It can *fly* over cades, right?
    Last edited by UnwaveringGrey; 02-26-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, it's up to the devs and/or the community on how they'd want it.
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwaveringGrey View Post
    That sounds like hours of fun harassing the FOB and dropping poor abducted fobbits right in the middle of the landing pad one second before the shuttle lands.

Edit: It can *fly* over cades, right?
    You can't do it on purpose, it is against the rules to push players/corpses under the DS.
    And it could fly over the cades only in the high altitude. If it hits cade when charging at lower altitude, it gets fat stun and damage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    You can't do it on purpose, it is against the rules to push players/corpses under the DS.
    And it could fly over the cades only in the high altitude. If it hits cade when charging at lower altitude, it gets fat stun and damage.
    Like scraping it's (obviously) lightly armored belly wide open on the cades, possibly being stuck on its own innards? ewww.... also... FREE KILL!
    Last edited by Jackson T. Murphy; 03-04-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: I still suck at typing complete English words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    I should be fine then. I'm not pushing anyone under the dropship, I'm *dropping* them there. A subtle but meaningful distinction. Besides, at worst a ruling there would stop me from grabbing ranking Bravos and dropping them to get squished. We all know though that PFCs aren't really people anyway, so no interpretation of that rule would stop me from targeting them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this could work. Yes, the role would be similar to a burrower, minus the tunnels. But you could lose the sprite and use a shadow sprite, or just a moving 3x1 vertical, 3x1 horizontal patch of darkness to indicate where the thing is when it’s flying high. Low health and armor, because try flying with either of those. It would be able to come through glass ceilings, maybe get injured for doing so, and fly over buildings with glass ceilings, but be unable to do so over metal roofs and caves. It would either need a reasonably limited flight time, or marines would need to be able to shoot at it while it’s flying (maybe by targeting the shadow once they realize it’s a bug and not their flares going out). Obvious attacks would be to land, knock a marine down then a windup to latch onto them, and another windup to take off. Then you can drop, which would result in broken bones, depending on what part of them hits the ground first. And maybe do damage and knockdown if dropped on top of another marine? I dunno, it sounds like it could definitely be interesting, though utility would be severely limited once on the Alamayer, since it wouldn’t be able to fly. No idea what kind of secondary ability it would have for being grounded... maybe nothing, but if it’s T2, it should have something. Maybe a gust where it claps it’s wings together and knocks people back, knockdown would be a bit much, but still, knocking people back into fires and messing up lines of fire could be useful without being nutty & OP.