User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Company or Platoon? Platoon or Squad? Navy or Marines? Do these ranks make any sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought the same thing, but I figured nothing worthwhile would come of it if I said anything. I always just told myself that the ship side personal fell within the realm of the Navy and carried Navy pay grades, while combat personal (staff-Os are included without immediate combat roles) were Marines. Of course it can't be realistic to a T, who'd want to be the company clerk (or the myriad of tedious billets) required by an independent line company? Try telling the Delta Spec that First Sergeant said they need to complete their annual training before they can be secured to liberty as private.

I still don't like the term medic, I always try to refer them as Corpsman and I do wish that the devs would take action to change the title and rank. A corpsman's rank would be more appropriate as a HM3 (Hospital Man 3rd Class to you y'all who don't have the desire to devote time to learning American military hierarchy and doctrine), an equivalent to a Marine Corporal without the command responsibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha guys calm down what r u some nerds or something? xD

just log in and click some funny space dogs to make them horizontal LMAO xDDD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalore66 View Post
    haha guys calm down what r u some nerds or something? xD

just log in and click some funny space dogs to make them horizontal LMAO xDDD
    The man's finally loosing it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The USCM is a combined branch of the space fleet and its marines and the officer ranks loosely tie in with the navy ranks and marines follow marine ranks. They aren't directly tied to the navy nor the marines in real life and most of the rank names are kept as simple as possible for the average jarhead on our server. This is also the main reason why I added in easier to read rank numbers, names, and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to add to the confusion, but if you look at the force organisation in the source material it gets even weirder. A "squad" consists of four men. That's broken into two 2-man fireteams, one with the m56 and a rifleman while the other is the SL and a rifleman. Two squads make up an eight man "section", which might be the British word for a squad? Two sections together with a lieutenant & 1-2 synths make up a rifle platoon. That's just 17 men (19 if you count the synths). So, using modern numbers, most squads sit around platoon strength. That 56 man Delta squad is almost two platoons. But using in universe numbers says that on high-pop most squads are actually sitting at COMPANY strength.

Which kinda makes sense when you think about it? It's like logical troop organisation but filtered through that 80's business eye for sleaze and profits. Shipping men and material through space is expensive. Sure, you're gonna send that colony your best "company" to deal with their problem. But if that company is 35 men + 5 synths instead of 100 men + some support staff you save a LOT of money. Nevermind the fact that they're less than half as effective. That's pure 80's logic right there.

My personal goal is to get Charlie squad to stop saluting NCOs and calling them "sir". I'll beat that habit out of them yet...

SRC: https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/United_S...l_Marine_Corps
    Last edited by UnwaveringGrey; 02-26-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
    The USCM is a combined branch of the space fleet and its marines and the officer ranks loosely tie in with the navy ranks and marines follow marine ranks. They aren't directly tied to the navy nor the marines in real life and most of the rank names are kept as simple as possible for the average jarhead on our server. This is also the main reason why I added in easier to read rank numbers, names, and so on.
    You can't make me change my head-canon! DAMN NAVY PUKES! KEEPIN THE MARINES DOWN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MP Conversations ending with: "And you do not calling NCOs SIR."

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drover View Post
    I still don't like the term medic, I always try to refer them as Corpsman and I do wish that the devs would take action to change the title and rank. A corpsman's rank would be more appropriate as a HM3 (Hospital Man 3rd Class to you y'all who don't have the desire to devote time to learning American military hierarchy and doctrine), an equivalent to a Marine Corporal without the command responsibility.
    I mean, you can certainly do that, but 98% of the player base are just gonna be confused by what a corpsman (or more fittingly, corpseman) is and just keep calling for medics and docs.

The important thing about the ranks is that they make sense to the players. Most of whom I reckon have no personal experience with the US military. And they do that the way they are right now.
    You got grunts (PVT PFC), you got important squad guys (LCPL), you got bossmans (SGT), you got command guys (LT), you got big command guy (LCDR) and you got the captain.
    That makes sense. That’s easy to understand.
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wondered this too, especially when I was thinking about why marines would follow marine rankings like LCPL and then officers would be ranked like Ensign, Commander and stuff. I guess it makes sense though, cause the line officers on the Almayer run the ship itself and are likely part of the navy anyway.

on another note -- why are one of the roles for the vehicle crewman SFC (sergeant first class)?? that's an army rank only afaik... marine equivalent would be GySgt. just curious.
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vispainius View Post
    MP Conversations ending with: "And you do not calling NCOs SIR."
    Yes sir!