Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

naut - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Nauticall

Player Name You Use Most?
    Samantha Maverick

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    None.

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No.

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    I believe that Battlefield Execution is a tool that should be used as an absolute last resort, when either a regular execution or apprehension cannot be delivered safely or effectively - an example of this would be someone actively and purposefully shooting down fellow marines, or if they pose a direct and capable threat to either me or other command and CIC staff. An armed breaking-and-entering of the CIC by a Marine would be a prime example.

Battlefield Execution differs from normal execution in that a regular execution is carried out by trial and judicial due process with a reading of rights as well as several opportunities for the accused to either appeal or voice their last words.
    BE bypasses all due process and serves to effectively kill the offending party in as quick of a manner as possible if only to prevent further damage.

Other methods of prosecution including brig time and even regular execution should be preferred over BE, as it allows the prisoner to be judged fairly.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    My Commanding Officer will run the ship prioritizing whichever task is most critical, defaulting to the ground side operation.
    In the event of a personnel shortage I would be willing and able to, to the best of my ability, fill in whatever vital role(s) shipside are most critical to the operation if the XO, SOs, and Synths are unavailable to do so.

Insubordinate personnel can and would be asked beforehand the reasons behind their behavior as well as what would let them be able to or be willing to do their job again. The MPs serve as a fallback should the person-of-interest be either uncooperative, violent or threatening.

For requisitions, specifically, a diplomatic approach would be preferred as well as possibly teaching them how to do requisitions properly. A CT, for example, might get angry due to people always yelling at them while they try to learn the ropes. I’d try to talk to them first, see what the problem is, and if they’re uncooperative or refuse to return to work, have them arrested for neglect of duty.
    If they occupy a role that can’t be safely filled in by another CT, such as in the event that no other RO or CT is awake, I’d either appoint a Synth, staff officer or the XO to perform requisitions if overwatch isn’t a priority, or I’d do it myself depending on how critical requisitions is as the moment.

Engineering is a vital aspect of shipside operations and, without them, there'd be no power, rendering the CIC useless. Insubordinate personnel in engineering would have to be dealt with, quickly. Tell them how vital they are to the operation and, if that fails, attempt to either have a trained engineer fill in their place or the Synth while they are arrested.

Military Police can be potentially deadly due to their increased capability of takedown and combat against people they might have a fight with. In the event of insubordination, it would be necessary to hold them up with greater punishments than that of a normal Marine arrested for the same crime, as they are an MP they should know the law very well and wouldn’t be able to get away with ignorance.
    If they do something outwardly violating SOP or Marine Law, such as deploying planetside without permission, then they should be arrested by either a fellow MP officer or a Staff Officer and held to potential execution if their acts were severe enough, such as executing a Marine for anything less than a capital crime.

Command Staff have the capability to make the operation swing around drastically through either misinformation, danger-close OBs or neglect of duty. Insubordination cannot and should not be tolerated within the CIC, and immediate arrest and holding for neglect of duty should be prescribed immediately if they either fail to do their duty or fail to care for the operation or those they are in charge of. If they pose a direct danger to those under their overwatch they should be arrested or taken down immediately and have someone else fill in for them.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The job of a Commander/Commanding Officer is for supervision, administration and operations control. They’re meant to be the leaders of the operation and should be willing and able to take responsibility for whatever happens both planetside and shipside.

COs should be instructing and ordering their command team on what to do and layout their general strategy for how they want the operation to go, and delegate to their command team and XO accordingly.
    However, a CO is not there to micromanage; they can perform shipside duties or other critical tasks if the need arises but should prefer to delegate to a capable crewmember to perform such a task, such as a SO for manning requisitions.

Should the CO deploy they can act as the squad leader of squad leaders - a central point in a large operation to command every planetside Marine to victory. Oftentimes the arrival of a Captain on the ground gives Marines a symbol of hope as well as symbolizing that the CIC up in the sky hasn’t forgotten about them at all.

From an OOC standpoint, the CO should serve to hold themselves to a higher degree of roleplaying and professionalism than other roles as to lay a benchmark for what command looks like. The first step to making the marines on the ground take you seriously is for you to look like you know what you’re saying and that you mean it.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    Someone’s said this before, but a sort of “master overwatch console” in the captain’s chair would be a great addition to have. Oftentimes as a SO I get disrupted by the XO or CO coming over to check up on my console, so giving them their own station to let them be able to look at Marines without disrupting SOs would be a great addition to the CIC, if only a minor one.

Another thing that could be added, potentially, is for the CO’s command tablet to have inbuilt ID modification so they can modify access on-the-spot for someone who requires it. It would be locked to the CO (or the XO) regardless of who’s signed in similar to medal recommendation to prevent abuse by anyone else who might get a hold of the tablet.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I could contribute to the community from being whitelisted by providing a higher standard of roleplay and professionalism than that typically exhibited in CM. While I might be or look overly serious, I’ll try to keep a sense of humor up so that people don’t take me like a stone wall.

As the Commander, I can also serve as a benchmark for others to look towards and to have a role model in terms of professionalism and competence. I want to be an effective leader as well as a communicator to both boost morale and be there to guide anyone who needs help or tutoring with either gameplay mechanics or IC stuff when a mentor or SEA isn’t around to do the same.

I personally think that after many rounds of XO and SO, and after learning the tactics, strategies, and losses of lots of operations that I am willing to accept the responsibility of being the head of the entire Marine force onboard the Almayer. I’ve been placed as acting Commanding Officer many times on low-pop rounds due to my currently unusual timezone (subject to change in mid-April) so I feel as if moving to the proper role itself rather than being acting would be desirable.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    They called themselves the Colonial Liberation Front.
    A ragtag group of disgruntled colonists armed with scavenged 20th-century weapons at Tychon’s Rift. They’d made threats before, but this planet - LV-550 - was a hotspot for Colonials, or, as Captain Samantha Maverick called them, the “Collies”.

She remembered a friend of hers a while back, then-Captain David McLemore, telling her the story of how the USS Alistoun had failed to quell the CLF activity in this sector, let alone this planet, without suffering heavy casualties in the process. They were back, he had told her, and with more force and strength than the Alistoun had ever seen.

But the USS Almayer was ready. She and her complement of Falling Falcons might not be the top of the line, but it was better than what the Alistoun had to offer - and with a new Captain onboard as well. She’d been careful not to underestimate them.

And that’s exactly what she ordered her marines at the briefing at 12:20, four hours ago. “What they lack in power they gain in numbers,” she’d said, remembering the words from McLemore. “What you’ll want to do ain’t precision assassinations, but suppressive fire.
    “That’s why we’re putting special attention to the gun teams we have today on each squad. I hope you packed a lot of ammo, fellas, ‘cause you’ve got lotta targets to pick off.”

Now she sat in her chair, regularly checking in with her LTs in front as they buried themselves in the screens, almost as if they were playing a video game.

She’d hoped it’d still have been an easy fight - the USCM had brought a larger battalion, better armed and ready for the CLF insurrectionists on LV-550.

Evidently it wasn’t enough.

Word quickly spread throughout the CIC, from her LTs shouting over the radios that marines were dropping. Quickly. She came over to the screens as it focused on the camera of a Marine charging forward and firing at the enemy. He shot down two CLF troopers only for his camera to quickly turn towards the sky, a loud thud sounding on the feed, tracer rounds soaring ahead.

14:46. The colony’s red sun was setting, and Maverick needed to get the operation done before sundown.

“Gather the forces around the spire here--” she pointed to a prominent tower on the tactical map-- “and order a full assault on my mark. We’re pushing.”

She moved to the microphone at the center of the Almayer and began an announcement for Alpha and Charlie to push forward and act as bait, while Delta and a Bravo QRF would sweep from the side and move into an area the IOs quickly relayed as insecure. They might be superior in number, Maverick thought, but numbers are all they’ve got. None of the Collies have got anything worthy of being called military-grade training, not by USCM standards.

She sat back and paced around the CIC as the LTs relayed orders about men falling, pushes beginning, gunshots taking down CLF members left and right. The push was working--with heavy losses, sure, but it was working.

Forty minutes of endless firefights until the remaining CLF grunts retreated, stepping over the heaping bodies that littered the grounds.

“How many Collies were there, Commander?” Maverick said, turning back to her XO standing by the captain’s chair.

“More than five hundred.”

“Damn.” She looked back at the consoles. They all showed marines cheering as they successfully moved to occupy the rest of the colony and take control for the sake of the United Americas.

This is just the beginning of the long haul the Almayer had in stock for her and her crew.

And the new enemies she’d face, now-Vice Admiral McLemore told her, would be unlike anything she’d ever seen.

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by naut; 03-14-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah good lad with a crazy haircut. I’ve seen you main XO and I believe you are fit for a Captain.

But keep in mind the main responsibility for a commander is to effectively get the job done while they may give great interactions at the same time. Marines will be looking up to you, so give them a good example to follow. And I don't give a fuck about your activity in the forum. I like the way you handle things in command so I like you. End of story.

Have courage and be robust. I wish you the best with the application. +1

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enyonggg View Post
    Yeah good lad with a crazy haircut. I’ve seen you main XO and I believe you are fit for a Captain.

But keep in mind the main responsibility for a commander is to effectively get the job done while they may give great interactions at the same time. Marines will be looking up to you, so give them a good example to follow. And I don't give a fuck about your activity in the forum. I like the way you handle things in command so I like you. End of story.

Have courage and be robust. I wish you the best with the application. +1
    Noted, thanks for the +1! ^^
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a good app, but I do not think I have seen you in command. However, those medals, and Enyonggg convince me that you do play command, so it may be time zones or such. I can't see any faults in your app, so I'll have to...

+1
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Improving as a CO is knowing how to be self-critical and I like whitelisted players who care enough about the game to want to improve their gameplay. If you would, briefly describe one of your XO rounds where you lost and diagnose the cause of said loss.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teafortwo View Post
    Improving as a CO is knowing how to be self-critical and I like whitelisted players who care enough about the game to want to improve their gameplay. If you would, briefly describe one of your XO rounds where you lost and diagnose the cause of said loss.
    So the round was on Prison Station. I was still a fresh XO back then and wasn't exactly skilled in the art of beginning-to-end operation lead. There was no CO who woke up, so I took charge as aCO with about 1-2 SOs under my wing, I don't really remember the specifics.

Since I had very little sense of what "strategy" actually looked like (I know a lot more now), I gave a heavily flawed and vague battle plan to the marines at briefing: for Alpha to "go north", Delta to "go south". Charlie was at power restoration and Bravo was on FOB duty, so at least that much was standard procedure.

Since I'd only specified for the squads to go in a general direction rather than hold a specific point the squads at the north and south defaulted to a westward push towards the chapel and medsec, respectively. Alpha had run into trouble around max sec up north, so I sent Delta and Charlie up to maxsec to immediately reinforce them.

Unfortunately, as I later learned, the Xenos had actually flanked through the south and the yard while we weren't paying attention and, as I failed to order a team to secure the route from maxsec to the FOB, Alpha, Charlie and Delta were all simultaneously trapped and surrounded in maxsec, being picked off as the chokepoints were severely contested. The squads eventually collapsed and the remaining went for a full evac towards the Alamo.

In summary, the critical mistakes I made were:
    - Giving marines too vague of a plan during brief (only saying to go in a general direction)
    - Failing to order the securing of an evac or escape corridor for offensive squads to fall back to
    - Giving too much blind autonomy to squads and not relaying enough specific orders on announcements (SLs were only going where the fighting was, not knowing about the big picture)
    - Encouraging a direct offensive instead of holding the line and picking off targets, as would be appropriate once a stronghold was established.
    - Failing to recognize chokepoints and flanking routes that Xenos could use to their advantage

While I acknowledge that SLs should practice autonomy on their own and that not everything was my own fault, I feel like the lacking orders I have given have contributed to the loss of the operation.
    Last edited by naut; 03-15-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: clarification
    Synthetic Tara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yeah it probably is a timezone issue ;-;

I live on the literal opposite side of the world from the US east coast (at least until mid-late April) so my average hours for playing are around 10 PM-10 AM EST... hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your Opinion, What do you think a CO should focus regarding the flow of the round itself and not exactly the strategical part of the game ?
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smov View Post
    In your Opinion, What do you think a CO should focus regarding the flow of the round itself and not exactly the strategical part of the game ?
    In my opinion, in addition to commanding the operation and the marines, the CO simultaneously functions as a sort of role model for the marines to look up to, as well as having them participate in RP events (such as talks with the CL) to spice up the round a little bit shipside and not make it boring.

The CO serves to make the round interesting, or at least as interesting as they can make it. By providing an RP platform for marines, CIC, shipside personnel and CLs alike to interact with, the CO can prevent rounds from being monotonous and can inject a little bit of variety into it through their own little ways, however large or small they may be.
    Last edited by naut; 03-15-2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added an addendum
    Synthetic Tara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Epic gamer, +1