User Tag List

Thread: Staff Report - Dusanking123 (I believe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staff Report - Dusanking123 (I believe)

Staff Report
    Your BYOND Key
    Destrok
    Date of Incident
    March 20, 2020
    Your Character Name?
    Manuel Conrad
    Their BYOND Key
    Dusanking123 (I believe)
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    Like 9:30 central US time, no clue.
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Enforcement of the Rules
    Description of the incident
    First off I want to mention that I couldn't really find the proper protocols - so I just chose the code of conduct most related to the situation.

Essentially I was noted for what I believe to be Improper Escalation. At least that's what I was told, since the situation was handled entirely in discord DMs.

The only rule that this could possibly fall under is Rule 14. So here's the rule as written:

Rule 14. Lethal Force - Do not attack another player without a legitimate, explainable roleplay reason that could be applied in a similar, real-life scenario. A fist fight does not suddenly escalate into a gun fight. Even if you are justified, you are still susceptible to Marine Law.

And now a description of the incident:

I joined into an LV-624 round at roughly 13:30 round time. I was greeted by a pitch black cryoroom and a bioscan sounding 15 xenos. This round, although I did not know it yet, was one with an admin event ran by Taketheshot.

Regardless, I figured that only a few things could be happening. There was a boarding, there was a lurker on board, or, very unlikely, engineering was having issues (it's almost fucking impossible to run out of power).

So I ran to get fed and geared ASAP. The first thing I heard on my comms was something about the ARES core and then something about an UPP boarding.

So you have to understand what my character and myself were thinking. From my character's POV, he had just woken up to a damaged ship with no lights and the first talk he heard was of a boarding by UPP.

And as for myself, I joined into what I thought must be either an event or an onboard xeno.

I move on to get my weaponry, and start loading my shotgun with buckshot and my carbine with its ammo. Then I see a group of Deltas. I wasn't paying much attention to their talk because I was just shitposting on discord about Halo or whatever and putting on some music, but I did hear talks of a "mutiny" which only added to my paranoia both IC and OOC.

Then I notice that not only cryo and delta prep are lacking lights, basically the entire ship was. I keep hearing talk about UPP so I start loading slugs and get ready to frag. Of course, there were no UPP. I saw some RMPs running around doing nothing much. This unnerved me, because I also heard talk of RMPs near the ARES core or whatever.

I gather with some other marines. They seem to be near the lower port pods, next to the maintenance shaft, so I assume they're awatiing a boarding party or something and I remain with them. There they start talking. Eventually an RMP comes to us. He was suspicious as hell and was super silent.

Eventually some charlie or delta marine decided to fucking prime a HEFA grenade for some reason and lob it at the MP. I ran as close to the maintenance hatch as I could and rested, as did some others. The RMP took minimal damage from the shrapnel.

Now, what I'd expect to happen is for the RMP to pull out his baton, flash, tazer or whatever and arrest the person who just threw a literal GRENADE at him. No.

He pulls out a grenade launcher and shoots tear gas into the people besides me.

So this RMP has literally just broken Marine Law and is using AOE weaponry to try to dispatch of all of us - both me ICly and OOCly assume that this is some sort of disguised UPP or whatever so I pull out my carbine and give him a couple shots. He seems to be practically useless and tries firing at us with a onehanded shotgun, missing all of us. Eventually some PFC runs up to him and PBs him, finishing him off. Then some other one starts buckshotting his corpse, I assume to permakill him.

So, in essence, what happened here?

I did nothing wrong at the start. Some PFC decided to lob a grenade at this RMP and he completely failed to follow ML in how he handled the situation. I had no reason to believe, in THAT situation, that he wasn't a hostile. Read over my description of the ship that I just made. So many things that could ICly lead me to believe that the ship was in danger, being boarded. And then an unknown mute throws a tear gas grenade at me for doing nothing. What was the appropiate response there?

Start punching him? Run away? No, I defended myself and the people around me who had also done no wrong. If we read the rule again, the only requirement to attack a player is to have a legitimate, explainable roleplay reason to do so. And I had one.

I believe that I was completely in the right to do what I did considering I didn't even kill him. I believe I shot him twice or thrice with my carbine. There is no time to hesitate when dealing with what you believe to be a hostile.
    Evidence
    Combat logs from the round. I have the full discord DM logs between me and the (who I assume to be) issuing moderator.
    How you would punish the accused
    No punishment, remove my note. I care a lot about my note history and I don't want to see it tarnished by what I believe is a completely unreasonable note.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing the RMP did was illegal, as the Admin who sent them in, they were given broad authority at the start to deal with the ship. A marine threw a grenade, a LETHAL destructive weapon. The Marines threw a lethal weapon at the MP and he returned with a teargas grenade AS HE WAS AUTHORIZED TO DO. You decided to grief him by shooting him up.
    Former member of the Commanders Council, PM me if you want help with making a whitelist or have a question.

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one of the mods who helped Duskan out here, it is IE due to your returning fire against the RMP with lethal force when they themselves were using non-lethals.

Also it was said multiple times that the RMPs are infact USCM and hell, there was even an MOOC regarding a mutiny (Which was over the RMPs) which was quickly shot down by staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not online at the time of either of these announcements. The first MOOC I saw I believe was after I had fired at the RMP and it was something along the lines of "don't grief, marines" and then another one saying "don't grief, RMPs". Moreover I don't think the RMP was justified in throwing tear gas at me because I, along with every other marine except for the grenadier, ran away from the grenade and went to a maintenance door near the pods, and the RMP chose to fire a grenade at our group rather than incapacitating the man who just tried to kill him.

So, not being aware that the RMPs are confirmed USCM, and having heard all of this about UPP and a core breach, and the entire ship being dark, I am supposed to assume everything is working as usual and the RMPs who showed up out of nowhere and are not even saying a word as they approach friendly?
    Waiting for lagless CM
    Manuel Conrad - Human
    Alexander Keys - Human (Command)
    SA-D5 - Xenomorph
    Har'Kittak - Yautja
    Thomas - Synthetic

I'm awesome

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destrok View Post
    I was not online at the time of either of these announcements. The first MOOC I saw I believe was after I had fired at the RMP and it was something along the lines of "don't grief, marines" and then another one saying "don't grief, RMPs". Moreover I don't think the RMP was justified in throwing tear gas at me because I, along with every other marine except for the grenadier, ran away from the grenade and went to a maintenance door near the pods, and the RMP chose to fire a grenade at our group rather than incapacitating the man who just tried to kill him.

So, not being aware that the RMPs are confirmed USCM, and having heard all of this about UPP and a core breach, and the entire ship being dark, I am supposed to assume everything is working as usual and the RMPs who showed up out of nowhere and are not even saying a word as they approach friendly?
    Yes.

RMPs are clearly not, nor have they ever been UPP. Youve been on this server for a long time and know wearing another sides uniform isnt allowed.
    Former member of the Commanders Council, PM me if you want help with making a whitelist or have a question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nowhere is this uniform rule actually written down, it's a ruling admins use on special HVH events as far as I'm aware. Admins are also able to twist rules by using rule 0 so those RMPs easily could've had Type 71s and a red flag under their riot armour. I acted with the information I had ICly, as this is supposed to be a roleplay server, I acted in a way I found reasonable within RP.
    Waiting for lagless CM
    Manuel Conrad - Human
    Alexander Keys - Human (Command)
    SA-D5 - Xenomorph
    Har'Kittak - Yautja
    Thomas - Synthetic

I'm awesome

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply find the assertion that a man dressed as a RMP, who used a non-lethal security tool in response to being shot at, could reasonably be seen as a hostile UPP entity a little too far off the mark here. On one hand you suggest he doesn't seem friendly, but it's clear he hadn't done anything to anyone until a grenade was tossed at him. By that alone it's pretty evident he's not hostile, but responding (as an MP naturally would) to being attacked.

You simply misread the circumstances; and that happens. Especially during events, where things are more up in the air, it's easier to fly off the handle and assume something that might not otherwise be the case. But the fact it was an honest mistake doesn't exempt you from any OOC consequences if you committed a rulebreak; in this case, you received a note for responding lethally to an MP, and I believe that note more-than-reflects the situation at-hand.

Resolved; no action taken.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.