User Tag List

Thread: Bad Mortars/CAS/OB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Mortars/CAS/OB

We have got to address this and get a fix, its always been bad but its getting so much worse. I played three rounds today that resulted in me on the frontline cades getting directly hit by a mortar, along with a half a dozen others in each instance. This is just advanced briefing bombings at this point. All of our mortarmen cant be that goddamn inept. We need to whitelist the mortar or something, because its now killed me far far more than normal everyday Alpha rifle fire. Stop turning a blind eye to inept mortarmen every round. Literally the admin response was "Its part of the game" when I mentioned how mortar team hasnt killed a single xeno but has wounded 10+ marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty40 View Post
    inept mortarmen
    Framing the operators of mortars as the source of the problem gives me the impression that you may lack some perspective. The engineer operating the mortar is fed coordinates by JTAC spotters. The engineer generally has little context as to where those coordinates are, and cannot be blamed for a spotter calling in rounds too close. To that end, the mortar is also fairly inaccurate, and has a greater spread in the fall of shot than a lot of spotters realize (just like most SLs fail to realize how large the AoE of an OB is, but that's an entirely different issue). If you find being hit by bad mortar salvos to be too much, then I must congratulate you on your luck. Clearly you have yet to experience the joy of being gibbed by an OB because the wrong amount of fuel was loaded or an SO accidentally mixed up supply and OB coordinates.
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mortar is pretty accurate if you don't hide it all the way back at the FOB and instead put it halfway between the FOB and front line in a sensible and defended location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outcast nailed it. Blame the spotters and not those who fire the weapon. They only go off coordinates given to them along with an explanation of those coordinates, which is often lacking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most powerful weapons in the game are completely reliant on the input of some PVT with a JTAC kit. What kind of megabrain logic is that? Artillery and CAS needs an overhaul. Such as when the target is lazed it gives the mortar team the ability to see like a couple tiles around the coordinates to double check their fire. OBs arent usually an issue because they get double checked. If you repeatedly OB a marine fob you're gonna get fucking role banned but mortars can hammer out shit in all day and the admins clearly don't care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that way. Do us all a favour and start calling good coordinates to lead by example 60-40. Show us how it should be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Ausrine said. If you are upset that people are doing it wrong, then be that changing force. Be a spotter and make boilers salt in dchat because they keep returning to the same spot.
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mortars, like most things, are very good when done properly. Is getting hit by a mortar round worse than that one PFC who bounces a HEFA grenade off of another marine and blows up your medical checkpoint? Probably. But mortars rarely happen with the frequency of grenade snafus. People who are bad at it need more training, not to be excluded from it entirely. Otherwise it’ll only be a few months before no one can do it. It’s a right shame that there aren’t any “boot camp” events set up now and again. For some, the learning curve is steep. Like the tank operator who has more runover marine kills than Xeno kills. Do we want that guy to stop playing? Or do we want him to get better? I kinda want them to drive better, because I have no interest in driving the tank, but I’d like to stop getting mashed to paste anytime I get within 5 tiles of the thing.

I’m sure I had a point here before I started rambling... OK, let’s go with: constructive criticism and ask the admins for occasional training events. Then we get to build the community up rather than make people who aren’t as robust as dualwielded-buckshottie-McPB feel like they should go elsewhere.

Unless they’re doing it on purpose. If they’re doing in on purpose, skin them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XO here, confirming good hits.