User Tag List

Thread: UnwaveringGrey - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UnwaveringGrey - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    UnwaveringGrey

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    C# currently, but I've worked professionally in PHP, javascript, SQL, vbscript. I've worked for small projects in a few more.

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    No, but I've been messing around with the TGMC branch and learning DM for a few months.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    Added a new type of suit storage. It allows a pouch to be attached to a suit and that pouch's storage is used instead. Holsters and MDs can be attached as well.
    https://github.com/unwaveringgrey/Te...Attachments_v2
    (There's also a v1 branch called simply ArmorUpdate, which is the same changes but not implemented as cleanly.)

How well do you know Git?
    I'm not a guru, but I have worked with it professionally.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I wanted to donate some money, but when I tried to I found that donations have been closed for a while now. I figured I could donate some time instead. I'm not looking to make sweeping changes to the game, but rather to fix bugs or address QoL issues. Especially bugs with alternate maps/game modes. I would love to cooperate with some of the admins to make it easier for them to run events.

I understand if I don't have enough of a proof of work. I have more ideas for projects, so I can code up a few more things and try again in a month or two if preferable.

Oh, and the sprites in the project that I did are passable at best. I had fun playing around with those and learning how the spriting works, but don't judge me too hard for those. I have no aspirations of spriting.
    Last edited by UnwaveringGrey; 03-16-2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just updating this. Still here. Still interested in developing for CM. In the middle of another project to bolster my application, but there's a lot of code refactoring involved in my new pet project.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the late reply. We honestly seem to have forgotten about you in the process of moving to open-source, so I apologize heavily.

What do you like about CM?

We'll aim to have this resolved by the end of this week.
    Last edited by Vampmare; 04-13-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    A small part of the Synthetic Council

with Jakkk, AcuteCircle, Pedroca2lucas and Kineem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need for apologies. I technically submitted my application two hours after Neth announced that dev applications were closed. I've been expecting to wait a few months until the whole open source transition was done before my application got looked at.

As for your question:

I got back into SS13 about a year ago because I wanted a game with roleplaying, funny moments, a real depth of gameplay. The server that I had played on originally years ago was gone and I tried a few different servers looking for one that fit. I found that I liked the structure of CM. Not the "structure" of having somewhat repetitive rounds where two maps are played 90% of the time with set metas for where to deploy and put up defenses. There's a certain structure that comes into the game from the idea that all of the players are working towards the same goal as their side. The gameplay is engaging, and that encourages people to work towards their team's goal rather than just running off to do their own thing. That differs a lot from other stations, where in a given round botany is trying to grow drugs, the engineers set up the SM and then fuck off to do a personal project, cargo declares itself an independent station-state, and security is too busy fighting with a robust clown to care about the antag, let alone the rest of the departments. In every round everyone is trying to do their own thing and chaos ensues. That just doesn't fly in CM. Even if the mods wouldn't get on your case for not doing your job in CM the marines would mutiny. The only other server that kinda had that same order to the rounds was bay, but bay just didn't appeal as much.

I'm a big fan of the gameplay as well. When I try to explain CM to my friends I try to put it into terms that they understand as LoL players. "Imagine one team has ten players and the other team has 30, but the team with ten players is level 6 and the team with thirty are all level 1 or 2. The levels are locked, and if you get caught out of position and die then you're dead for the entire hour and a half round." They all still refuse to play this game with me, but in a weird way that description really sums up CM nicely. It has way more depth that LoL, and on top of that there's all of the things you need to learn for fighting an asymetric fight. Throw in the RP elements on top of that and you have a good time. By the time you learn the positioning, the loadouts, the macros, and the tips and tricks for your preferred job/caste there's a huge depth of gameplay. Also an insane skill ceiling with a respectable learning curve, akin to Eve online...

I'm also a fan of the asymmetric gameplay and the 80's retro future feel. I cut my teeth on an asymmetric game (BF 2142) as a kid, and I've loved them since. I have a lot of respect for the devs for trying to keep this whole monstrosity balanced and fun for everyone. More so now that I'm familiar with the codebase. And 80's corporate dystopian retro future just rocks.