Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yayyay007 - Moderator Application

Moderator Application

Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Yayyay007

CM Character?
    Koki 'Koi' Mamoru, Brian (Synth), TT-3T.

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    EST.

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    I don't work right IRL now, so it's around 50-60.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I know the way it works, but I've never really been a moderator for a server of this scope. I can't remember the name of the server I was on, but it was mostly a sandbox server. Way too long ago to remember.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    I do. I used to really frequent Paradise Station and Baystation (which I do infrequently).

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Nope.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Never been banned if I recalled. All I've ever gotten is notes; but I could have one hiding in there that I've forgotten about. EORG from 3-6 whatever years is probably lurking in there and I don't know it.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Yeah, I think Yogstation. But that was 2-ish years or more ago? I don't even touch it anymore. Some other small-time servers that've gone out. Probably 3 days, even jbans. But that was when I was younger, and I can assure you, that as an adult, I'm not my kid self.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yeah. I like to communicate when possible; even if it can be a lil' hard to make myself specific; but I'm more than ready to convey my thoughts and concerns with others.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Depending on severity, it can change.

If it was a single accidental shot that gets taken to IC matters--such as when MPs arrest him, there's no need for involvement with an IC issue.

But if it was beyond the scope of an 'accident', PM both players, pull logs, look at notes.

If it's an old player known to grief or has recent notes, it'll likely need punishment.

If it's a new player, they probably didn't mean to do it, and just direct them to Quick Guide and ask they don't repeat this again; tell them that they're not supposed to shoot friendlies and make sure they familiarize themselves with 'who's the baddies' and 'who's the friendlies' kind of deal.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Defer to them to go to player reports, make sure they take screenshots/video evidence. Otherwise, not really in my hands.

Though, I can help with pulling logs from the round just to make sure the report is help settled.

Ultimately up to the Yautja Council.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    PM them, and ask them 'Hi, are you new? Click on the boldened text to respond to me.'

Once they respond, and confirm, then I can just give them the link to the Quick Guide, and answer questions they have (if any). Although I'm not a mentor, new players still should get help if they need it.

If it's a old player or someone familiar (by note history most likely), then I shouldn't really bother; but this is assuming they're a newbie 100%.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Firmly warn them to stop being catty, and then if they don't stop; it's likely a 3 hour in-the-corner ban until they learn to take a chillpill. Even if they want to speak to an 'admin+', I was the one who took the report, so they've gotta deal with me.

Though, trying to counter rudeness with calm firmness is the best thing for this case. Some people just get heated, and that's normal, we all experience a bit of rage at video games.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Check the notes of the player:

If it's an old player, they should know better. Perhaps not noteworthy if it's not repeated in their notes (or a constant problem), and just force a name change.

If it's a new player, explain to them that they can't have the name due to naming rules (not being celebrities, known people, famous movie characters, etc.) and that it has to be something made of their own convention.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue. Unless they run down to the planet and die in a dumb way, it doesn't really breach the rules. Though, it wouldn't hurt to check their notes just incase of them doing such a thing in the future. New players tend to hide amongst timelocked jobs and forget the rules, and that's just what happens.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    First, inform the survivor that due to rule changes, no survivors can be hostile to marines until further notice. Tell them that they should pay more attention to the rules, perhaps note them for further reference. If it's a repeat issue, it could likely extend up to a ban from the survivor role entirely (which if I'm correct, moderators can't do, so it'd have to go up the chain).

Perhaps then, just leave it as it is afterwards, and watch over the survivor's later actions.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    PM the MP in question, and ask them for their reasoning. Also, check logs.

If the MP had correct reasons, inform the other player of it, and let it go.

If the MP was in the wrong, tell them that they have to release the other player, and give them a note. The MP role is not taken lightly, and locking people up willy-nilly is not a good thing. Especially perma.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    If I'm able to, either use QM announcement or HC announcements to force both sides to charge at each other. Something along the lines of,
    QM
    "My children. Why are you so shamefully disgracing me? Just go and perish already. Take as many with you and honor yourselves again."

Or for marines, subtle the acting CO or CO to make an announcement and get the round to a close.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    If I'm playing in the midst of the round, I don't think I'm supposed to be handling IC matters. So I'll just have to ahelp myself, provide logs and leave it to the other staff who are on the job at the time.

It wouldn't be bad to record what I'm seeing or start OBS up though.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Tell them that, as a CLF (and is an antagonist), they are not immune to being shot and killed by a Marine, and vice-versa. No reason to punish this, since the CLF and the Marines are HOSTILE factions towards each other.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Likely an IC issue, until the point that it gets a bit bad.

If they're stealing vital items (sentry crates, lifesaver bags), then I should probably step in and tell them to stop that. Checking note history and et cetera, it'd be best to tell them, while they can have fun, it shouldn't be at this much of an expense of others, and plus--it can completely block out the jobs of other people.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Tell them that this does not follow violence escalation and they'll be getting a note for it (unless notes reveal conistent history). It goes from shoving/punching, high tier melee, then guns.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I don't know if moderators can marinesay, but if I can--then I'd definitely tell them that they have to A. stop attacking CiC, B. need to ahelp the mutiny to form and get approved, and C. mutiny rules (5 people and a good reason).

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    While racism is not approved, IC racism is alright aslong as it doesn't cross certain OOC boundaries. Aslong as it's lighthearted, and not obscenely dark or hateful, there's no need to intervene; just inform the player that it's not crossing boundaries.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Rule 4.

Check their notes, most likely a long week-long ban, or even a perma at that. I don't think mods can give perma so, it might have to go up the chain.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Check the player's notes, and then it'll probably go in this kinda way:

1. New player. Tell them that, as a Larva, they are super squishy, and shouldn't do that. Maybe a note, maybe not, all depending on whether or not they seem like they wouldn't repeat it again.

2. Old player. Tell them that they know better, and give them a note (if it's consistent behaviour, it can be upped to a small ban, maybe even xenoban depending on severity).

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    PM the player that LRP as a xeno in hivemind isn't acceptable standards for an MRP server.

'REEE' and 'AYYLMAO' aren't acceptable standards of RP, and insulting the Queen is a big no-no since they're a hivemind.

Though, new players should be given a bit of a grain of salt, since maybe they didn't know. Specifically tell them to look at the Roleplay Standards section of rules all the way at the bottom.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Tell the player that it's perfectly fine for them to say that. The xenomorphs have their own special language for things, and the actual speech of xenomorphs is just their own 'English'. Players aren't by any means forced to say 'bird' or 'metal box in the sky'.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Tell the Command player that the existence of xenomorphs is not known until after first contact. Tell them to reiterate their words, and not to break this 'meta' line until after they can visibly or audibly confirm the presence of the aliens groundside. If they say 'CLF' or 'UPP' that's fine in it's own way, but flat-out saying 'xenomorphs' when they (even though known) are not a common occurrence enough to warrant that.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Tell them that they CAN'T kill friendlies under this circumstance. Even if it's RP, it doesn't follow violence standards. They should've went from pushing/punching, to high-tier, to guns. That's how it should've gone. While roleplay is the core of the server, they still have to follow the way violence has to escalate.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Tell them that they need to cool down in a PM, and if they persist, they're most likely going to get hit with a 3 hour in-the-corner ban for constant behaviour, which will also be a note.

Also, checking their note history would help, if it's conistent toxic behaviour to staff after administrative action, it'll likely become worse on them or longer.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Tell him that while it's unfortunate he crashed or otherwise, there's nothing protecting him from being infected by xenos while SSD.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I don't think it's in my way to really berate fellow staff for the way they do things, but I can always inform the person one head's up from them about the action. The best thing to do is remember that humans make mistakes, and if they need help; share it, don't be obtuse, and if it's a bit to wrong, the bigger honcho can easily correct the mistake.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Not really my place to argue. Plus, further adding to arguements is just going to end in nothing but mudslinging. If anything, leave it up to the senior staff to deal with, with logs/screenshots of the conversation.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I think I'm active enough on server that I kind of want to play a better part. I probably could've started out with mentor, but I'm kinda wanting to try my odds with moderation staff. I'm not the best at knowing these things right now--but I know how to deal with other people, and I try to improve myself. Sometimes I'm a bit bash, but even the bashiest of people can make for nice moderators. I just want to help a community that I honestly enjoy quite a bit; even if I'm sometimes a bit bitter, and other times chilled.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Patience. People are hard to deal with, so you've got to have a lot of time on your hands before you go wailing all over them for ignoring you, or not understanding. People sometimes never understand something until it's repeated five times over. That's okay. We're human, we're not perfect. It's in our blood to not know things until it's been battered into our knowledge. I like to think that I've got a bunch of patience, especially when dealing professionally with other people.

Anything else you
    I've never really been a moderator before, but if I'm on the right track, I'd be more than happy to learn it's in's-and-out's. Even then, I just like to hear criticism, improve off of it, and become an even better person. I don't try actively to be an ass, and when I do, I sometimes don't realize it. Maybe I'm a bit blind, but I like to think that I'm just having a chilled game with 70-80 other players in different places, playing Marine and Xeno, and more and more. Having fun is the core of this game, aswell as a bit of neat RP.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good history, decent amount of hours.

Your answers are satisfactory with the exception of these two:
    A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    You do not give them logs of the round until the report has been posted. Especially if it's an ongoing round. Trial Mods are not to deposit logs or notes on the forums at all unless explicitly given permission by the Mod Manager.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    If they follow the rules of escalation and RP properly, they are allowed to.

Other answers have some very minor things that could've been added to improve the answer, however it does not matter too much.

I am willing to support this application
    +1
    Ex- Predator Council Senator, Mentor Manager, Discord Moderator and Moderator Trainer
    My wall of medals: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Discord: Novacti#0505

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Novacti View Post
    Good history, decent amount of hours.

Your answers are satisfactory with the exception of these two:

You do not give them logs of the round until the report has been posted. Especially if it's an ongoing round. Trial Mods are not to deposit logs or notes on the forums at all unless explicitly given permission by the Mod Manager.

If they follow the rules of escalation and RP properly, they are allowed to.

Other answers have some very minor things that could've been added to improve the answer, however it does not matter too much.

I am willing to support this application
    +1
    Whoops, yeah.

I should've clarified. I wouldn't wanted to say that I'd give them logs straight up there (which would break round meta etc. since reports are filed after round anyhow). Thank you regardless for pointing that out, and clarifying even further that I /shouldn't/ do it either way too.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Player is fine, app is fine, activity is fine, +1 is fine. I hope to see you on the team soon
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other mods have gone over the points mostly I don't mind ya getting a shot at a trial +1

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for applying!

Novacti went over the needed points and after some thought I see no problem having you on the mod team!

+1 from me and hope to see ya as a stinky mod later on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

All points have been addressed.. Good luck.
    Ex-Senior Admin
    Ex-Yautja Senator

Marine - Paul 'Ordo' Starr
    Synthetic - Ordo
    Yautja - Ordorak An'th

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. Just gotta say.

The positive responses from current staff is overwhelmingly welcome. I still don't mind if anyone has any major criticism they're witholding--I'm more than mature of a person to accept my shortcomings if anyone thinks I'm lacking.

Either way, thanks a ton. Hope to see y'all if this ends up making it into Trial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No outstanding flaws or issues that haven't already been addressed and seemingly understood. Anything else can easily be solved in trial stage.

+1 from me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that you had previously been staff on Gmod? Just wanted to clarify if that rings a bell for ya!
    +1 from me though, very well written and nothing really makes me want to say something that hasn't been addressed. So I'd like to see you.