Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fortelian - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Fortelian

Player Name You Use Most?
    Salvador Kepplinger

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    //showthrea...ight=Fortelian - Planetside without authorization; Job ban (MP/CMP-Appealed)

//showthrea...or-Application - Mentor App

//showthrea...er-Application - CO App

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    I have split my answer into three answers, in regards to each question in this response, they are as follows:

How should BE be used? How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? A BE is not a CO's answer to every problem. They end a person's round and you need to take into account what someone did to deserve that. Even then, if someone does something that is BE worthy in pen+paper, it may not be reasonable to BE them. If someone shoots you a bunch on accident, that is FF, not them trying to kill you, and while technically it is BE worthy, it doesn't make much sense. A CO who plans on performing a BE should be willing and able to defend their position, ICly and in a report.

What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew?
    I think, circumstances that would warrant a BE would be if the crew member was causing serious damage to the ship, its crew, or the operation as a whole. If someone was trying to encourage others to overthrow your command, a BE would technically be permeable, however, it would be best if you let the MPs do their job and arrest them. If someone in your presence started to attempt to kill or severely injure someone, a BE would be reasonable, seeing as MPs may not be able to respond in time, because if you take too long waiting for them to arrive, the damage can be done, and it would be too late. The BE function is meant to stop events that might derail a round if immediate action were not taken. Such as a suicide bomb on CIC or req that would nearly disable the marines.

Where do you think the BE mechanic differs from regular execution and why? A BE is an execution where the CO alone is judge, jury, and executioner. It is on their authority that they carry out the BE. No long investigations by the MPs. No firing squad. As long as the CO judges a BE worthy, they may proceed with it, but should be able to defend their decision afterwards and may face repercussions due to their decision. In addition, an announcement is made after the BE, where in the case of a regular execution, the announcement is made beforehand.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, an insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff: Salvador would run his ship like a cowboy almost. Being born in Michigan, and risen in Texas, he has a taste of the Northeast and the Southwest. He knows a lot of stuff, and is willing to teach those beneath him. If he teaches all his CIC officers how to do the very best they can, then their capability to command and manage squads and the ship as a whole will increase, and thus, it shall be done. Instead of ridiculing someone for being new to CIC or bad, it is better to teach them, to increase their robustness in command and overall increase the power of the USCM. Salvador looks for events in a battle that have happened and uses them as examples to better his men.

Insubordinate req? Well, they might just be new. I'd probably send my SEA to help 'em or another req staff. If they really were doing it knowingly and intentionally, then I'd consider a pardon if they changed their ways and started listening to me, but if they continued to be insubordinate, I'd have MPs brig 'em accordingly. I might have to have my synth act as req, or my XO if I have enough SOs.

Insubordinate engineering? Well, seeing as they are mostly important roundstart, I could probably have my XO/synth go down and set up the reactors, as well as the SEA to see if he can help them learn, in case they don't know how. First, however, I'd give them a warning unless, of course, they are committing a major crime. Such as not setting up the engine, which would incur Neglect of Duty. If I had to send my XO/synth, some MPs would be coming too, to perform the arrests.

Insubordinate MPs? Well, that's against the rules. I'd remind them of this LOOC and warn them ICly to start listening. They might just think I made a bad call, or think someone shouldn’t be arrested for something, but the law is the law, and they have to follow it. If they don't, then I'd have the other MPs arrest them accordingly.

Insubordinate command? They might be new, so I'd have my SEA help them if they were. If they weren't, well, the most common reason for a CIC staff to be insubordinate would be if they had a better idea and told my men to do that instead. If they thought they had a better idea, then I'd hear 'em out. Who knows, maybe it could help the OP. Although, I have had to pull some SOs away from their computers to get their attention, and that shouldn’t be happening. They need to pay attention, and a reminder of this wouldn’t hurt. If they were being insubordinate just to be insubordinate, then it's off to the brig. I'd consider a pardon if I didn't have a lot of CIC staff, but if one of four SOs, was being insubordinate, then yeah. Brig time.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    What is the job of a commander? ICly, the job of a commander is to draw up battle plans, give orders, as well as update orders based on new developments in a battle, and ensure those orders are followed. In addition to this, commanders need to ensure that the shipside staff are operating smoothly, so the groundside marines have a good OP and can continue to fight to the best of their ability. A commander needs to make sure that req is getting the marines supplies, medical is healing the marines and moving bodies, engineering is engineering, ensure that the OP is running smoothly in general, as well as handle any major issues that may come up, shipside.

However, if it comes to it, I myself may need to do one of these things, such as repair an engine or send down some metal. So I will do what I can to keep the OP running, and always use the tablet, so I can do these things and still communicate with the groundside marines with updates and tac map to ensure communication between the squads to keep them informed for the best possible execution of tactics.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    What could be added to improve the CO role? To improve the CO role, I think that the smoking pipe that spawns in their office should burn for longer. I know that this is a very miniscule change but I feel it could really help immersion to increase roleplay. When you smoke, you really feel like those old movie characters which makes you act like them. It really gives you that “old” feel. Almost like Star Trek, but with Colonial Marines, and I feel like that could really improve roleplay among captains who may have declined in their roleplay standards, as well as encourage more roleplay for new captains. In addition to this, I think the ceremonial blade should get some cool ability. Maybe like it let's you order a "Charge!!!" that makes marines move faster and deal more damage, as long as you raise the sword, or something cool like that. Similar to how issuing orders has an effect.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    If I were whitelisted I could contribute my tactical and marine law (as well as SOP) knowledge to the crew in command and help them see how best to act. I like to always hear out other forms of tactics, and battle plans, and combine these ideas and use them. With a mixed form of tactical awareness, as well as only getting better, I believe I could help the marines get more victories by using these combined tactics, because at the end of the day, it's marines vs. aliens. In addition to this, with the fact that CO has more authority than the XO, I would be able to do more and expand on roleplay, (I am not saying the XO can't roleplay, but it always seems that events happen to captains, not commanders, and captains have more flexible choices for roleplay because of their authority and IC knowledge over other departments) to overall benefit the round and jobs of people like the CL who rely on roleplay to have a fun time.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen you as XO enough to +1
    Last edited by diedsniper; 03-08-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diedsniper View Post
    Seen you as XO enough to +1
    Thanks for the response partner.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing player and an amazing member of the community. I have had countless interactions with Salvador and he has an amazing personality. I have seen this man in Command roles quite often and I have full confidence they will make for a great CO.

Please consider that Salvador is a very active member of the community and is an amazing player both to interact with and to cooperate with.
    This will be an easy +1 from me, I wish you the best of luck in getting whitelisted.
    Aden Cooper

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've made some great strides since your last app and it shows. I'll ask you a couple questions before giving my verdict, however.

1. You're notified that an MP has been violating SOP and arrest procedures. Eventually you manage to track them down and it is immediately obvious they are new and have not read Marine Law at all. What do you do?

2. Following briefing, the only PO that's awake refuses to fly the dropship and the marines are getting antsy. What do you do?

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response Cooper, and as for screaming idiot's questions...

Q.1. You're notified that an MP has been violating SOP and arrest procedures. Eventually you manage to track them down and it is immediately obvious they are new and have not read Marine Law at all. What do you do?

A.1. I would have my SEA or CMP, take them into the brig or respective office and sit them down to talk about it, in addition to posting a marine law link, SOP link, and rules link in the LOOC and encourage them to look at those. Even if they are new, they should know the rules and marine law/SOP if they want to play that role, but SS13 is a complex game, so my SEA/CMP could talk to them about marine law and how SOP works, and how they need to enforce it. I'd probably have them observe the CMP and just follow him around to see what he does. If it was a serious infringement, such as beating down marines with a baton to arrest them, then I would have them arrested, however, I would still have my SEA/CMP talk to them so that they can understand it better.

Q.2. Following briefing, the only PO that's awake refuses to fly the dropship and the marines are getting antsy. What do you do?

A.2. I would talk to them over JTAC or command channel or in person and directly order them to fly the dropship down. If they refused to do so after a direct order I would have MPs charge them with max time for insubordination and 15 minutes for neglect of duty (25 total). Then I would remotely send down the dropship with the CIC console. If they were let out and once again refused to fly it down I would have the MPs arrest them for max time on insubordination and 25 minutes for neglect of duty (max time, without the demotion). If they refused a third time, then they are just asking to get demoted, and I would have MPs give 'em max time for insubordination, and max punishment for neglect of duty. And if it turns out they don't know how to fly the dropship, then I would just tell them. I'd hope they wouldn't refuse to fly the dropship down without a good reason.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you as XO quite a bit. I'm leaning strongly towards a +1, but first I wanna ask something I asked another CO applicant:

Not that many CO players care so much about winning, but I think being able to win rounds--i.e. your presence being a contribution to the marine's chances in some salient sense--is an important aspect of being a CO.

Briefly describe a round in which you played XO and lost, and diagnose the causes of said loss.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell ye what 'appened. It all started like this:

I was XO with two SOs or maybe one, and it was a CORSAT round. I had given some basic orders. FOB, scout, the usual, when Delta engaged heavily Biodome Gamma, they were pushing north and starting to break in to the CORSAT academy. I re-routed forces there because it sounded like they needed help, and when I checked the OW console it confirmed it. I had the APC move there to support the attack as well as Alpha while Charlie was pushing north partially through admin and medical to start an attack from the east. In the end Delta lost and when I reviewed the casualties it was staggering. Delta, Alpha, and Charlie had managed to get mutilated even with support from Bravo. After that long engagement there was nothing to do but evacuate, the numbers were critically low. We evacuated and I had to cryo after that, but I can assume that the marines lost the shipside battle. When I got back on after some time I checked out discord and it turns out that the marines did not have a lot to begin with. The match-up was 60 marines vs 40 xenos before first engagement. I do not think victory was realistic, however I think that pulling out before casualties pile too high is the best option, to save the most lives you can.

If you want to hear another round you can either PM me at Fortelian#3308 on discord or ask here.

P.S I may have gotten some facts wrong, but I am quite certain that was the general flow of the round, let me know if I mixed something up, I may have forgotten.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate that you talked to at least three of us for help after your last application was denied, that is a major plus in my books.

That being said I'll be reviewing your answers later and possibly waiting on more feedback from the community too before I vote.

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good responses. I'll +1 this.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.