User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The coming fleet battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The coming fleet battle

So recently this was announced by an admin for an event, giving us this picture.

Fleet Preview.jpg

So, I thought to look up basically what all of these bloody things and 2-letter designations are, so instead of looking them up for yourself, here's a rough list:

Large Crafts:

AO: Oiler / portable gas station (support ship) (vulnerable)

CV: Carrier, weak in general to direct fire, easy to detect.

BB: Battleship, probably has good anti-missile lasers/munitions but lacks in Anti-small-craft fire, easy to detect.

CG: Cruiser (guided missile), good munitions, probably has good anti-small-craft fire, but probably not very maneuverable, probably easy to detect.

FF: Frigate (Between Destroyer and Cruiser), probably has a good anti-small-craft and munitions, but no anti-missile lasers/munitions, probably a little harder to detect.

DD: Destroyer, Good munitions, but probably only for close range, good anti-missile lasers/munitions, but little to no anti-small-craft munitions, Hard to detect, Good at detecting Submarines by perhaps revealing themselves by pinging an area.

FS: Fleet Submarine, Like a destroyer, but sacrifices anti-missile lasers/munitions for less size, more munition range, and even more difficulty to detect. I'm actually kinda scared to go up against these things because of how hard they will be to detect.

Small Crafts:

F: Fighter

A/B: Attack Craft / Bomber (kinda the same thing)

EA: Corvette/mix of fighter and bomber

So ... now that you know the designations, let's go to the fleet's matching up:

American/USCM/USSN:

AO's: 1
    CV's: 1, with total carrier group of 4?
    BB's: 0
    CG's: 2
    FF's: 3
    DD's: 3
    FS': 0

F's: 2
    B's: 1
    EA's: 1

UPPN:

AO's: 0
    CV's: 1, with total carrier group of 2?
    BB's: 1
    CG's: 1
    FF's: 0
    DD's: 1
    FS': 3, I'm guessing the UPPN will likely rely HEAVILY on these since I don't see much else that would give them an advantage.

F's: 1
    B's: 1
    EA's: 0

In all honesty, I am REALLY excited to see this event play out.

Psst, devs ...

psst

If you want any help with the event like keeping track of where things are like a record keeper

hit me up, I'll gladly forego the round for it.
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, no one is excited for this event ...

*cry

Agent X41833N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looking at that matchup makes me think either the UPP has something up their sleeve or whoever’s commanding that battle group has something of a death wish. Assuming the USN/USCN/USSF can withstand the opening missile salvo the UPP seem screwed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy shit when is this event playing out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun-liquid View Post
    Holy shit when is this event playing out?
    Currently unknown at this time, admins have only teased it at us.

Agent X41833N

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be HvH on colony during the night with scopes, suppresors, nade spam and UPP Comandos cloacked + OP Combat Synths. Who would be excited?

Normal HvH during the day on the colony, less stun nades, more HEFA, scopes only for Sniper/Scout spec and also few for the opposite side? Exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    snip
    Figures. While I'm actually interested for more info, I kinda imagined while Marines were doing their ground OP, personell on the Almayer would be RPing Fleet Combat, maybe some CTs loading up on the Torpedos, the CE manuevering the ship via Astro Nav and MTs repairing any holes or something.

All in all its gonna be as Cabal said.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eww, ship combat, unless it plays out more like halo's fleet battles rather than star wars's, I'm gonna skip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll definitely be great but on the other side of things. Cabal makes a HUGE point.

And a dedicated record keeper would probably be a good idea. Might also be a good idea for the people responsible for this to plan a rough idea of what the event will be.

Not railroading just:
    If X happens, we'll do Y.
    If Z happens, we'll do C.

Don't need to go overboard but I can certainly see some ways it could need preplanning.
    IF COs are leading a individual ship on both Opfor and Bluefor sides then you are gonna need somebody trustworthy who not only can pull these people all together in (IDK a discord channel?Place In game on the map?) to determine what's going on along with a sort of blank slate map, but also some guidelines. In any case half-assing that setup won't work.

More simply, you could also play it like normal HvH w/Cabal's suggestion (as usually should be in place) and add in the semi-new idea of fleet battle by adding "RP announcements" related to the USS Almayer's position in the battle, role, what's happening, and occasionally stuff like incoming missiles or actual damage the Almayer receives (reflected by random explosions on mostly non-vital ship areas w/ some in more well-travelled areas to stir marines up and immerse).

Additionally, ability for the CO of that round to have the Almayer do shit in addition to its Admiral (admin) -appointed role in this scenario would also be interesting but not necessary.

---
    Background HC announcements that are well-worded and not-half-assed but also not over-lengthy would also be smart. The timer on Ungas getting confused - or worse - Command getting confused starts ticking the moment they load up in a HvH round that requires extensive understanding of the "Scenario" and "Contextual Information". That can be fixed easily with a simply HC announcement and/or UPP Hail.

in the proposed scenario of a fleet battle. I'd say, give a HC announcement describing simply and concisely the very minimal basics of what's happening. Then just before the Marine Drop or after briefing you give a UPP "Open" Hail saying something that essentially answers the UPP response of why the USCM is above the planet/station (albeit with a UPP point-of-view and propaganda-style speech).

Occasionally, HC announcements reporting a ship destruction wouldn't be out of taste either. Just avoid making these too frequent/common both in the amount of ships destroyed and in the relative frequency in which players get these announcements.

You don't want the "Space battle" to be a 100% battle to the death with constant announcements about what's happening but you should also provide some feelings of "OH GOD ARE WE LOSING?" mixed with "FUCK YEAHS" of one or two times UPP ships are destroyed/crippled/retreat
    Last edited by Vispainius; 02-27-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minor thing, I'm thinking that EA stands for Electronic Warfare, sensor and radar jamming type of stuff. It's analogous to the prefix that the EA-18G (Growler) has. Makes sense to me. And presumably the boats with the toilet bowl looking symbol are the CVs?