7 7.22%
  • Too many maps / maps difficult to learn

0 0%
  • Too few maps / maps too simple

2 2.06%
  • Server population too high / too low

8 8.25%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most pressing issue with Colonial Marines in your opinion?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destrok View Post

- rule 0
    Come to think about it... This might be the biggest "hidden" problem.
    I checked few most populated servers on BYOND and none of them has rule like "Admemes and Mods can break the rules as much as they want, unless it breaks their vague 'Do not abuse your power', or 'Preserve the RP and enjoyment of the server'".
    They have rules like "Listen to the Admins", but this isn't literally Rule 0, like a Commandment 0. that would say that god is allowed to break those rules.

Why is that, may I ask some staff? I really never thought about it and I'm not naugty boy on the server, so I never had any issue with that.

Commandment 0. (as I decided to call this "rule" from now) has to be relic of Apop and Mister Alt era. Relic that we should put into museum, to study the behaviour of Neanderthals, not to obey it.

Like all of those really shitty Ebents, those that fuck marines over shipside (fucking PMC squads permakilling entire command) and do nothing to benos (and the opposite, because I know they both existed). You can't hold anyone responsible for that, because it doesn't break vague terms of "Preserve the RP and enjoyment of the server" (by the way, it looks like it was written without consideration for whitelists, because there is literally example like this "a commander killed a marine unjustly" to when you can heavily influence the game, admemes can't do shit now to whitelists [unless it's CO just running around gunning everyone, or Pred SDing in breifing], you have to fill the report when the round is over).

Also: "Do not try to heavily influence the game unless it is for very good reasoning such as for an event..." You can heavily influence the game in any way, shape, or form, then call it "event" and you are clear to defend yourself from any report.

By the way: I'm not calling current Staff "Tyrants", or "Bad People", but they do exist under prehistoric Leaf Man and Apoop Commandment 0. Something should change in my opinion.
    Last edited by CABAL; 02-29-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Also: "Do not try to heavily influence the game unless it is for very good reasoning such as for an event..." You can heavily influence the game in any way, shape, or form, then call it "event" and you are clear to defend yourself from any report.
    Yeah this is exactly what they do (see: spawning 2 Ravengers/50 Predaliens/a marine SEAL squad for no reason, then claiming that it's an 'event')
    Waiting for lagless CM
    Manuel Conrad - Human
    Alexander Keys - Human (Command)
    SA-D5 - Xenomorph
    Har'Kittak - Yautja
    Thomas - Synthetic

I'm awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lag tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I share the opinion of most responders (as of the moment) in thinking lag is the worst issue. It is a heavy detriment to the core gameplay. I think everyone has gotten used to it over the years, and it would take their breath away if they could actually play a game of CM with zero lag.

It would also probably fix a lot of other problems by proxy. Team-fire and team blocking would probably not be as big of an issue if not for lag. "one-hits" and/or dying instantly would probably not be as big of an issue without lag. High server population wouldn't matter much either - in fact it would become a purely positive thing for most people.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can handle everything else but the constant performance issues are driving me mad.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the #1 problem is the dev team listens to whiners too much

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    the #1 problem is the dev team listens to whiners too much
    Next to lag, I half agree with this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaddishRed View Post
    We can't expect to enforce MRP on this MRP server.
    Yea, god forbid...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destrok View Post

- huge maps with complex layouts keep being created despite players very clearly preferring the smaller maps (LV, BR) to the large ones
    Players actually prefer easy and mediocre shit all the time, so if you actually listen to their extreme whining you'll end up with shitty maps and shitty gameplay and respawns (because we dont like being ded for 1 hour, its unfun bawwwww!) and tons of dumbed down mechanics. This is how it always works for online roleplaying games.

It has been known in the RPG development community at least since the era of Ultima Online that players can't be trusted with some of the majors decisions and actually have to be forced to endure certain things (permadeath, complex maps and so on) in order to preserve the integrity and the quality of the game.

With this amount of whining from people who have no clue about good game design I'm surprised we don't have multiple respawns yet, and that all maps are not yet recolored versions of LV.
    Last edited by mandalore66; 02-29-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalore66 View Post
    Players actually prefer easy and mediocre shit all the time, so if you actually listen to their extreme whining you'll end up with shitty maps and shitty gameplay and respawns (because we dont like being ded for 1 hour, its unfun bawwwww!) and tons of dumbed down mechanics. This is how it always works for online roleplaying games.

It has been known in the RPG development community at least since the era of Ultima Online that players can't be trusted with some of the majors decisions and actually have to be forced to endure certain things (permadeath, complex maps and so on) in order to preserve the integrity and the quality of the game.

With this amount of whining from people who have no clue about good game design I'm surprised we don't have multiple respawns yet, and that all maps are not yet recolored versions of LV.
    So you're telling me you prefer the laggy maps that make rounds last roughly 4 hours of painful chokepoint holds?

The reason I and most other players prefer small maps is simple. They encourage shorter rounds and shorter rounds mean less lag. It also gives ambush caste players less opportunities to pick off marines, which is a good thing because it takes basically 0 skill to play ambush castes (except runner)
    Waiting for lagless CM
    Manuel Conrad - Human
    Alexander Keys - Human (Command)
    SA-D5 - Xenomorph
    Har'Kittak - Yautja
    Thomas - Synthetic

I'm awesome